Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should forgeiners be made to learn basic English?

Wikiposts

Should forgeiners be made to learn basic English?

Old Mar 31st 2005, 12:41 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should forgeiners be made to learn basic English?

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I don't think you've visited the States recently, have you?

The Spanish speaking population (both legal and illegal) has seen an incredible increase in the last 8-10 years.

See-
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...-spanish_x.htm

I live in North Carolina, hardly close to the USA/Mexico border and there are Spanish speakers living and working here from all over South and Central America.

For example at the DMV office near me (I live in Durham, NC) where you go for driving licenses and the like, signs are in Spanish too and the Drivers Handbook is available in Spanish (as well as 2 other non-English languages).

NC Penguin
Traverse City Michigan is the cherry capital of the world. This area, approximately 200 miles south of CANADA, produces over 75% of the USA Cherry produce.

you don't think Americans pick the cherries do ya?
Old Mar 31st 2005, 1:11 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by Manc
Traverse City Michigan is the cherry capital of the world. This area, approximately 200 miles south of CANADA, produces over 75% of the USA Cherry produce.

Of course not...its out of work british IT people.

Old Mar 31st 2005, 2:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc

It's what nafta and the canadians are for
well they pick all the spuds and blueberries...but it does cause a stir of excitement when the odd bus load of mexicans turn up to pick things...oh such a diverse state maine is *lol*
Old Mar 31st 2005, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tone
Ban all people who can't spell foreigners, bloody forgeiners
If that was aimed at me... I realised I had not spelt it correctly and edited the title however it only shows on my first post not the thread title anyone can make a typo

Ash
Old Mar 31st 2005, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should foreigner's be made to learn basic English?

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Why do you assume the grandmother lives in the States? Maybe she was visiting.
your right that is an assumption however i was not only talking about that one woman... this is quite common.

Like I said before I have had customers with store charge cards that cannot speak english either. To open a charge card you need a vaild US License/ID and a bank or credit card. So someone who opens an account has strong ties to the US... When someone has been here 4 years (it shows the card issue date on the card) I think they should be able to speak basic english instead of depending on a child... just my opinion.

Ash
Old Mar 31st 2005, 8:52 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Of course not...its out of work british IT people.
Guess I'd better start picking then
Old Mar 31st 2005, 9:21 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I taught English at Berlitz in Chile several years ago -- only the target language spoken in the classroom. I taught at a couple of other language schools before Berlitz and it makes a world of difference when the students are not permitted to speak their native language in class. The Berlitz method really is the best -- none of this word-for-word translation crap. You learn it by speaking and hearing it, period.
I found the Berlitz method works well for some people up to around a lower-intermediate level. However, it is far too dogmatic in its approach and totally negates the function of the teacher: to provide the best path for the actual learner you are teaching at that moment. The best language teaching is that were the teacher provides what you need as a student, not the doctrine permitted by the language school.

It fails miserably at higher levels. For example, try to explain the difference between despite and although without using a modicum of grammar to an adult.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 10:44 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by fatbrit
....It fails miserably at higher levels. For example, try to explain the difference between despite and although without using a modicum of grammar to an adult.
How many native English speakers who havent studied language would know the grammatical difference?

Old Mar 31st 2005, 10:59 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
How many native English speakers who havent studied language would know the grammatical difference?

Very few. That's why it's necessary to have a knowledgeable and experienced foreign language teacher who can explain it in the way most likely to be understood by the student. What you can't do with most adults (young children are very different!) is pretend that grammar doesn't exist!
Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:11 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Everything I do in Spanish happens *now* (in the present tense ) I really need to learn to conjugate.... I understand if someone uses it, though.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 5:58 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
your right that is an assumption however i was not only talking about that one woman... this is quite common.

Like I said before I have had customers with store charge cards that cannot speak english either. To open a charge card you need a vaild US License/ID and a bank or credit card. So someone who opens an account has strong ties to the US... When someone has been here 4 years (it shows the card issue date on the card) I think they should be able to speak basic english instead of depending on a child... just my opinion.

Ash
Easier said than done.

As someone pointed out, English is an extremely difficult language to learn. Couple that with the age of the person, plus the community in which the person lives, and you'll find that it is not that easy.

Spanish is here to stay.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

londonerdanny will become famous soon enoughlondonerdanny will become famous soon enough

Oh and I dont think Spanish is likely to overtake English, but its nice to be proficient in more than one language, and Spanish is, after all, spoken by more people than English world wide.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure somebodys come back on this point already but the threads too long to check and I'm too lazy ! ( )

The most spoken languages are...

1. Chinese (Mandarin) 1,075,000,000
2. English 514,000,000
3. Hindustani 496,000,000
4. Spanish 425,000,000
5. Russian 275,000,000

Time to learn Mandarin I think
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 9:09 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at birth rates in Latin American countries lately?!

Yesterday morning I took my eldest (12) to sign up for courses at her new school (Hi Woodsey! I believe you just went through this?). She wanted to do the slower Spanish course but at 12 with years of Spanish in elementary school behind her you gotta start getting serious. It isn't simply speaking Spanish -- it's speaking another language, which is one of the first steps to curing American ignorance and intentional myopia where the rest of the world is concerned.

I have offered to take a conversational Spanish class with her this summer.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 12:22 am
Just Joined

HLH Moreno is an unknown quantity at this point

fortunately my fiance in Florida is Puerto Rican so spanish lessons is a must to be able to speak with her family better than i do at the moment
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 1:01 am
Just Joined

lady8888 has a brilliant futurelady8888 has a brilliant futurelady8888 has a brilliant futurelady8888 has a brilliant futurelady8888 has a brilliant futurelady8888 has a brilliant futurelady8888 has a brilliant future

Hello guys ,
I am a native spanish speaker , I am studing english .Unfortunately my english isn't good but i am trying to get it better. If you know something about spanish or you want to improve your spanish i will be glad to help you.
I think that my english could improve if i would be able to practise with you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.