Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US-Mexico border wall

US-Mexico border wall

Old Dec 15th 2005, 9:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US-Mexico border wall

Believe me. I grew up in New York. I know what a "s**c" is because the was a word used often in my teen years. Look at the movie production of West Side Story as proof.

It is a derogatory and racial slur and intolerable.

BTW I'm look for Nia's apology.....

Count down time?

Rete

Originally Posted by CarlM
Rete - i never knew that. Wordorigins.org has this reference;

Spic
Many believe that this derogatory term for a person of Latin American descent is a clipping of Hispanic. While this appears plausible on its face, it is not correct. Use of the term Hispanic to refer to a person of Latin American descent, especially one living in the United States, only dates to the early 1970s. The epithet spic, on the other hand, dates to the early days of the 20th century.

So if it did not come from Hispanic, where did it come from? Spic is a clipping of the adjective spiggoty which was applied to immigrants from Central and South America because they did not "spiggoty English" (speak the English). The term probably arose among Americans in Panama during the building of the canal. The abbreviated spic was in use by 1913.

The earliest known use of spiggoty is in the 14 March 1908 issue of the Saturday Evening Post:
All Americans are alike. They do not bother to learn foreign languages when they go to a foreign country, but they force the natives to learn American. So, when the Panamanians presented themselves, if the could talk English, they prefaced their attempts to cheat the Americans out of something--it really made little difference what--with the statement, accompanied by eloquent gestures: "Spik d' English." If they couldn't they said: "No spik d' English." One or the other was the universal opening of conversation, and those early Americans soon classed the whole race of men who could or could not "Spik d' Eng." as "Spikities," and from that grew the harmonious and descriptive Spigotty.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 9:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

BTW I'm look for Nia's apology.....

Count down time?

Rete
Ahhh someone beat me to it while I was on the train coming home ;-(

I get the next one !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 15th 2005, 11:59 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
Sorry no sympathy for them, they broke the law.
Don't see much difference between calling someone a wetback or a spic, both seem equally offensive.
Ohhh he broke the law, and basically deserved to die in the desert while trying to get to the US and work some minimum wage job to feed his family. It must be nice to live your life to the exact letter of the law, hope you never cheat on your taxes, jaywalk or make an illegal manoeuvre in your car, based on your draconian principles this deserves at least a public flogging or serious jail time

Last edited by Manc; Dec 16th 2005 at 1:20 am.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 12:02 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lionheart
Don't see much difference between calling someone a wetback or a spic, both seem equally offensive.
Ohhh he broke the law died in the desert while trying to get to the US and work some minimum wage job to feed his family. It must be nice to live your life to the exact letter of the law, hope you never cheat on your taxes, jaywalk or make an illegal manoeuvre in your car, based on your draconian principles this deserves at least a public flogging or serious jail time
Completly OT but love the Xmassing youve given your avatar. You should become a professional graphics artist.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 12:08 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Completly OT but love the Xmassing youve given your avatar. You should become a professional graphics artist.
Jackson Pollock (with a P) did worse and his shites hanging in museums.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 12:20 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Jackson Pollock (with a P) did worse and his shites hanging in museums.
I was thinking more Picasso
Old Dec 16th 2005, 12:26 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
I was thinking more Picasso
Or Andy Warhol?
Old Dec 16th 2005, 12:48 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Don't see much difference between calling someone a wetback or a spic, both seem equally offensive. Ohhh he broke the law, and basically deserved to die in the desert while trying to get to the US and work some minimum wage job to feed his family. It must be nice to live your life to the exact letter of the law, hope you never cheat on your taxes, jaywalk or make an illegal manoeuvre in your car, based on your draconian principles this deserves at least a public flogging or serious jail time
I agree. Very cruel and mean-spirited.

BTW, the punishment for immigration violations is generally deportment.... not death by firing squad.

I can't believe Scrumpy has become sooooo self righteous. If I recall correctly a couple of years ago he (doctor scrumpy) had to file a waiver in order to immigrate to the states (I-601 if memory serves) because of a drunk driving conviction in the UK.

How do people become so heartless?
Old Dec 16th 2005, 12:54 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I agree. Very cruel and mean-spirited.

BTW, the punishment for immigration violations is generally deportment.... not death by firing squad.

I can't believe Scrumpy has become sooooo self righteous. If I recall correctly a couple of years ago he (doctor scrumpy) had to file a waiver in order to immigrate to the states (I-601 if memory serves) because of a drunk driving conviction in the UK.

How do people become so heartless?

That's some memory you've got!

But I always suspected that you weren't just a pretty ...
Old Dec 16th 2005, 12:56 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
That's some memory you've got!

But I always suspected that you weren't just a pretty ...
LOL..... My mind is like a rusty steel trap.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 1:14 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

It's not how much you forget that matters - as long as you remember what really matters!

[OMG that's deep - did I really come up with this? ]
Old Dec 16th 2005, 1:24 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I see it was working well today though.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 1:31 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I see it was working well today though.
I do not wish to appear as an Anglophile.... yet somehow, I expect better from Brits.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 1:32 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by Elvira
It's not how much you forget that matters - as long as you remember what really matters!

[OMG that's deep - did I really come up with this? ]
You are as deep as you are wide.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 1:39 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

You are as deep as you are wide.
See when I say that to a woman I get a slap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.