Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wedding List - what's the ettiquette?

Wedding List - what's the ettiquette?

Old Jun 14th 2008, 8:16 am
TKO
Sweatin' it up in Bama

TKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really nice
Default Wedding List - what's the ettiquette?

Getting married on the 19th of July and the wife signed us up for a wedding list yesterday with Bed Bath and Beyond. Pretty useful for us setting up home.

But how do you tell people about it?

Do you announce it to your guests?

Do you mention it in a seperate sheet included in with the wedding invites?

How about friends and family who haven't been invited?

Do you wait to be asked by people and then tell them about it?

Do the "rules" on this differ between the UK and the US?

I generally hate asking for things, but I also appreciate people do like to buy things for their nearest and dearest when they are getting married, and there is the chance people could be insulted if not included when there is a wedding list.

What say y'all?
Old Jun 14th 2008, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wedding List - what's the ettiquette?

Congrats on the wedding.
As for your question I would send out a note with the invites.
For those people who aren't invited I would mention it to them if they ask about what you would like etc. You could even print off some small cards with the bed bath and beyond web site on and if they ask hand one to them.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

I call whoever is listed on the wedding invitation as in "Mr. and Mrs. Smith invite you to the wedding of their daughter....." or whoever is throwing the shower and ask where they are registered.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 8:49 am
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Congrats on the wedding.
As for your question I would send out a note with the invites.
For those people who aren't invited I would mention it to them if they ask about what you would like etc. You could even print off some small cards with the bed bath and beyond web site on and if they ask hand one to them.
we printed out cards with a poem on (as we wanted money for the move lol) and put them in with the wedding invites for people coming to the service. For people coming in the evening we just waited till they asked and then told them
Old Jun 14th 2008, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Just went to a wedding site. The only "proper" way to notify of a registry is by word of mouth from parents or bridal party. So sit back and relax it's not your job.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 8:57 am
TKO
Sweatin' it up in Bama

TKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really nice

Splendid, thanks for the input.

Apparently she's having a wedding shower (didn't know about them) so i guess people Stateside will ask or be told during the organising of that.

As for my 'orrible lot over 'ere, i'll send an email round confirming my visa is issued, the wedding is all booked and i'm all set to go and see if anyone responds with a question about gifts.

The invites are "Mr TKO and the future Mrs TKO invite you too..." as opposed to our parents, so I guess people who "do a bevinva" will contact us, and we can tell them.

Old Jun 14th 2008, 8:59 am
TKO
Sweatin' it up in Bama

Originally Posted by bevinva
Just went to a wedding site. The only "proper" way to notify of a registry is by word of mouth from parents or bridal party. So sit back and relax it's not your job.

I love when the answer to a question is to do nothing as it aint my problem!
Old Jun 14th 2008, 9:19 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva
I think that is how it generally works. We created some online registries at a few places and when people asked we told them the stores they could check to find things.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TKO
Getting married on the 19th of July and the wife signed us up for a wedding list yesterday with Bed Bath and Beyond. Pretty useful for us setting up home.

But how do you tell people about it?

Do you announce it to your guests?

Do you mention it in a seperate sheet included in with the wedding invites?

How about friends and family who haven't been invited?

Do you wait to be asked by people and then tell them about it?

Do the "rules" on this differ between the UK and the US?

I generally hate asking for things, but I also appreciate people do like to buy things for their nearest and dearest when they are getting married, and there is the chance people could be insulted if not included when there is a wedding list.

What say y'all?
you should send the people invites telling them that the cheap people should buy from BB&B. Anyone that isnt a cheap bastard should shop at Pottery Barn. The reception will be segregated.
BB&B will eat left over McD's from the trash, the PB side will get gormet food.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 9:49 am
TKO
Sweatin' it up in Bama

Interesting idea ...

I'll keep that as Plan B in case no-one has ordered us the matching bathroom wastepaper bin and soap dish by the start of July.

Left over McDonalds you say ... who wouldn't eat all their McDonalds?
Old Jun 14th 2008, 10:02 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i prefer to be told in the invite if there is a list.

I have also receieved a little envelope in the card with a poem on. The poem explained they would prefer cash as they already had toasters etc - and if people wanted to give something (and it was optional) then you put it in the envelope and pinned it to a money tree they had in the venue. (basically a branch sprayed gold and planted in a tub). Felt a bit odd doing it that way but it was what they wanted!
Old Jun 14th 2008, 10:12 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by basementwaj
you should send the people invites telling them that the cheap people should buy from BB&B. Anyone that isnt a cheap bastard should shop at Pottery Barn. The reception will be segregated.
BB&B will eat left over McD's from the trash, the PB side will get gormet food.
Oh for Christ sake basementwaj! ROFLMAO Geeze! I'll try doing that for my wedding. Screw'em. It's my wedding day dammit.

Now for some real helpful info for the OP. Normally if I'm invited to a wedding I, as a guest, automatically assume that they are registered somewhere. When RSVP'ing I usually ask where they are registered. That's how I find out. I personally think it's tacky and poor taste to see it printed on the invite.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Oh for Christ sake basementwaj! ROFLMAO Geeze! I think McD's food is gormet! I'll try doing that for my wedding. Screw'em to get better gifts, the men and chicks. It's my wedding day dammit.

Now for some real helpful info for the OP, DONT DO IT!. Normally if I'm invited to a wedding I, as a guest, try to sleep with the best man. Then i think about the gift and automatically assume that they are registered somewhere. . When RSVP'ing I usually ask where they are registered. That's how I find out. I then use my IT skills to hack into the registry and change all the gifts to Jelly Beans. I personally think it's tacky and poor taste to give a gift and like to steal from the gift table.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

For our crappy wedding in Montreal after pressure from OH's family to give them an idea of what we needed, we just wrote out a list of stuff and then at the bottom said what we didn't want:

Nothing flowery

No Crystal

And for the love of god nothing Brown

(and no I'm not kidding).
Old Jun 14th 2008, 11:40 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

It's not unusual to include an insert with the invitation that includes driving directions, information about accommodation, including any special room rates that you may have negotiated for guests, and information about the bridal registry.

It's better if you include it, so that people don't have to make an extra effort to find out. Don't worry, it's not considered rude to mention it without first being asked; bridal registries are normal and it is expected that you will have at least one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.