Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Speak f**kin English !

Speak f**kin English !

Old Apr 30th 2006, 4:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Speak f**kin English !

Sounds like we are getting back to Ricky Jervais put down on Comedy Central.

- sorry, I was speaking English.

Also repeating slowly and loudly usually works.

As far as the accent goes I sometimes comment that I do not actually have an accent, and then I may bore them with a diatribe on Received English.

Slightly concerned that the inate sense of Englishman abroad superiority seems to be missing in this thread. I blame it on the schools.
Old Apr 30th 2006, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
How many times have you heard that ?
I have heard it countless times since being here and I usually give some remark like 'I am f**kin English, it's you who can't speak it'
One afternoon last week as I was driving out of a company in Glens Falls NY I saw a truck slowly pulling in and the driver was so confused, I saw him grabbing his CB mike to talk to me ... "Hey driver is this Pactive corporation ?"
I answered "Yes driver, just pull straight ahead into the trailer parking area and dispatch is on the left"
"Where's dispatch ?"
"On your left when you enter the trailer parking area"
"Where ?"
"On your left"
"Speak f**king English"
"How about I come back there and punch you on your nose you cheeky bastard ? ..... I am English"
"F**kin imigrants" He said.
"Find it yourself asshole"
As I left I heard the yard guy telling him he was lucky not to have a black eye and that to say that to me was a real insult

How often do you get reactions like that ?
I have lived in the US since 1992. It doesn't happen so much anymore, but when I first got here a lot of the locals couldn't understand me. I put it down to people being provinicial and not well traveled. I mean, I am speaking the same language and all you have to do is LISTEN to the context of what I am saying and WORK OUT IN YOUR HEAD the meaning of all the words! Like I said, it doesn't happen too much anymore, I think I am sounding more American, but I remember being very frustrated. Now, when I go back to the UK people think I am American!!! UUGGHH!! I remember watching a TV show on BBC America a while back where a couple of the characters were speaking Liverpudlian (?) and I couldn't understand a word and I was born in Liverpool!
Old Apr 30th 2006, 11:01 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
"Which part of England are you from?"
Several times I've been asked which part of Ireland I'm from (I'm from North Yorks)

But even stranger is when I tell them where I'm from, I often get "North Yorkshire, eh? I've got an uncle that runs a pub in Liverpool".
Old Apr 30th 2006, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

yorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to behold

I haven't had any bad experiences like that so far, but my daughter does get irritated at school sometimes the kids will ask her if she can speak 'normally'. They aren't saying it to be mean, they really just want to know if she is able to speak without an English accent. Of course they all think they have no accent and maybe they think she can just switch hers off....

She has found that she is much more popular over here than she was in her UK school, she likes being different and the other kids love some of the words she uses. They particulaly like to quiz her on what derrogatory names British kids throw at each other and their fave so far is 'Minger'!! they also like 'numpty'.

At work my boss likes some of the words I come out with, some of her faves are 'grubby', half past 5 (instead of 5.30) and fortnight, she doesn't like it when i say 'a week on monday' meaning not next monday but the one after. Too confusing! What I find irritating at work is having to write the date with mm/dd/yyyy, I have to fill in the dd first then go back to mm.

What some Americans don't seem to realise is that immitating a British accent in a sterotypical way is just as insulting as when people immitate, for instance, a Chinese accent and say something like "Flied Lice!"
Old May 1st 2006, 2:56 am

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

I've never had this problem. People have only ever been nice and complimentary about my accent. They must just know what a dick you are patrick!

Why do so many of you get upset when people impersonate you???? I just smile politely and say "that's cute" or something along those lines. Yes, it gets old, but I don't know why so many of you find it offensive.
Old May 1st 2006, 3:07 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard it countless times since being here and I usually give some remark like 'I am f**kin English, it's you who can't speak it'
One afternoon last week as I was driving out of a company in Glens Falls NY I saw a truck slowly pulling in and the driver was so confused, I saw him grabbing his CB mike to talk to me ... "Hey driver is this Pactive corporation ?"
I answered "Yes driver, just pull straight ahead into the trailer parking area and dispatch is on the left"
"Where's dispatch ?"
"Where ?"
"On your left"
"Speak f**king English"
"How about I come back there and punch you on your nose you cheeky bastard ? ..... I am English"
As I left I heard the yard guy telling him he was lucky not to have a black eye and that to say that to me was a real insult

Don't worry- it's not just Americans who do that. This weekend while shopping in a Farmer's Market in Atlanta a Hispanic worker overheard my (very light skinned non-stereotypical) Spanish wife and I talking (in Spanish) and commented to my wife how well she spoke the language. When Cathy replied that she is indeed from Spain, the poor little Mexican girl asked if they speak 'some type of Spanish there too"?
Cathy was quite restrained and didn't even scream as she told the girl that just maybe Español comes from España... and that maybe HER country speaks "some type" of Spanish.
Old May 1st 2006, 3:13 am
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pigtails
Yes, it gets old, but I don't know why so many of you find it offensive.
Well said! The 'you're accent is cute, what part of London are you from' thing does wear thin but at lease people take an interest. Mildly irritating yes, offensive, no.
Old May 1st 2006, 3:34 am
Just Joined

agostinism is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ironporer
Don't worry- it's not just Americans who do that. This weekend while shopping in a Farmer's Market in Atlanta a Hispanic worker overheard my (very light skinned non-stereotypical) Spanish wife and I talking (in Spanish) and commented to my wife how well she spoke the language. When Cathy replied that she is indeed from Spain, the poor little Mexican girl asked if they speak 'some type of Spanish there too"?
Cathy was quite restrained and didn't even scream as she told the girl that just maybe Español comes from España... and that maybe HER country speaks "some type" of Spanish.
Think about it of a moment, in Spain they Speak different dialects of Spanish so the poor little ignorant Mexican girl got it right to be surprised to hear a Spanish speak spanish. As far as I know the Spanish speak Gallego, Catalan, Castellano y Andaluz depending on the region they come from all of these languages with heavy influence from the Spanish language or Castellano(except catalan) are not Spanish. In Mexico they speak Spanish (very few speak indigenous languages which is completely different from spanish), so your wife, and i am sorry to disappoint you, was wrong it is in Spain where they speak something different than "Spanish" (You and her should know better).

If you hear Gaelic or Welsh would you say it is English? Is Afrikaners English? then I think the Americans do have a point here.
Old May 1st 2006, 3:36 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agostinism
Think about it of a moment, in Spain they Speak different dialects of Spanish so the poor little ignorant Mexican girl got it right to be surprised to hear a Spanish speak spanish. As far as I know the Spanish speak Gallego, Catalan, Castellano y Andaluz depending on the region they come from all of these languages with heavy influence from the Spanish language or Castellano(except catalan) are not Spanish. In Mexico they speak Spanish (very few speak indigenous languages which is completely different from spanish), so your wife, and i am sorry to disappoint you, was wrong it is in Spain where they speak something different than "Spanish" (You and her should know better).

If you hear Gaelic or Welsh would you say it is English? Is Afrikaners English? then I think the Americans do have a point here.
Winners don't do drugs
Old May 1st 2006, 3:38 am
2007 pred.league robbery

lee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
But even stranger is when I tell them where I'm from, I often get "North Yorkshire, eh? I've got an uncle that runs a pub in Liverpool".
For the sake of every scouser. Please slap the next person who says that.
Old May 1st 2006, 3:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by agostinism

England and Wales are seperate countries, Spain has many regions. The only Gaelic connection I can think of with England is Cornish but that is essentially a dead language, maybe a few hundred speakers and I would not expect anyone outside the UK to know that.

Afrikaan is based on Dutch, Lower German? and I believe has little connection with any form of English.
Old May 1st 2006, 4:59 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

"Where's dispatch ?"
"Where ?"
"On your left"
"Speak f**king English"

I only get wonderful compliments about my accent
Old May 1st 2006, 5:04 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
I only get wonderful compliments about my accent

So you're posh too then? Maybe we should start a club!
Old May 1st 2006, 5:15 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
So you're posh too then? Maybe we should start a club!
She's welsh ffs.
Obviously a wind up.
Old May 1st 2006, 5:17 am
Just Joined

agostinism is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
England and Wales are seperate countries, Spain has many regions. The only Gaelic connection I can think of with England is Cornish but that is essentially a dead language, maybe a few hundred speakers and I would not expect anyone outside the UK to know that.

Afrikaan is based on Dutch, Lower German? and I believe has little connection with any form of English.
The same can be said about Vasque Country and Spain, And the connection of Afrikaan with English lies in the fact that both are recognised official languages of South Africa. My point is that just because a language has origins in any particular country it does not imply by default absolute rights to it. On the contrary, the dynamics of a place or region tend to affect and transform the language adapting it to its need and making it its own. To the Americans, English its their language in the form they have adapted to their culture, their way of life. And since this US society does not have any other language or dialect to rely on, any other form of the Language might seem "foreign". The same paradigm occurs with Latin America and Spain and Portugal, Brazil and Lusitan Africa but differs in comparison with France, Quebec and Francophone Africa (where the case is reverted, being the dialects originated from Quebec and Francophone Africa instead of France).

In any case, many English are adopting american ways and slang in their day to day talk, be it as it may from the influence of Rap in Music and the penetration of the "American Way of Life" in the day to day activities of not only Brits but Europeans in general.

So do not be surprised if one day you wake up and hear your wife and kids speaking English like Americans and Ain't gonna be notin' y'all can do 'bout.

BTW this are a couple of things I heard the other day that really cracked me up:

"Byatch" (????)
"'sup y'all bro mofo" (it is supposed to be a greeting of some sort)
"Wassup or 'sup"
"How you doin'" (with a laid back and suspicious tone of voice)

He dicho!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.