Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wedding List - what's the ettiquette?

Wedding List - what's the ettiquette?

Old Jun 14th 2008, 11:56 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wedding List - what's the ettiquette?

Originally Posted by basementwaj
You heard me.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 1:36 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
You heard me.
date set yet?
Old Jun 15th 2008, 3:27 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
date set yet?
Well if I could get my honey Jack Bauer on the phone for once I might have one set.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK these days I would say it's the norm to have a card inserted inside the invitation with details of your wedding list(s).

People (usually older relatives) who don't like the idea of list will just get you what they want anyway.

Where and when are you getting married?
Old Jun 15th 2008, 9:11 am
TKO
Sweatin' it up in Bama

TKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really nice

Getting married in Gatlinburg, TN on the 19th of July.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 10:25 am
Riding on silver wings

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
In the UK these days I would say it's the norm to have a card inserted inside the invitation with details of your wedding list(s).

People (usually older relatives) who don't like the idea of list will just get you what they want anyway.

Where and when are you getting married?
It's different in the US. It's a faux pas here. It's best to keep it word of mouth. Consult US wedding etiquette books or online etiquette resources for your answer.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TKO
Getting married in Gatlinburg, TN on the 19th of July.
no shit. huh. i go there a lot on business.

I know of a great place to stay (for your guests) if you want the name, PM me.

So you in TN then?
Old Jun 15th 2008, 2:07 pm
TKO
Sweatin' it up in Bama

TKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really nice

No, just going there for the wedding and the honeymoon. First place we went together - even managed to book the same cabin - lovely times. Figured it was a fun place for people to come to from the UK and make a bit of a holiday out of it too. Most are gonna head off into the Appalachians a day or two after the wedding.

We'll be living in Hoover, AL.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 2:48 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist

This reminds me to clarify my earlier point. It is not customary to include all of the details of the bridal registry, but just to identify where you are registered. It is expected that the guests will either get the details on their own or ignore it.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 4:28 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TKO
Getting married on the 19th of July and the wife signed us up for a wedding list yesterday with Bed Bath and Beyond. Pretty useful for us setting up home.

But how do you tell people about it?

Do you announce it to your guests?

Do you mention it in a seperate sheet included in with the wedding invites?

How about friends and family who haven't been invited?

Do you wait to be asked by people and then tell them about it?

Do the "rules" on this differ between the UK and the US?

I generally hate asking for things, but I also appreciate people do like to buy things for their nearest and dearest when they are getting married, and there is the chance people could be insulted if not included when there is a wedding list.

What say y'all?
Hi:

A card is put in the wedding invitation. Done all the time.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
i prefer to be told in the invite if there is a list.

I have also receieved a little envelope in the card with a poem on. The poem explained they would prefer cash as they already had toasters etc - and if people wanted to give something (and it was optional) then you put it in the envelope and pinned it to a money tree they had in the venue. (basically a branch sprayed gold and planted in a tub). Felt a bit odd doing it that way but it was what they wanted!
While that may be easier, it's considered in very bad form in the US believe it or not. Of course, that doesn't mean it isn't done from time to time. There is actually a site that shows registries for many stores all in one search: www.weddingchannel.com.

People will ask where a couple is registered and word will get out.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
It's different in the US. It's a faux pas here. It's best to keep it word of mouth. Consult US wedding etiquette books or online etiquette resources for your answer.
I agree Uga! I'm surprised at how many people are recommending including this info in the invitation - I've always been taught this was an absolute no.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
I agree Uga! I'm surprised at how many people are recommending including this info in the invitation - I've always been taught this was an absolute no.
I've been to two wedding since we've lived here, one had the registry info in with the invitation and one didn't. I don' think there's anything wrong in putting it in with the invitation personally.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 5:25 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
I've been to two wedding since we've lived here, one had the registry info in with the invitation and one didn't. I don' think there's anything wrong in putting it in with the invitation personally.
might depend on where you are in the USA - my Mrs says it's not the done thing in the south
Old Jun 15th 2008, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
We've been married for 10 years this coming August, we had a list but decided not to include the cards that the store gave us in the invites. At the time is wasn't really the done thing and we figured that some people would be a bit miffed.
I've been to a ton of weddings since then and I think pretty much of all of them had some kind of info in the invite about where they had a list registered.

I've only been to one wedding in the USA where I was a bridesmaid and my husband was a groomsman, I was a bit taken aback to discover that we were both expected to pay for our respective outfits (my husband had to hire a kilt), which is the complete opposite to the UK where the bride/groom would pay for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.