Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sicko - so who has now seen the film?

Sicko - so who has now seen the film?

Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:53 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sicko - so who has now seen the film?

Originally Posted by nethead

People always complain about having these types of houses next door to them, don't they?
Well I do see her point.......but they are human beings. Would we build a neighbourhood outside of town, and have a community of handicapped people? It's a difficult question. I don't know the answer.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mallory
Where would you suggest these people live?
Obvious answer - Not next door to ME and NOT twice in a row !!

If you ever get one next door to you, maybe you can tell me what you think of where they should live ?

The Landlord didn't give a Shite, the Police, Fire Truck, Ambulance people are fed up with these set-ups.

I have two young kids who couldn't go out and play in front of their house, I had to go out the back yard with them in case one of the people next door hung over the fence to talk to them, which they did.

We literally live down the street from an Elementary School and some kids walked to and from school on their own, parents totally unaware that this place was there and unsupervised people lived there with mental problems. Not that I ever liked seeing these kids walking alone, but, I always kept my eye out for them, just in case.

I'm not a bad person for wishing they were not next door to me, obviously the families of these people didn't want to deal with them and that was only one of them, instead of Six.

Having six or under is the KEY here. If you have more than six there a mass of rules and regulations and permits etc that have to be followed, the loop hole in the laws is the number of people, which these landlords have found out about and how they are able to set up these places.

Elaine
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nethead
People always complain about having these types of houses next door to them, don't they? It was just the same back in the UK.

I think though to be fair to Elaine she was complaining more about the system of unscrupulous landlords fleecing the government/state and then dumping people who need some type of care, unsupervised together in a suburban area. Phew sorry that was a bit of a long sentence
The landlords are not really fleecing the Government, the Government didn't think about these people when some of the Disability Act Laws were created.

All the laws created (from what I was told) was to protect elderly people who had to live in a shared home setting, they forgot that this would also cover 1/2 way homes, independent and assisted living care homes for people with mental problems.

The place next to me had a wide range of ages, it was not just elderly people.

I'm now holding my breath to see who the new lot of people who will now be moving in next door

Hopefully none of them will end up like the one lady who was there. She was discovered NAKED from the waist down !! asleep under a person's RV a few houses down, just when the school kids were walking to school !

THANK GOD I drive my kids, I can't imagine the Therapy the kids might need after seeing that sight 1st thing in the morning.

Elaine
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mallory
Well I do see her point.......but they are human beings. Would we build a neighbourhood outside of town, and have a community of handicapped people? It's a difficult question. I don't know the answer.
They do have places here, but, as there are so many of these people who'd families won't or can't deal with them, that places can't be built quick enough, or, there is no money to build them in the first place.

Another event that happened on the next street was Very sad. A mother who DID want to do the right thing and care for her son who had mental problems. Over time the son had been and out of places (not houses) when he came out she took him back in her home.

About a year ago, we saw him at the end of the street, shirtless in cold weather, just staring at the oncoming cars, scary. Two days later, cops were everywhere. He stabbed her to death and they were looking for him.

Apparently he'd stabbed her before and she still took him back into her home as, i assume she felt that was the right thing to do. She was an assistant Principal at a local high school. NOW, if she had decided not to take him back, he could quite easily have been next door to me

Unless, someone stands over many of these people they won't take the medicine that can help them with these feelings of violence and anger or other mental problems.

After that event my children were scared to death of the people next door and there wasn't a darn thing I could do about it

Elaine
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

valspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE There is a deep fear that a universal healthcare system will be subject to abuse. Imagine trying to impose one uniform healthcare system across all the EU and you are close to approximating what it would be like across the states by many.[/QUOTE

Each state handling its own start of with California say and other states can model.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:43 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valspal
Each state handling its own start of with California say and other states can model.
And therein lies the problem. The states vary wildly in what they can spend on health care. Can you imagine Mississippi health care?

Universal, national, single payer. Only way it will work. Oh and in the meantime, consider my tax proposal a few pages back.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snowbunny
And therein lies the problem. The states vary wildly in what they can spend on health care. Can you imagine Mississippi health care?

Universal, national, single payer. Only way it will work. Oh and in the meantime, consider my tax proposal a few pages back.
Ditto on that

It would have to be the same all over USA, otherwise it will be a total mess, one state doing this and another state doing that.

And not one state trying it, have everyone do it together and then sorting out any bumps TOGETHER.

The main scare will be from the Insurance Companies all over the USA and where they are now going to work

Most of the major companies should be able to adapt, as most have stores or factories in other parts of the world where a form of NHS already exists, as shown by SICKO in France.

Elaine
Old Jan 25th 2008, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

valspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ukelaine;5840926]Ditto on that

It would have to be the same all over USA, otherwise it will be a total mess, one state doing this and another state doing that.

And not one state trying it, have everyone do it together and then sorting out any bumps together.

Can't imagine the whole of Europe trying to start all on the same day.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

lofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by snowbunny

Or maybe have it funded from central (Federal) government but administered on a state level, thus ensuring fair funding for all whilst allowing each state to direct funds at specific areas of need.

This is how it works in the UK - NHS Scotland is a different entity to NHS England and Wales. They are both funded by Westminster, however they operate separately, allowing each country (state) to decide how best to spend it's funding. For example, prescriptions are free for all in Scotland but not England and Wales (if not now then they will be very shortly), as are eye examinations. That's how they prioritised their spending.

Maybe a similar system could work in the US, ensuring fair funding for all states, while not being seen to diminish a state’s authority.

Just an idea.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 11:07 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=valspal;5841152]
Originally Posted by ukelaine
Ditto on that

And not one state trying it, have everyone do it together and then sorting out any bumps together.

Ah but, yeah but, ah but.

Comparing the EU to the US isn't good. The EU has huge cultural differences and the language barriers. That and the French.

The US is one country and there is already a strong centralised Govt. from which to administer such a system. But I do think each state should do the leg work and answer to a set of federal guideleines. Thats more in line with the Founding Fathers' principles.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 12:29 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lofty79
Or maybe have it funded from central (Federal) government but administered on a state level, thus ensuring fair funding for all whilst allowing each state to direct funds at specific areas of need.

This is how it works in the UK - NHS Scotland is a different entity to NHS England and Wales. They are both funded by Westminster, however they operate separately, allowing each country (state) to decide how best to spend it's funding. For example, prescriptions are free for all in Scotland but not England and Wales (if not now then they will be very shortly), as are eye examinations. That's how they prioritised their spending.

Maybe a similar system could work in the US, ensuring fair funding for all states, while not being seen to diminish a state’s authority.

Just an idea.
Actually, I think you'll find they are free in Wales, but not Scotland. But you were close - and the concept is what is important.

I don't see a nationalized health service happening in the US in my lifetime. Too many fat cats making too much money from the current system. And no, I don't mean CEOs of health insurance companies (although they are not short of a bob or two), I mean politicians.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

Sandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really nice

[QUOTE There is a deep fear that a universal healthcare system will be subject to abuse. Imagine trying to impose one uniform healthcare system across all the EU and you are close to approximating what it would be like across the states by many.[/QUOTE

THATS EXACTLY RIGHT. A UNIFORM SYSTEM WOULD BE GREAT BUT, ITS NOT POSSIBLE INTHE STATES. IT'S THE UNITED STATES BUT EACH STATE HAS ITS OWN GOVERNMENT, LAWS AND PROGRAMS. WHAT YOU CAN GET IN ONE STATE YOU CA'T GET IN ANOTHER. IT'S ABROAD SPECTRAM FROM DIFFERENCES IN HOUSING COSTS, SOCIAL PROGRAMS, AND COST OF LIVING. AT LEAST NOW IT'S FINALLY UP FOR DISCUSSION. tHIS TOPIC IS NOW AT THE FORFRONT OF THE POLITICAL PLATFORM.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=valspal;5841152]
Originally Posted by ukelaine
Ditto on that

But Europe is made up of different Countries, I thought the USA was one Country ?

Different towns in England may have different laws for some things, but, most major laws cover the whole of England. Here in USA who have different rules from one town to the next, like they want to confuse everyone

But, then, how does the medical work in the USA, does that vary from Town to Town and State to State ?

If you are with say, Blue X are you charged a different amount for the same care depending on what State you are in ?

DO you pay a different co-pay, different prescription costs even if you are with the Same Insurance Company, just because of where you live ?

Elaine
Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ukelaine;5842659]
But Europe is made up of different Countries, I thought the USA was one Country ?

Different towns in England may have different laws for some things, but, most major laws cover the whole of England. Here in USA who have different rules from one town to the next, like they want to confuse everyone

But, then, how does the medical work in the USA, does that vary from Town to Town and State to State ?

If you are with say, Blue X are you charged a different amount for the same care depending on what State you are in ?

DO you pay a different co-pay, different prescription costs even if you are with the Same Insurance Company, just because of where you live ?

Elaine
I believe the cost of medical care does differ from state to state. There was an article on TV a while ago which gave comparisons for different surgeries...NJ was one of the most expensive...Florida was considerably cheaper.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:29 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Michael Moore posed the following question (Paraphrased)::

If we can have free education, why can't we have free healthcare?

You see, that's the kind of simple analogy I like. I'm sure there are many complicated reasons why not, but the preceding comments about states being different, etc., doesn't stop children's education being provided from taxes, so why should medical care be any different?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.