Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Old Oct 28th 2010, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Its does WOO HOO you mean the little store with the union jack on the roof or window its next to a Raleys right!!
Yep thats the one, Sausages, Pork Pies, Bacon, Vimto and choccie and yummy stuff, all at a price a HUGE price, but Sheena who runs it is lovely (I would be when half a bag of stuff comes to $100 too though!)
Old Oct 28th 2010, 3:19 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
Yep thats the one, Sausages, Pork Pies, Bacon, Vimto and choccie and yummy stuff, all at a price a HUGE price, but Sheena who runs it is lovely (I would be when half a bag of stuff comes to $100 too though!)
Cheers been looking for a while I could buy online but the BF wants to try it so don't want to buy a case until he trys it!
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:41 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of a random one but if you're in Houston, the chef at Feast will make black pudding for you to buy if you give him 3 days notice. It's quite a spicy one, a kind of a mix between black pudding and haggis. He said it was $30 for a whole one which is about a loaf size tin full, if not a bit bigger.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 5:26 pm
IRJ
Forum Regular

IRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really nice

I just noticed that one of my local supermarkets "Stop & Shop" has a small area of English foods/candies etc.
In Madison NJ it's on Aisle 7 under exotics/asian foods!

A good range of cadbury's products, Bird's Custard, Jams, Galaxy, Mars bars etc. etc.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 10:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IRJ
I just noticed that one of my local supermarkets "Stop & Shop" has a small area of English foods/candies etc.
In Madison NJ it's on Aisle 7 under exotics/asian foods!

A good range of cadbury's products, Bird's Custard, Jams, Galaxy, Mars bars etc. etc.
Welcome to the site.

It used to be under Irish Foods until a few years ago then they decided to move it. Try Gary's Winestore...it's just by S&S...he sells loads of British goodies. His store in Bernardsville sells even more.

Kings used to be owned my Marks and Spencer but now just about all the British goods they sell are Heinz Baked Beans, PG Tips and Cadbury's chocolate bars (made under licence by Hershey).

If you fancy a trip out....Sally Lunns in Chester sells British goodies. Chester is quite a nice quaint little town...nice to wander around on a nice afternoon.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 30th 2010 at 10:07 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 10:08 pm
IRJ
Forum Regular

IRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to the site.

It used to be under Irish Foods until a few years ago then they decided to move it. Try Gary's Winestore...it's just by S&S...he sells loads of British goodies. His store in Bernardsville sells even more.
Yeah but Gary overcharges for those products, even the wine, so I shop at the wine library in Milburn for better wine prices
Old Oct 30th 2010, 10:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IRJ
Yeah but Gary overcharges for those products, even the wine, so I shop at the wine library in Milburn for better wine prices
I don't look at the prices...only at the wrappers...Double Deckers, Twiglets, Walkers Cheese and Onion Crisps. I don't normally drink wine. My drink of choice is Grand Marnier and a 750 bottle is only just over $30.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 10:13 pm
IRJ
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to the site.

Kings used to be owned my Marks and Spencer but now just about all the British goods they sell are Heinz Baked Beans, PG Tips and Cadbury's chocolate bars (made under licence by Hershey).

If you fancy a trip out....Sally Lunns in Chester sells British goodies. Chester is quite a nice quaint little town...nice to wander around on a nice afternoon.
Sally L just opened a few months ago in Chatham, so I am not sure if they are still in Chester anymore. As you drive thru Chatham Main Street, towards Route 24, go beyond the Taste of Asia (RHS) and it's just after the Dunkin Donuts on the LHS about 20 yards OFF Main Street.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 10:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by IRJ
Sally L just opened a few months ago in Chatham, so I am not sure if they are still in Chester anymore. As you drive thru Chatham Main Street, towards Route 24, go beyond the Taste of Asia (RHS) and it's just after the Dunkin Donuts on the LHS about 20 yards OFF Main Street.
I know where you mean thank you.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

amadge is an unknown quantity at this point

Best day of my life (not really, but it was good): walked into the local supermarket (Meijer), looked in the British freezer section and Soreen malt loaf was on sale for $0.17/loaf. I must have bought 30 of them! My wife was not impressed when she looked in the freezer; at least, not until she tried one!

I always find that the British chocolate and biscuits at the US supermarkets are really old and beginning to turn white. I don't waste money on them anymore, just encourage visitors to bring a lot with them.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Rose of the Shires will become famous soon enough

Top Jaffa Cake Info

For anyone who can't go another day without a Jaffa cake...there is a brand called LU (looks like they are Belgian, but we have them on the regular biscuit shelves here in NY). They make a biscuit/cookie/cake which is JUST like a Jaffa Cake. Darkish chocolate and fantastic. I'm eating one now as a gesture of public spiritedness

They also do a version with raspberry filling which sounded gorgeous, but I thought they were meh.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Dodgykeeps will become famous soon enoughDodgykeeps will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by amadge
Best day of my life (not really, but it was good): walked into the local supermarket (Meijer), looked in the British freezer section and Soreen malt loaf was on sale for $0.17/loaf. I must have bought 30 of them! My wife was not impressed when she looked in the freezer; at least, not until she tried one!
OMG - can you ship some to Dayton? I loved Malt Loaf when I was back in the UK - my MIL bought a couple for me when I visited last time!
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 12:39 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

Luckily I am blessed to be surrounded by shops which sell British goodies (at a price, no less) for example, clotted cream - I rarely saw that even in the UK! We have Wegmans which has a wonderful international section, and another market-type shop which fills in a few of the gaps. There is marmite, marmalade, brown sauce, custard powder, aero bars, English mustard, French mustard, tetley's tea (not the horrible import stuff) fresh naan breads, malt vinegar, etc etc

However, I am slightly stuck on one thing - ground almonds. For a country with a huge almond producing area (California) why can I only get sliced or whole almonds? I have seen 'almond flour' for sale in pharmacies/health food shops for an alarming amount of money. I used to use a lot of ground almonds but it is very difficult to grind your own from the whole nut. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I can get the stuff?
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 12:44 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by White-ishRose
Luckily I am blessed to be surrounded by shops which sell British goodies (at a price, no less) for example, clotted cream - I rarely saw that even in the UK! We have Wegmans which has a wonderful international section, and another market-type shop which fills in a few of the gaps. There is marmite, marmalade, brown sauce, custard powder, aero bars, English mustard, French mustard, tetley's tea (not the horrible import stuff) fresh naan breads, malt vinegar, etc etc

However, I am slightly stuck on one thing - ground almonds. For a country with a huge almond producing area (California) why can I only get sliced or whole almonds? I have seen 'almond flour' for sale in pharmacies/health food shops for an alarming amount of money. I used to use a lot of ground almonds but it is very difficult to grind your own from the whole nut. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I can get the stuff?
Try Oh Nuts

http://www.ohnuts.com/buy.cfm/bulk-n...round-almond-2
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

sadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nicesadphish is just really nice

Originally Posted by White-ishRose

This place has them at a high price: http://www.buybritish.net/store/cust...cat=274&page=4

However! You should be able to make them yourself if you have a decent blender, used to do it at work all the time(obviously with catering-standard equipment it's easy, but should be possible at home too). Chuck them in and blitz them in short bursts. If your blender's a bit crap, try crushing them up a bit first(plastic bag&a rolling pin).

Looks like I'm dragging the bf to Kirkwood Plaza this weekend. Luckily, he was seduced by the pictures of chunky kit kats, so no persuasion was needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.