Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why can't Americans drive ?

Why can't Americans drive ?

Old Jun 12th 2007, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

broma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nice
Default Re: Why can't Americans drive ?

Originally Posted by Dan725
I concur, worst drivers in the world.

I think the main reason for it is that they are too busy yacking on the phone, drinking 32oz coffees and eating burgers; Americans spend so much time in the car they feel they have to "Multi-task", as it were.

Other reasons why they are so bad:

- The driving test is not really a test, is it, more of a joke, hence people who would fail the test in Europe can easily get on the road.

- Poor Traffic laws - because they do not do lane discipline, it encourages people to swerve around between cars. Equally, the slow ones who just mong it along in the same lane.....well, they are not doing anything wrong are they? And because they are in the way, it encourages other people to swerve around......and so it goes.

- Zero patience. In this now now now and me me me society, there is an overriding sense of righteousness on American roads (you can call it rudeness, actually) - if people were a bit more tolerant of each other it would be better.

- Drunken Drivers - prolific.

Here, Here I agree with this totally!!!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 4:43 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
The law in Florida requires you to slow to 20mph under the limit and if possible move over one lane. I think Georgia and Tennessee are the same
Professional drivers should know all this ...
Old Jun 12th 2007, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

The law in Florida requires you to slow to 20mph under the limit and if possible move over one lane. I think Georgia and Tennessee are the same
In AZ you have to move to the left (even on a two lane road) and slow down/proceed with caution.

One thing I have noticed is the behaviour of drivers when an emergency vehicle is coming towards them, on the opposite side of the road. Even on a wide four or six lane road with light traffic they come to a complete stop until the ambulance/police car/whatever has passed by. Does this happen elsewhere? The AZ driver manual only says you need to stop when the emergency vehicle is travelling in the same direction as you are.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 5:49 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
1. Drivers Ed does a lousy job.
I think it's more that it's not required than that the trainers do a bad job.
2. The driving test is way too easy to pass.
That I totally agree with.
3. There is no social stigma in some areas if you drive without a license.
Really? Where?
4. Driving standards/techniques are very different in different areas.
I've lived all over this country and havent noticed that at all. There are good drivers and bad drivers everywhere.
5. Bad Eyesight of many elderly drivers is not grounds for disqualification.
Totally agree with this as well. Unfortunately, the only people that vote in this country are the elderly. Also, the vast majority this country is obviously set up for driving: if you can't drive, you're seriously incapacitated. Because of this, we'll never have sensible license revocation laws.
6. Arrogance is an American epidemic "My truck, My road, My way".
Yes, arrogance is a uniquely American trait (he says as he reads yet another thread here/article in the British press about how all of us Americans are complete fools and how superior everything and everyone in the UK is.)

I agree with what you're saying, though. People have become much less considerate on the roads than they were when I learned to drive. I think it's mainly because the volume on American roads has skyrocketed in the past few decades and the infrastructure hasn't caught up yet. People get frustrated and act like assholes.

Having said that, it's a few bad apples spoiling the bunch. I've noticed that most people are driving reasonably while a few are causing multiple problems everywhere they go. It's the old 80/20 rule.

Last edited by Hiro11; Jun 12th 2007 at 5:52 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 6:06 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsnichol
In AZ you have to move to the left (even on a two lane road) and slow down/proceed with caution.

One thing I have noticed is the behaviour of drivers when an emergency vehicle is coming towards them, on the opposite side of the road. Even on a wide four or six lane road with light traffic they come to a complete stop until the ambulance/police car/whatever has passed by. Does this happen elsewhere? The AZ driver manual only says you need to stop when the emergency vehicle is travelling in the same direction as you are.
I generally do it because in a big city I often see the trucks having to swerve into oncoming traffic just to get past the one idiot who doesn't want to yield and blocks his way.

When you have a big firetruck with 750 gallons of water inside heading down the road (and a ton of inertia--those things don't stop on a dime by any strech) I prefer to give them as much room as possible to get to where they are going.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 6:24 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
I think the main reason for it is that they are too busy yacking on the phone, drinking 32oz coffees and eating burgers;
my sentiments exactly

defensive driving is a much needed skill if you move here....
Old Jun 12th 2007, 6:35 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
my sentiments exactly

defensive driving is a much needed skill if you move here....
doesn't hurt in Germany either..........ein volk, ein reicht, ein autobahn!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 7:50 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11

Really? Where?
We have huge numbers of people in this area driving without license or insurance. In some segments of the population it is almost the norm.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:00 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I didn't know that.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:06 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
I didn't know that.
See post 16...
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:10 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
We have huge numbers of people in this area driving without license or insurance. In some segments of the population it is almost the norm.
My DH never had a license in England, family never had a car, so no one had a license.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

Haven't been to Saratoga, NY as of yet, even though it is on our way to Lake George and Quebec.
Saratoga has the best high street in the USA during summer It's very beautiful, full of street side cafes and rich people sitting in them, About a mile north of the center on route 50, turn right and there is the nearest thing to a real English pub I have seen over here. 'The Old Bryan Inn'
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

I blame the Police.....Its all their fault !!!!. if they weren't there, no one would slow down or be frightened when they saw them across the highway ?.For those of you who said they have faults with their driving,I think its great. Just think, you too could be the cause of an accident because you werent competant enough or be bothered to increase your driving skills once you passed your original test.I just hope you don't own or fire a gun. because a vehicle is just as much a lethal weapon,with the same results........There are no excuses for bad driving or stupidity.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:53 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
I .I just hope you don't own or fire a gun. because a vehicle is just as much a lethal weapon,with the same results........There are no excuses for bad driving or stupidity.
Oh !! shut up.... we have to help contol the population explosion...
Old Jun 12th 2007, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray
See post 16...
Ah, it came back to me. Was after some coppers were killed when they pulled folk over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.