Reload this Page >

Speak f**kin English !

Speak f**kin English !

Old May 1st 2006, 5:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Speak f**kin English !

Originally Posted by agostinism
The same can be said about Vasque Country and Spain, And the connection of Afrikaan with English lies in the fact that both are recognised official languages of South Africa. My point is that just because a language has origins in any particular country it does not imply by default absolute rights to it. On the contrary, the dynamics of a place or region tend to affect and transform the language adapting it to its need and making it its own. To the Americans, English its their language in the form they have adapted to their culture, their way of life. And since this US society does not have any other language or dialect to rely on, any other form of the Language might seem "foreign". The same paradigm occurs with Latin America and Spain and Portugal, Brazil and Lusitan Africa but differs in comparison with France, Quebec and Francophone Africa (where the case is reverted, being the dialects originated from Quebec and Francophone Africa instead of France).

In any case, many English are adopting american ways and slang in their day to day talk, be it as it may from the influence of Rap in Music and the penetration of the "American Way of Life" in the day to day activities of not only Brits but Europeans in general.

So do not be surprised if one day you wake up and hear your wife and kids speaking English like Americans and Ain't gonna be notin' y'all can do 'bout.

BTW this are a couple of things I heard the other day that really cracked me up:

"Byatch" (????)
"'sup y'all bro mofo" (it is supposed to be a greeting of some sort)
"Wassup or 'sup"
"How you doin'" (with a laid back and suspicious tone of voice)

He dicho!
Basque? Have they ceceded?, I thought they had called a halt.

Many countries have more than one official language, England is not one of them, nor the US. Not sure what S Africa has to do with this.

Wife, Children, even Grand Children, all speak English like Americans. I try my best to correct their more blatant errors, although it is not usually appreciated.

Wife left her Rucksack at the gym, rang up to check it was there and was told I should ask for a Back Pack, I thought they were interchangeable.
Old May 1st 2006, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

I remember going into a Subway's in downtown denver some years ago and requesting at some point, in my british accent, "TomaRtoes". The guy started smirking and had a little laugh to himself. All i thought at the time was "how immature can you get", didn't say a word but gave a good stare, making sure he felt mighty uncomfortable by the time i left. He was a good 5-10 years OLDER than me too!!

I found people in the US also seemed to listen to HOW i say something, rather than what i actually said. As i got to know people better, they finally ignored my 'accent' and actually responded sensibly.

Up here in Canada it's a whole different game, one of the things that i think distinguishes the two - here people might mention it once, but only to say 'so what part of the UK are you from... ', and certainly not at the beginning of a conversation. I think the cultural ties here are stronger and there are a lot more UK ex-pats up here so it's not such a novelty for them. Plus they don't ask questions like 'What's it like being ruled by a Royal Family???' Duh!!!
Old May 1st 2006, 5:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by neill
Plus they don't ask questions like 'What's it like being ruled by a Royal Family???' Duh!!!
Sounds more like a question you would ask an American.

Droit de Bush.
Old May 1st 2006, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

No that would be "What's it like being ruled by a Royal pain in the ....."

Originally Posted by Boiler

Droit de Bush.
Old May 1st 2006, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Boulder, huh? Heard they tore down crossroads mall and replaced it with a bunch of anchor stores... Pearl street still nice?

Droit de Bush.
Old May 1st 2006, 6:04 am
Account Closed

Boulder, huh? Heard they tore down crossroads mall and replaced it with a bunch of anchor stores... Pearl street still nice?
Not quite, basically the old mall was gazzumped by Flatirons so apart from Foleys it all got knocked down.

There is a Home Depot, will be a big Wild Oats including their HQ, I believe the new mall will mainly be fashion stuff etc and therefore no interest to me.

Big boxes still basically banned. Pearl Street still busy.
Old May 1st 2006, 6:12 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Plus they don't ask questions like 'What's it like being ruled by a Royal Family???' Duh!!!
Isn't HM Queenie still H. of State up there?
Old May 1st 2006, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Oui, she's still on our $20 bills and coins. bless

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Isn't HM Queenie still H. of State up there?
Old May 1st 2006, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Basque? Have they ceceded?, I thought they had called a halt.

Many countries have more than one official language, England is not one of them, nor the US. Not sure what S Africa has to do with this.

Wife, Children, even Grand Children, all speak English like Americans. I try my best to correct their more blatant errors, although it is not usually appreciated.

Wife left her Rucksack at the gym, rang up to check it was there and was told I should ask for a Back Pack, I thought they were interchangeable.
Are American "official languages" set on a state by state basis?

I've heard that Lousiana's (sp?) second official language is French. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lousiana#Languages
Old May 1st 2006, 6:23 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey

I've heard that Lousiana's (sp?) second official language is French. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lousiana#Languages
Most state legislatures have been loathe to open the "official language" can of worms, even Louisiana:

"Among the states, Louisiana has a unique culture, owing to its French colonial heritage. While the state has no declared "official language," its law recognizes both English and French." (from your Wiki)
Old May 1st 2006, 6:23 am
Account Closed

I do not think the US has an official language, English is by usage, Home Depot etc excepted.
Old May 1st 2006, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Yeah, didn't Illinois want to declare that "American" and not "English" was their official language a few years back?

Old May 1st 2006, 6:26 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I do not think the US has an official language, English is by usage, Home Depot etc excepted.
No, though there's a rather nasty xenophobic movement that would have it so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English-only_movement
Old May 1st 2006, 6:29 am
Lapine Member

Hmmmmm now here's a list of topics to ensure you'll be a big hit at the next Yank dinner party you attend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...e_Culture_Wars
Old May 1st 2006, 6:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by snowbunny
No, though there's a rather nasty xenophobic movement that would have it so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English-only_movement
Why is it xenophobic when its English but not when any other language/country is concerned?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.