Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should forgeiners be made to learn basic English?

Wikiposts

Should forgeiners be made to learn basic English?

Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:39 am

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Should forgeiners be made to learn basic English?

Originally Posted by Franklin
Where I live some sales associates in the local shops have difficulty with understanding English, but I think it would be a good idea if my Spanish was at least as good as their broken English. I think sometimes we are a bit arrogant thinking "they" should speak our language, imho, we should be conversant in both languages especially as Spanish might well overtake English as the dominant language in the USA.
I agree. I'm married to a Mexican American (sadly he doesn't speak Spanish because when he was growing up, his parents were told to speak to him in English). However, my two children will be going to school where they teach Spanish at kindergarten level. I lived in Texas for 11 years and increasingly there were jobs that required someone who was bilingual English-Spanish.

Sara
Old Mar 30th 2005, 1:06 am
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

I'm suprised nobody's mentioned the delicious irony in the thread title here....
Old Mar 30th 2005, 1:39 am
Just Joined

begonia77 is an unknown quantity at this point

The least a person can do is learn basic English if they are moving to the USA or any other country where English is the home language and vice versa with an English speaking settler. When in Rome?
When I move to Spain then I'll learn to speak Spanish with pleasure, but to anticipate that the USA is going to be a spanish speaking nation is ignorant in itself. Shy away from the border and you'll not see a spanish speaking person for miles.
Since when has it become the responsibility of an entire country along with its people to adapt to a forgein visitor's language requirements as opposed to the visitor adapting to the very surroundings by which they have moved, through no choice other than their own, all over the fact that they simply cannot be bothered to learn the native tongue? Soaking up the culture of a new country is a beautiful learning experience, but to ignore the culture and all its pleasures appears to be nothing more than waste of time and energy.

Last edited by begonia77; Mar 30th 2005 at 1:56 am.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 2:09 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by begonia77
Since when has it become the responsibility of an entire country along with its people to adapt to a forgein visitor's language requirements as opposed to the visitor adapting to the very surroundings by which they have moved, through no choice other than their own, all over the fact that they simply cannot be bothered to learn the native tongue? Soaking up the culture of a new country is a beautiful learning experience, but to ignore the culture and all its pleasures appears to be nothing more than waste of time and energy.
Well, there are responsibilities and then there are practicalities...

Remember what happened back home after 1066?
Old Mar 30th 2005, 2:15 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

The least a person can do is learn basic English if they are moving to the USA or any other country where English is the home language and vice versa with an English speaking settler. When in Rome?
When I move to Spain then I'll learn to speak Spanish with pleasure, but to anticipate that the USA is going to be a spanish speaking nation is ignorant in itself. Shy away from the border and you'll not see a spanish speaking person for miles.
The UK has 3 official languages.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 2:18 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
The UK has 3 official languages.
I see a joke about Newcastle folk coming up...

NC Penguin
Old Mar 30th 2005, 2:35 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neathborn
I agree. I'm married to a Mexican American (sadly he doesn't speak Spanish because when he was growing up, his parents were told to speak to him in English). However, my two children will be going to school where they teach Spanish at kindergarten level. I lived in Texas for 11 years and increasingly there were jobs that required someone who was bilingual English-Spanish.
If you make it into a family learning project it will be much easier for them to develop a competent fluency. I had a Mexican-American boyfriend who had spoken only spanish until he began school at age five. Like your husband, his parents were told to speak only English to him so that he could learn the language, and he lost nearly all of his language and his native-born accent. He's gotten some of it back since he lives and works in south Florida now.

One of the first things I taught my eldest was how to roll her 'r's because that's one of the harder sounds to learn when you're older, and essential in having a decent accent. There's plenty of telly in spanish, including footie matches which I prefer to watch in spanish cos of the enthusiasm of the presenters. Many movies are overdubbed in spanish as well.

Texas has been embroiled in the "English-only" movement for years. While I agree that immigrants *should* learn the language of the country they are moving to, I don't think a free country can *force* them.

Bueno suerte,

Amy
Old Mar 30th 2005, 3:13 am
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

Ban all people who can't spell foreigners, bloody forgeiners
Old Mar 30th 2005, 3:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I see a joke about Newcastle folk coming up...

they have to be able to speak first *lol*
Old Mar 30th 2005, 3:20 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tone
Ban all people who can't spell foreigners, bloody forgeiners
I was thinking that cash prizes at adult spelling bees might prove very motivational.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 5:48 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Shy away from the border and you'll not see a spanish speaking person for miles.
Never been to California have you? I also live in Oregon (very northerly) and there's plenty of Spanish speaking people here.

Since when has it become the responsibility of an entire country along with its people to adapt to a forgein visitor's language requirements...
Yes that's true. I wonder how well you would have mastered the 500 different native American languages...

as opposed to the visitor adapting to the very surroundings by which they have moved, through no choice other than their own, all over the fact that they simply cannot be bothered to learn the native tongue?.
Another ignorent statment. Many people have very different circumstances, often coming to the U.S. to escape persecution, maybe they should make time to grab a phrasebook while running for their lives?
Old Mar 30th 2005, 6:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony_2003

Another ignorent statment. Many people have very different circumstances, often coming to the U.S. to escape persecution, maybe they should make time to grab a phrasebook while running for their lives?
One thing if that is the case, but often it isn't, and when they have been here for years and still can't speak it, or are second generation and can hardly speak any English because they speak Spanish as school??
Old Mar 30th 2005, 6:12 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

When I move to Spain then I'll learn to speak Spanish with pleasure, but to anticipate that the USA is going to be a spanish speaking nation is ignorant in itself. Shy away from the border and you'll not see a spanish speaking person for miles.<<snip>>
I don't think you've visited the States recently, have you?

The Spanish speaking population (both legal and illegal) has seen an incredible increase in the last 8-10 years.

See-
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...-spanish_x.htm

I live in North Carolina, hardly close to the USA/Mexico border and there are Spanish speakers living and working here from all over South and Central America.

For example at the DMV office near me (I live in Durham, NC) where you go for driving licenses and the like, signs are in Spanish too and the Drivers Handbook is available in Spanish (as well as 2 other non-English languages).

NC Penguin
Old Mar 30th 2005, 6:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

For example at the DMV office near me (I live in Durham, NC) where you go for driving licenses and the like, signs are in Spanish too and the Drivers Handbook is available in Spanish (as well as 2 other non-English languages).
That's impressive...we have the odd sign, mostly historical info in French, but that's about it...
Old Mar 30th 2005, 7:42 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should foreigner's be made to learn basic English?

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
The other night at work I had a customer who had a problem with a return (exchange) she could not speak a word of english and was using her 6 maybe 7 year old grand daughter to interpret for her...

*snip*

If someone is going to live in the US for that long don't ya think they should have to learn at least some basic English?
Why do you assume the grandmother lives in the States? Maybe she was visiting.

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I see you're using the military method for language learning: don't think, do! You should try Berlitz for any new languages you wish to learn -- this is their method.
I taught English at Berlitz in Chile several years ago -- only the target language spoken in the classroom. I taught at a couple of other language schools before Berlitz and it makes a world of difference when the students are not permitted to speak their native language in class. The Berlitz method really is the best -- none of this word-for-word translation crap. You learn it by speaking and hearing it, period.

And let me tell you, as native speakers we really do take things for granted. I never realized how complex English grammar and structure is. Why do we get "in a car" but "on a bus"? I don't know, we just do. Hmm...

As for the original question, personally I think that it is most beneficial if an immigrant learns at least the basics of the dominant language of their adopted country. However, this is not always feasible, and having been in that situation myself I suppose I am a bit more sympathic than others who have always lived in an environment where their native language is spoken.

~ Jenney

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.