Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sicko - so who has now seen the film?

Sicko - so who has now seen the film?

Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:11 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sicko - so who has now seen the film?

[QUOTE=ukelaine;5842659]
Originally Posted by valspal
But Europe is made up of different Countries, I thought the USA was one Country ?
Different towns in England may have different laws for some things, but, most major laws cover the whole of England. Here in USA who have different rules from one town to the next, like they want to confuse everyone
But, then, how does the medical work in the USA, does that vary from Town to Town and State to State ?
If you are with say, Blue X are you charged a different amount for the same care depending on what State you are in ?
DO you pay a different co-pay, different prescription costs even if you are with the Same Insurance Company, just because of where you live ?
Elaine
From what I've seen so far, California is the best state to be in for health insurance. Employees are a bit more educated, fussy and I understand that companies are paying 100% of the premiums in some instances.

Originally Posted by dunroving
Michael Moore posed the following question (Paraphrased)::
If we can have free education, why can't we have free healthcare?
You see, that's the kind of simple analogy I like. I'm sure there are many complicated reasons why not, but the preceding comments about states being different, etc., doesn't stop children's education being provided from taxes, so why should medical care be any different?
It became clear some time ago that the only reason K thru 12 is paid for by local taxes is that the insurance companies have not yet figured out how to make money out of your education.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:20 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Michael Moore posed the following question (Paraphrased)::

If we can have free education, why can't we have free healthcare?

You see, that's the kind of simple analogy I like. I'm sure there are many complicated reasons why not, but the preceding comments about states being different, etc., doesn't stop children's education being provided from taxes, so why should medical care be any different?
many of the anti-universal healthcare zealots believe we shouldn't have free education either.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 2:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
many of the anti-universal healthcare zealots believe we shouldn't have free education either.
Education is free?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Education is free?
It's free if you don't live in this Country and go to school here

We say Free only because we are not literally putting our hand in our pocket and taking money out. We do pay for schools and Brits pay for healthcare, but, it's from the money we don't see and don't have in our hands.

Sort of "What you don't see, you don't miss" lame why of looking at it now, but, that's the gist of it.

It's like that advert : Look on face knowning NO medical Bills are coming - PRICELESS !!

I could bet money that after the kinks and bumps were eventually smoothed out for a NHS system in USA the STRESS factor for Americans would LOWER and throw in a couple of paid weeks vacation and health care for heart attacks in the USA would go down by nearly 50 %

Elaine
Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I said to my hubby after we watched Sicko... 'why have I never heard of HR 676 until now'? If you ask me this needs to have a whole lot more publicity so people know what and who to support!
Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukelaine
It's free if you don't live in this Country and go to school here

We say Free only because we are not literally putting our hand in our pocket and taking money out. We do pay for schools and Brits pay for healthcare, but, it's from the money we don't see and don't have in our hands.

Sort of "What you don't see, you don't miss" lame why of looking at it now, but, that's the gist of it.

It's like that advert : Look on face knowning NO medical Bills are coming - PRICELESS !!

I could bet money that after the kinks and bumps were eventually smoothed out for a NHS system in USA the STRESS factor for Americans would LOWER and throw in a couple of paid weeks vacation and health care for heart attacks in the USA would go down by nearly 50 %

Elaine
Perhaps....

But, when I pay my property taxes and then get hit up at the beginning of the school year for every possible piece of school supply a child could need or want (and supply snacks when asked) and then throughout the year pay off the fund raising campaigns.....
Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:34 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps....
the concept is called "free at the point of delivery".
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:34 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps....

But, when I pay my property taxes and then get hit up at the beginning of the school year for every possible piece of school supply a child could need or want (and supply snacks when asked) and then throughout the year pay off the fund raising campaigns.....
We don't feel obligated to support every fundraiser that comes home in the backpacks. As for the supply list - half of it is ridiculous. Only one year did we buy everything. Some of that stuff is still sitting in a drawer waiting to be used.
Wastefull.

I often wonder if Americans in general have any idea just how stressed their existances are as a result of the way of life here?
Seriously, its very difficult to have a plain and simple lifestyle because you have to constantly be something of a tax expert/health expert/business savvy just to avoid getting fleeced.

Yes, I know its steadily getting worse in the UK, but we always seem to have been a leap ahead here.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:20 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

Canada has an open Health Care System, great Public Schools, affordable University, lower Property Taxes than most U.S States, BUT, we cannot deduct Mortgage Interest, we pay about 13% Sales Tax, liquor and tobacco are probably 30 to 40% higher, our personal tax rates are much higher.

My Mother maintained the difference was in the U.S you kept your money, you made your buying decisions, here, the money was taxed away and those decisions were made for you.

Really great video, you can google to it, credit max, kinda scary, sicko but about the sub prime situation, which is going to get much more worse.

R.E in the U.S still has room to fall, at some point the Fed must start raising rates and flush the system out.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard1944
Canada has an open Health Care System, great Public Schools, affordable University, lower Property Taxes than most U.S States, BUT, we cannot deduct Mortgage Interest, we pay about 13% Sales Tax, liquor and tobacco are probably 30 to 40% higher, our personal tax rates are much higher.

My Mother maintained the difference was in the U.S you kept your money, you made your buying decisions, here, the money was taxed away and those decisions were made for you.

Really great video, you can google to it, credit max, kinda scary, sicko but about the sub prime situation, which is going to get much more worse.

R.E in the U.S still has room to fall, at some point the Fed must start raising rates and flush the system out.
In principle supposedly yes, but that's bullshit in reality.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Sandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really nice

[QUOTE=ukelaine;5842659]
Originally Posted by valspal
But Europe is made up of different Countries, I thought the USA was one Country ?

Different towns in England may have different laws for some things, but, most major laws cover the whole of England. Here in USA who have different rules from one town to the next, like they want to confuse everyone

But, then, how does the medical work in the USA, does that vary from Town to Town and State to State ?

If you are with say, Blue X are you charged a different amount for the same care depending on what State you are in ?

DO you pay a different co-pay, different prescription costs even if you are with the Same Insurance Company, just because of where you live ?

Elaine
Same insurance, same copay but, different hospital different billing costs. Here hospitals are run like a business.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:25 am
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: Sicko - so who has now seen the film?

http://www.michaelmoore.com/

Sicko has been nominated for the Oscar for best Documentary movie of 2007. Lets hope it wins!!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Xebedee
We don't feel obligated to support every fundraiser that comes home in the backpacks. As for the supply list - half of it is ridiculous. Only one year did we buy everything. Some of that stuff is still sitting in a drawer waiting to be used.
Wastefull.

I often wonder if Americans in general have any idea just how stressed their existances are as a result of the way of life here?
Seriously, its very difficult to have a plain and simple lifestyle because you have to constantly be something of a tax expert/health expert/business savvy just to avoid getting fleeced.

Yes, I know its steadily getting worse in the UK, but we always seem to have been a leap ahead here.
School supplies for Elementary are not required, but, once you hit Middle School they bring home a long list.

I had to run all over town trying to find a one theme notebook that was JUST the right size, it HAD to be the EXACT measurements, couldn't be off by 1/2 an inch ! It's a Bloody notebook for God Sakes ! LOL

Fundraisers to help pay for kids to go on trips for those who's parents can't afford it I never had a problem with until I found out there is no criteria for who falls under that category, basically anyone could say they couldn't afford it. I discovered people who were saying they could not afford it, who, had their own business and lived in brand new houses and then also people who's kids and parents lived in Mexico and the family ran several businesses.
So, unfortunately there I draw the line.

Most of the school trips you have to contribute (donation they call it) for the bus that takes them, I have no problem with that.

Elaine
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Sandra23;5849042]
Originally Posted by ukelaine
Same insurance, same copay but, different hospital different billing costs. Here hospitals are run like a business.
Then I suppose that would be the biggest hurdle for America. Having the Hospitals and Doctors ALL charge the same fee, which is how I assume it works in UK ?

Or the same fees for all hospitals and doc's within each state, as the taxes brought in from each state would reflect the economics of that state ?

Heck ! If the USA wants it to work it can, I'm not figuring out for them !! LOL

Elaine
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:39 am
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

Fees vary from Hospital to Hospital, from doctor to doctor, and when the bill gets passed on th HMO they may refuse to pay what the bill asked for.

Threats of Law Suits have tied the U.S Health Care system in knots, much paper work is required, just in case there is a law suit.

In Canada you may have to put up with some pain, you could have to wait for surgery, you won't die but you may be in some discomfort, in the U.S the problem is fixed immediately.

Canadian Hospitals support each other, U.S Hospitals compete with each other for the business.

In the U.S you could find yourself bankrupt if you run over the amount of Insurance you purchased, in Canada that will never happen, as long as you are breathing, they will try to keep you breathing , 90 year olds get Hip Replacements.

U.S System is best if you have good coverage , stay employed, and are healthy, lose your job and coverage, it is scary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.