Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Scared of driving in the US

Scared of driving in the US

Old Mar 28th 2010, 8:29 am
Just Joined

ChasUK will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Scared of driving in the US

I also want to add that the concept of 4 way stop signs is soooo much better than a roundabout. Roundabouts are fine with sensible traffic levels but if they have high traffic then the selfish gits queue across them blocking people trying to go across perpendicular to them!
Old Mar 28th 2010, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice

I was a little nervous when i first drove in NJ on holiday in Feb, but that was mainly down to the snow and driving an automatic in the snow (never a great combination, give me a manual any day in that situation).

However I have spent the past 5 years living in france, so driving on the "wrong" side is second nature now, and I must say, after getting used to the logic over there, driving in the US is so much easier than driving in Europe.

I'd say it's similar to driving in Australia, nice wide roads, no cars parked in the middle of them as in Europe, and much better signed etc.

Can't wait to get back over there.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 10:29 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blargins
I was a little nervous when i first drove in NJ on holiday in Feb, but that was mainly down to the snow and driving an automatic in the snow (never a great combination, give me a manual any day in that situation)..
Funny, I was in New Jersey in February. The bitch I have is that Bergen County can't be bothered to SIGN their bloody streets and roads!

As for the automatic v stick -- I've driven both in the snow and other adverse weather. Personally, I think that an atuo combined with traction control & anti-lock brakes is wonderful -- less to worry about. My present car is German and it was one of the few sedans with a stick -- but they advised that the traction control was not as good.

I owned sticks for 25 years and still rent them abroad. I've come to like the auto's better.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Most 15 year olds figure it out pretty quick. It's not difficult.

Put the gear selector in "D" (for "Drive") the pedal on the right makes the car go, the pedal on the left makes it stop, if you want to exit the car, put the selector into the "P" (for "Park") position first. You don't have to worry about turn indicators here, you'll seldom use the brakes... Most US drivers can drive, eat a full meal, apply makeup/shave and carry on a cellphone conversation simultaneously.
You are hilarious!

But, honestly it is 10 times easier driving here using an automatic car. The first time you go out driving will be a bit weird on the other side of the road, but you will get used to it very quickly. It will feel like a breeze compared to back home if you drive an automatic.

On the other hand, when I go back home to visit I never drive, because I am scared I'll forget what side of the road I am on, not to mention using a gear shift (now that's hard if you haven't driven in a country for 22 years).
Old Mar 29th 2010, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice

Originally Posted by Marmalade
You are hilarious!

But, honestly it is 10 times easier driving here using an automatic car. The first time you go out driving will be a bit weird on the other side of the road, but you will get used to it very quickly. It will feel like a breeze compared to back home if you drive an automatic.

On the other hand, when I go back home to visit I never drive, because I am scared I'll forget what side of the road I am on, not to mention using a gear shift (now that's hard if you haven't driven in a country for 22 years).
A little trick I use to make sure I drive on the correct side of the road. Basically always ensure that your body is next to the centre line. It's that simple really.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

daven2505 is just really nicedaven2505 is just really nicedaven2505 is just really nicedaven2505 is just really nicedaven2505 is just really nicedaven2505 is just really nicedaven2505 is just really nicedaven2505 is just really nice

I've moved over to the Boston area this year & i'll have to say the standard of driving in this area is really bad & it gets worse when you move out to Natick/Framingham.

In the UK we moan about the state of the road surface, drivers who refuse to move over from middle lane & who drive to close but we have it good in the UK.
I never feel unsafe driving at home or even in Europe(France, Italy & Germany) but here its just madness, trucks with no speed restriction pulling 70-80mph, cars drifting from lane to lane, driving so close to your car you cant even see their headlights in your rear view, cutting you up at junctions & as for the junction design and surfaces well lets just say its from the dark ages. I don't know if its just me but it seems that when the yanks get behind a wheel they switch off to everyone around them & continue as if they are the only ones on the road. So far in my three months here I feel that this country needs a good kick up the backside and as for the anti healthcare lobby
Old Mar 29th 2010, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by daven2505
I've moved over to the Boston area this year & i'll have to say the standard of driving in this area is really bad & it gets worse when you move out to Natick/Framingham.

In the UK we moan about the state of the road surface, drivers who refuse to move over from middle lane & who drive to close but we have it good in the UK.
I never feel unsafe driving at home or even in Europe(France, Italy & Germany) but here its just madness, trucks with no speed restriction pulling 70-80mph, cars drifting from lane to lane, driving so close to your car you cant even see their headlights in your rear view, cutting you up at junctions & as for the junction design and surfaces well lets just say its from the dark ages. I don't know if its just me but it seems that when the yanks get behind a wheel they switch off to everyone around them & continue as if they are the only ones on the road. So far in my three months here I feel that this country needs a good kick up the backside and as for the anti healthcare lobby
That was something that surprised me, the conditions of the road surfaces, but then I'm used to French roads which have the smoothest surfaces I've ever seen in general.

Want to see mad driving, drive around the Arc de Triomphe.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 4:22 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Why'd you stop? Sounded like you were just getting warmed up.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 4:23 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

The United States is a big place. I believe that there was an adverse comment on Boston previously. The vehicle mix and driving culture is quite different in various regions of the US. One of my kids went to school in Cambridge and she instructed me that I had to practice "offensive driving" rather than "defensive driving." Why, Cambridge even named the road fronting the Charles River "Memorial Drive" in memory for the pedestrians killed on the road.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 4:28 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Why'd you stop? Sounded like you were just getting warmed up.
My father is 88 years old and he has renewed his hatred of the Republican party. Of course, he was a young worshiper of Saint Franklin Delano Roosevelt. My dad's healthcare is taken care of -- it is his health I worry about. Fortunately, he has low blood pressure. I mirror him a lot in MY medical condition except mom left me her eyesight and high blood pressure.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mellybrown
... Turning right on a red is the best idea ever btw ...
Turning right on a red is a good idea as long as people still realise that they need to treat it as a stop sign and actually STOP before they make the right turn!

Driving is the US is no problem. If you're anything more than a poor driver in the UK, you'll be an average or better driver in the US irrespective of which side of the road/car you're on.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

That was something that surprised me, the conditions of the road surfaces, but then I'm used to French roads which have the smoothest surfaces I've ever seen in general.

There was a lot of tax cuts over the years instead of maintaining the infrastructure. That is why it is estimated that the US will need to spend over $1 trillion to repair and maintain the current infrastructure.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 6:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChasUK
I also want to add that the concept of 4 way stop signs is soooo much better than a roundabout. Roundabouts are fine with sensible traffic levels but if they have high traffic then the selfish gits queue across them blocking people trying to go across perpendicular to them!
bit like they do with stop signs....biggest car goes first or you get crunched.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 6:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the burbs and the metro west

My neck of the woods....and the road care here in winter is awesomely shit...even back roads of Maine are in better shape
Old Mar 30th 2010, 1:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.