Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Old Nov 2nd 2010, 6:22 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by White-ishRose
However, I am slightly stuck on one thing - ground almonds. For a country with a huge almond producing area (California) why can I only get sliced or whole almonds? I have seen 'almond flour' for sale in pharmacies/health food shops for an alarming amount of money. I used to use a lot of ground almonds but it is very difficult to grind your own from the whole nut. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I can get the stuff?
I'm unfamiliar with the stuff, so I googled.. who knew!?
Trader Joes may sell it (this is an old post) but it looks like there are some steps to making your own (they are usually blanched first).
http://www.practicallyedible.com/edi.../groundalmonds
http://www.joyofbaking.com/almonds.html

The things y'learn!
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 8:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Just been to my local King's supermarket...loads of Walker's Mince Pies, Christmas Puddings and Shortbread. Also the real deal Cadbury's Christmas tins of choccie biscuits...those big round tins.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 8:23 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Just been to my local King's supermarket...loads of Walker's Mince Pies, Christmas Puddings and Shortbread. Also the real deal Cadbury's Christmas tins of choccie biscuits...those big round tins.
See, that's a BAD post!! HOW am I going to get through the day now???!!!

All I can think of is how nice a mince pie, some shortbread and some Cadbury's biccies would be right now!!!
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 8:25 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

The smilies, represent me rolling down the road after eating the above as I'm no longer able to walk!!
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 9:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
The smilies, represent me rolling down the road after eating the above as I'm no longer able to walk!!
That's the very reason I left the supermarket with only a container of lettuce, a bag of carrot sticks and half a dozen low fat yogurts.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 10:21 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

That's the very reason I left the supermarket with only a container of lettuce, a bag of carrot sticks and half a dozen low fat yogurts.
Jersey, your cupboard called while you were out. It wants you to look insiiiiiiide...... <Jerseeeeeeey>
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 11:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by meauxna
Jersey, your cupboard called while you were out. It wants you to look insiiiiiiide...... <Jerseeeeeeey>

I'm down to my last 5 pieces of Halloween candy. Hubby went to the dentist this afternoon. In the office were 8 huge totes piled high with candy. They'd offered to pay $1 for every pound of candy handed in. The money was being donated to our troops in the ME.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:01 am

I'm down to my last 5 pieces of Halloween candy. Hubby went to the dentist this afternoon. In the office were 8 huge totes piled high with candy. They'd offered to pay $1 for every pound of candy handed in. The money was being donated to our troops in the ME.
That's nice.

What about the candy? Did DH lift some?

You only have 5 pcs left?! I must've hoarded more.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

That's nice.

What about the candy? Did DH lift some?

You only have 5 pcs left?! I must've hoarded more.
I asked him if he'd brought me some back but....
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:13 am

I asked him if he'd brought me some back but....
Mine's off to the dentist now.. I'll have to give him the heads-up...
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

IrishRose is just really niceIrishRose is just really niceIrishRose is just really niceIrishRose is just really niceIrishRose is just really niceIrishRose is just really niceIrishRose is just really niceIrishRose is just really nice

Mine's off to the dentist now.. I'll have to give him the heads-up...
We have super Kroger stores near us and they sell a wide variety of British foods, along with Indian foods and Australian. I can get Aeros, malteesers, pickled onions, Irish and British cheeses, jaffa cakes, biscuits, Jacobs cream crackers and many more items. All at a good price!

I have just found this site, while searching for Cornish Pasties, and love it!
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 7:04 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by IrishRose
We have super Kroger stores near us and they sell a wide variety of British foods, along with Indian foods and Australian. I can get Aeros, malteesers, pickled onions, Irish and British cheeses, jaffa cakes, biscuits, Jacobs cream crackers and many more items. All at a good price!

I have just found this site, while searching for Cornish Pasties, and love it!
Oh my! I just checked too, and there is one just down the road from us - I must pop in and take a peek.

I have just had to buy two huge jars of mincemeat - it looks like the real stuff, too, so well happy. I usually make it myself, but until now I haven't found any suet locally. It's really annoying because before we moved here we came over to look around, and I know I saw some - so thought to myself that I'd be OK to do stuff for Christmas. Now I can't remember where it was I saw it...:curse: I have seen the vegetarian version on Amazon... so if push comes to shove I might have to go there.

Thanks for the link...
Old Nov 4th 2010, 4:54 am
Americano

nejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nice

Thank God for World Market! And as expensive as it is, Santa Monica is really near where I live, so I can get over to the Tudor House and Ye Old King's Head for dire cravings. Anyone in LA who's not checked these out (though I'm sure you have), do so! Sad to say it's a bit expensive though. $1.99 for a Vimto? Tragic.

And then there's always my lovely housemate/best friend sending me care packages! She's got a few American favourites I ship to her, and she sends me some stuff in return.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nejicano
Thank God for World Market! And as expensive as it is, Santa Monica is really near where I live, so I can get over to the Tudor House and Ye Old King's Head for dire cravings. Anyone in LA who's not checked these out (though I'm sure you have), do so! Sad to say it's a bit expensive though. $1.99 for a Vimto? Tragic.

And then there's always my lovely housemate/best friend sending me care packages! She's got a few American favourites I ship to her, and she sends me some stuff in return.
Have you tried this place? I stumbled across it when I stayed in Santa Monica in February. Loads of good stuff there, prices weren't too bad, and they stock frozen sausages, bacon, sausage rolls and Naan breads. The proprietors are really nice (if a little disorganised). I was running around the aisles like a madwoman trying to decide what I could carry back to AZ with me.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 11:10 pm
Americano

nejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nice

Originally Posted by geeandtee
Have you tried this place? I stumbled across it when I stayed in Santa Monica in February. Loads of good stuff there, prices weren't too bad, and they stock frozen sausages, bacon, sausage rolls and Naan breads. The proprietors are really nice (if a little disorganised). I was running around the aisles like a madwoman trying to decide what I could carry back to AZ with me.
I think you just made my day, geeandtee! Thank you so much for the information! I'd not heard of it, no, but it looks pretty easy to get to. I'm going to drag one of my new American friends along with me to experience the joys of British shopping.

One question though, how are the prices?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.