Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should forgeiners be made to learn basic English?

Wikiposts

Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:24 am
ImHere

Default Re: Should forgeiners be made to learn basic English?

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I see you're using the military method for language learning: don't think, do! You should try Berlitz for any new languages you wish to learn -- this is their method.

However, as some folks get older the way their brain works changes and they cannot learn in the same way a child would. These folks often need some grammar "hooks" to hang their understanding on -- it helps.

Horses for courses...

Thats what happens when you've been in the military...you get militarized as the yanks would have it.

yeah, I was suggesting that if he cant learn languages the trad way then to try the un traditional way. As you say, horses for courses.

Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:28 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Thats what happens when you've been in the military...you get militarized as the yanks would have it.

yeah, I was suggesting that if he cant learn languages the trad way then to try the un traditional way. As you say, horses for courses.

Whatever works...
as long as it doesn't harm animals or children.

nil sine labore
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:30 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Whatever works...
as long as it doesn't harm animals or children.

nil sine labore

Ex Logistics Corps?

Personally, In Arduis Fidelius

Old Mar 28th 2005, 12:40 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

You speak English dont you? What makes you think you cant speak another one? Its more likely the learning method you find hard not the language itself.

Ive had this argumenrt with language teacher in the past. When we learn our first language as a child we just point and say words then we slowly learn to construct sentences by mimicking what we hear. We dont give a shit about nouns, pronouns, verb conjugation et al until way after we can actually speak a language pretty well...even then most adults go through life without knowing what a bloody pronoun is! Yet when we try to learn a second language we do it all back to front...hundreds of verb tables and grammatical contructs we havent a hope of remembering. No wonder we struggle! Best way to learn is to mix with native speakers and go for the "Point and speak" method. Trust me its a whole lot easier since thats how our brains are programmed to learn a language.
Have you ever tried learning a language that doesn't have a Roman alphabet such as Russian, Chinese or Japanese? What about a language with different grammatical construction?

Just wondering...

NC Penguin
Old Mar 28th 2005, 1:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Have you ever tried learning a language that doesn't have a Roman alphabet such as Russian, Chinese or Japanese? What about a language with different grammatical construction?
russian alphabet isn't that hard to get your head around, and the language is pretty easy to pic up, according to the missus...all I can remember from her learning tapes was pizza, pizza supreme *lol*
Old Mar 28th 2005, 3:22 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

Just wondering...

NC Penguin

No. Have you? But then I guess about 2 billion people have all learnt Chinese or Russian without knowing how to conjugate a verb. Amazing really.

I had a friend who could speak 7 languages fluently including Russian and Mandarin Chinese. Dont ask me how.

Old Mar 28th 2005, 3:23 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I had a friend who could speak 7 languages fluently including Russian and Mandarin Chinese. Dont ask me how.
by practising I imagine.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 3:25 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Manc
by practising I imagine.

You would think so but she actually was a complete natural linguist and could pick up a new language almost straight away. I remember she started learning Italian one day...could speak it conversationally within a couple of weeks.

Old Mar 28th 2005, 4:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You would think so but she actually was a complete natural linguist and could pick up a new language almost straight away. I remember she started learning Italian one day...could speak it conversationally within a couple of weeks.
yeah, one of my mates is like that, he's icelandic, so obviously speaks that, but also speaks danish, german, italian-while on a week holiday, french because he moved to Switzerland and thought he needed it but ended up moving to a german speaking part...and also speaks good spanish, latin and greek...he just picks it up when he hears people speaking a different langauge in the background he's figuring it out somehow and then a couple hours of a tape, or being in the country and he's conversational in the language.

Kind of envious, the git.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 5:01 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Spent a week in Bali a few years back with 2 translators that worked for the EU in Brussels - each of them had 5 or 6 languages. I speak a little Indonesian (about enough to ask the caddie for the right golf club and know when they were taking the p1ss when I smacked it into the jungle - again) and expected these 2 girls to sail past me on picking up the lingo.... Indonesian is a fairly 'basic' language, and I was amazed that they struggled bigtime - at the end of the week they could just about order a beer, and say thank you. Very odd - they obviously had an aptitude for languages, but this one defeated them.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

superpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to all

No. Have you? But then I guess about 2 billion people have all learnt Chinese or Russian without knowing how to conjugate a verb. Amazing really.

I did a bit of Russian at university - I can still read cyrillic, but I can't remember much more than please, thankyou, exit and 'That's the Smirnoff's house'. They offered it as an option to Maths and Comp Sci students due to the number of maths papers in Russian.

Now my wife is a linguist - French and Spanish at school, then more French and Mandarin Chinese at university (Language and Linguistics at York). On her year in France she had to take one course for credit, so she took Hungarian, so she was at no disadvantage to the French students! Since Uni she's done Italian at evening classes and on holidays.

Mandarin Chinese was very impressive, although she never got to use it in the UK, as most Chinese people there speak Cantonese (the dialect from Hong Kong and its environs). The only time she really used it was on holiday in San Francisco - Chinatown, of course.

Cheers,

Pat
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:17 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

If we're going to force people to learn things, I would suggest that we start with the Americans:

"There are countries other than America."

"There are more people in the world who do NOT speak English than those who do."

Last edited by snowbunny; Mar 28th 2005 at 8:21 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
yeah, one of my mates is like that, he's icelandic, so obviously speaks that, but also speaks danish, german, italian-while on a week holiday, french because he moved to Switzerland and thought he needed it but ended up moving to a german speaking part...and also speaks good spanish, latin and greek...he just picks it up when he hears people speaking a different langauge in the background he's figuring it out somehow and then a couple hours of a tape, or being in the country and he's conversational in the language.

Kind of envious, the git.
It depends on what languages a person can speak, although it's still quite an accomplishment.

French/Spanish/Italian (sp?) are similar, if you have one down, chances are you will do pretty well at the others.

But I would be really impressed if someone could speak a variety of languages based on completely different structures, i.e. English, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Arabic, Farsi etc...
Old Mar 29th 2005, 1:43 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. If you move to another country, you should at least respect their mother tongue and learn it.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind

Yes. If you move to another country, you should at least respect their mother tongue and learn it.
Absolutely, I think the phrase 'When in Rome...' applies here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.