Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should forgeiners be made to learn basic English?

Wikiposts

Should forgeiners be made to learn basic English?

Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should forgeiners be made to learn basic English?

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
tienes un culo hermoso
always important, along with asking where the bogs are
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should foreigner's be made to learn basic English?

Originally Posted by Franklin
On information and belief there is no official language in the USA. I recall someone saying that in the not too distant future, Spanish will overtake English as the first spoken language in the USA. Given the demographics, shouldn’t we all seek to be conversant in English and Spanish?
Well the offical language was almost German back in the day, only lost the vote by a couple votes
ImHere

Which part of Miami Dade are you in?

I live in Palm Beach County on the border with Broward, about 30 minutes or so from downtown Miami. But I enter the Miami-Dade area for work often.

Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:06 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by Bob
always important, along with asking where the bogs are

Hmmm... Senorita, tienes un culo hermoso, y donde esta los servicios?

Nice. Makes you sound like a dirty old bloke off for a quick shuffle.

Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:07 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by ImHere
You should all come on down here to Miami-Dade and see how many people speak English to you. Not many will thats for sure.
Where I live some sales associates in the local shops have difficulty with understanding English, but I think it would be a good idea if my Spanish was at least as good as their broken English. I think sometimes we are a bit arrogant thinking "they" should speak our language, imho, we should be conversant in both languages especially as Spanish might well overtake English as the dominant language in the USA.

Last edited by Franklin; Mar 28th 2005 at 8:09 am.

Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:07 am
Franklin

Default Re: Should foreigner's be made to learn basic English?

Originally Posted by Bob
Well the offical language was almost German back in the day, only lost the vote by a couple votes
*nods*

Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:09 am
ImHere

In my local a lot of the sales associates in the local shops have difficulty with understanding English, but I think it would be a good idea if my Spanish was at least as good as their broken English. I think sometimes we are a bit arrogant thinking "they" should speak our language, imho, we should be conversant in both languages especially as Spanish might well overtake English as the dominant language in the USA.

Hence why I am learning Spanish. Some of my friends here are native Spanish speakers and they are helping me with it while I help them with English...makes for interesting conversations over a few beers.

Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:11 am
Franklin

Hence why I am learning Spanish. Some of my friends here are native Spanish speakers and they are helping me with it while I help them with English...makes for interesting conversations over a few beers.
I bet!

Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Donde esta los servicios?

Surely you mean los baños? or are you asking for her services?

My fiancee is in Miami Dade, the southwest, can't remember the community name though. I did get lost in Broward once coming out of North Miami Beach.

I don't think Spanish will overtake English as the dominant language seeing how most of the Latin people born in the US will learn English at school and apparently some of them have pretty bad Spanish skills.

-tom
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

UJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant future

I think sometimes we are a bit arrogant thinking "they" should speak our language, imho, we should be conversant in both languages especially as Spanish might well overtake English as the dominant language in the USA.
But as I said in a previous post, it depends where you are in the country. With a lack of hispanics in this area, and my proximity to French Canada it would make more sense for me to brush up on my high school French than learn Spanish (neither of which I intend to do...)

With English becoming more prevalent as the 'international business language', and with all the isolationist feelings (especially in the south/midwest) there is no way Spnish will overtake English in this country.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

aye, but it sounds better in spanish *lol*
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:24 am
ImHere

Donde esta los servicios?

Surely you mean los baños? or are you asking for her services?

My fiancee is in Miami Dade, the southwest, can't remember the community name though. I did get lost in Broward once coming out of North Miami Beach.

I don't think Spanish will overtake English as the dominant language seeing how most of the Latin people born in the US will learn English at school and apparently some of them have pretty bad Spanish skills.

-tom

(Cuarto de) Banos = Bathroom
Servicios = (Toilet) services AKA the Bog.
Tocador = Toilet.

Any can be used to ask for the lavvy. Although using Servicios (pronounced Ser bi see os) in this instance is a play on words having just mentioned her cute ass...Understanding humour is apparently the first indicator you are proficient in a language.

Oh and I dont think Spanish is likely to overtake English, but its nice to be proficient in more than one language, and Spanish is, after all, spoken by more people than English world wide.

Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by UJ_99
But as I said in a previous post, it depends where you are in the country. With a lack of hispanics in this area, and my proximity to French Canada it would make more sense for me to brush up on my high school French than learn Spanish (neither of which I intend to do...)
true here too...lot come over to pick spuds in the summer with the odd bus load of mexicans, pick the blueberries and apples too...so it's strange that the language that's getting a lot of attention in schools is german around here, followed by french, hardly any spanish.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

In my immediate neighbourhood the second language is slowly becoming Indian.

The only Spanish speaking people I hear either work in my local Shop Rite or Walmart.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Oh and I dont think Spanish is likely to overtake English, but its nice to be proficient in more than one language, and Spanish is, after all, spoken by more people than English world wide.
forms of it at least...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.