Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US-Mexico border wall

Wikiposts

US-Mexico border wall

Old Dec 15th 2005, 7:05 am
Banned

Nia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really nice
Default Re: US-Mexico border wall

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Bullshit. I don't believe any Hispanic people would have tolerated you calling them that. You are a liar.

I grew up in a poor working class neighborhood. I still would be termed as "working" class as I make less than what is considered middle class in American society today.

I find the term very offensive and so would my Mexican friends and co-workers.
Sorry no bullshit, why would I bother do you really think I care what a twat like you thinks? Please.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 7:06 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

And the back-pedaling begins.

We should always try to learn from ignorance. Here's an interesting ditty I found while awaiting Nia-Nia's demise:

ETYMOLOGY: Alteration of obsolete spig, a Mexican, short for spiggoty, perhaps from an accented pronunciation of (No) speak the (English).
Source: http://www.bartleby.com/61/53/S0635300.html
Old Dec 15th 2005, 7:06 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nia_Nia
Sorry no bullshit, why would I bother do you really think I care what a twat like you thinks? Please.
Haven't heard that apology yet......
Old Dec 15th 2005, 7:07 am
Banned

Nia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really nice

Here's a little more rope......
Old Dec 15th 2005, 7:07 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
We should always try to learn from ignorance. Here's an interesting ditty I found while awaiting Nia-Nia's demise:

ETYMOLOGY: Alteration of obsolete spig, a Mexican, short for spiggoty, perhaps from an accented pronunciation of (No) speak the (English).
Source: http://www.bartleby.com/61/53/S0635300.html
Oh, I'm sure Neo-Nia will set you straight as she is an expert on all friendly racist terms that minorities love to be called.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 7:09 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I'm sure Neo-Nia will set you straight as she is an expert on all friendly racist terms that minorities love to be called.

So, what do you give as her chances of surviving the next hour on BE?
Old Dec 15th 2005, 7:09 am

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Actually the many I've met have been fine with it because its apparently only white middle class people find this term offensive. just to clarify I only started using the term because I was encouraged to by my Husband's fellow riders!
How exactly is Spic any more 'offensive' than Hispanic?

The fact is, its not the only people crowing about it know are those who want to prove something about their supposed lack of prejudice.
I've also come across many black people that call each other 'nigger'...but that doesn't exactly mean I should go about doing the same. Just a thought.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 7:10 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

I've just reset my egg timer
WTF?

I never bet on a sure thing. Rete doesn't make empty threats.
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
The term "spic" falls into the same category as the use of the word "nigger". It is a racial slur and will not be tolerated here on BE or in real life either.

Just so that you know, the term s**c refers to those of Puerto Rican descent and not Mexicans.

Either apologize immediately on this thread or be banned.

Rete
Rete - i never knew that. Wordorigins.org has this reference;

Spic
Many believe that this derogatory term for a person of Latin American descent is a clipping of Hispanic. While this appears plausible on its face, it is not correct. Use of the term Hispanic to refer to a person of Latin American descent, especially one living in the United States, only dates to the early 1970s. The epithet spic, on the other hand, dates to the early days of the 20th century.

So if it did not come from Hispanic, where did it come from? Spic is a clipping of the adjective spiggoty which was applied to immigrants from Central and South America because they did not "spiggoty English" (speak the English). The term probably arose among Americans in Panama during the building of the canal. The abbreviated spic was in use by 1913.

The earliest known use of spiggoty is in the 14 March 1908 issue of the Saturday Evening Post:
All Americans are alike. They do not bother to learn foreign languages when they go to a foreign country, but they force the natives to learn American. So, when the Panamanians presented themselves, if the could talk English, they prefaced their attempts to cheat the Americans out of something--it really made little difference what--with the statement, accompanied by eloquent gestures: "Spik d' English." If they couldn't they said: "No spik d' English." One or the other was the universal opening of conversation, and those early Americans soon classed the whole race of men who could or could not "Spik d' Eng." as "Spikities," and from that grew the harmonious and descriptive Spigotty.
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Well I didn't say anything about LEGAL spics did I? So its hardly racism is it? I wasn't damning the whole race and you should have realised that.
Might be an idea to read posts a little more carefully before screaming RACISM mate!
If I - or anyone else - used the term illegal n*****s we'd be appropriately jumped on by the rest of the board; 'spics' is just as bad.

I was hoping it would get removed.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 7:12 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by syllk
I've also come across many black people that call each other 'nigger'...but that doesn't exactly mean I should go about doing the same. Just a thought.
Oh, I'm sure Nia calls black people 'nigger' all the time. Apparently, they like it and encourage her to do so.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 7:13 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I've just reset my egg timer

My eggs are going to have that yucky green bit between the yolk and the white if this carries on.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 7:13 am
WTF?

The fat lady just sang.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 7:16 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Wow. Just goes to show really.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.