British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Scared of driving in the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/scared-driving-us-660745/)

daisy30uk Mar 23rd 2010 12:11 pm

Scared of driving in the US

Hi everyone,

I am really excited by the prospect of relocating to the US but I am petrified of having to drive on the other side of the road!

My husband has said that when we go out for a look around visit in May, I will have to drive as he will have to be working whilst he is out there.

Frankly I am so petrified I have butterflies in my tummy even writing about it now!

I have had a look on Google to see if I can find anyone in the UK who is able to provide lessons on driving on the other side of the road before I go just so that I have some practise beforehand but haven't been able to find anything. Does anyone know of a driving school that can offer this kind of service?

Alternatively, I will have to find a school in the US when I get over there but I can find that information on the 'net unless anyone has anyone they would like to recommend in Columbus, Ohio. Or share their experiences of learning to drive in the US after years of driving in the UK?

Then there is the scary notion that I will have to drive an automatic - but I don't even want to think about it ...

Karen

foxymfc Mar 23rd 2010 12:51 pm

Re: Scared of driving in the US

If it makes you feel any better, I'm just as terrified. The only difference is I've still to learn to drive!

I would have thought that someone would offer the service of providing lessons in driving on the other side, with the European countries all driving the wrong way as well. I know some places do lessons in driving an automatic.

I had a few lessons in the USA last month, and it was a bit weird to start with as even though it's been 12 years since my last driving lesson it still didn't feel right not having a clutch.

So at the moment I'm torn between using the time I'm in the UK selling my house to get my UK drivers licence, and then getting used to driving in the USA. Or do I just wait and learn over there as I'm not going to be driving in the UK anyway?

traceym Mar 23rd 2010 1:06 pm

I was just as terrified, I really understand how you feel, I had sleepless nights over it, I REFUSED to drive but.............

100 deg heat, a 2 mile walk to and from the supermarket carrying the shopping back, I really couldn't handle that either. So I tried, and guess what, its easy, in fact dare I say that I now find driving in the UK much harder, it's them that drive on the wrong side in my opinion!

What I did was go out in the car on my own but I followed my husband in his car, so I could see which lanes to use etc, within 2 days I was off out and about on my own. Perhaps if you have a friend you could do this with it may help?

Honestly, don't let it worry you it really isn't as bad as you think.:)

daisy30uk Mar 23rd 2010 1:33 pm

Thank you all for reassuring me that I am not the only one to be terrified of learning to drive on the other side of the road and with an automatic!

My husband has told me that in many ways it is much easier with an automatic but I am just not so sure when I would have to learn to do two new things in such a dangerous situation!

On the other hand, I have just realised that I did learn all those new things together when I learnt to drive in the first place - so I should be able to do this again!

Tracey, what a great idea! I think it is relearning something that seems so second nature that is bothering me - but if I were following someone else, that would be reassuring.

foxymfc, I personally think that you might be better just waiting until you are in the US and learning to drive from scratch over there as I think it is more nerve wracking to have to relearn something. You will have just got used to all of the rules and regulations for the UK only to have them be very different in the US and I would get very muddled!

I did do a dummy written test on the Ohio State driving department website which tests your knowledge of the driving regulations with things like when you can right turn on red to the size and weight of child that goes in a child seat - and I scored 8/10 on the first attempt. Not bad, I thought!

Good luck with whichever decision you make and let me know how you get on!

Karen

Venus Mar 23rd 2010 1:38 pm

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that feels like that. We are also "hopefully" relocating at the end of the year. I'm getting so worried about everything and one of those things is the driving. I have brothers in the US and they tell me all the time that it is easier as the roads are wider but still I'm petrified and keep thinking that I'll have an accident... so silly :(
I guess is more the fear of the unknown and once we get there we will have to get over that fear pretty quickly, good luck!

daisy30uk Mar 23rd 2010 1:40 pm

Absolutely!

It looks as though we will be moving out permanently in August (subject to the usual change!) so I will let you know how I get on!

Karen

mellybrown Mar 23rd 2010 1:45 pm

I really wouldnt worry - once you have done it a few times its easy as pie! The written test is a joke, as is the road test! Ask anyone on here who has actually done it and they will tell you the same!

Turning right on a red is the best idea ever btw :thumbsup:

And you dont HAVE to drive an automatic!!!

traceym Mar 23rd 2010 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by mellybrown (Post 8441543)

Turning right on a red is the best idea ever btw :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

budleigh Mar 23rd 2010 1:52 pm

Your husband is right about it being easier in an automatic. It does seem strange but I bet you agree when you try it.
I drove in Feb when we were over choosing a house, I took a few days as just being a passenger to get a feel for it. Then about 15 mins with my husband in the car then on my own for an afternoon with the kids! It is stressful, but I know I will get used to it eventually. One of the first things we brought was a sat nav and that does really help to reassure you too. I found the traffic pace was generally slower over there too.
Not looking forward to retaking my driving test though!
Niccy

Duncan Roberts Mar 23rd 2010 1:54 pm

When you sit on the opposite side of the car it feels natural to drive on the other side. The biggest thing I noticed was looking out of the drivers window instead of the rear view mirror and getting in the passenger side. The latter I still do when I'm not thinking! Everything else just felt right, even the gear stick. The pedals are the same, if they weren't then maybe it would be a different story.

another bloody yank Mar 23rd 2010 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by daisy30uk (Post 8441329)
Hi everyone,

I am really excited by the prospect of relocating to the US but I am petrified of having to drive on the other side of the road!

My husband has said that when we go out for a look around visit in May, I will have to drive as he will have to be working whilst he is out there.

Frankly I am so petrified I have butterflies in my tummy even writing about it now!

I have had a look on Google to see if I can find anyone in the UK who is able to provide lessons on driving on the other side of the road before I go just so that I have some practise beforehand but haven't been able to find anything. Does anyone know of a driving school that can offer this kind of service?

Alternatively, I will have to find a school in the US when I get over there but I can find that information on the 'net unless anyone has anyone they would like to recommend in Columbus, Ohio. Or share their experiences of learning to drive in the US after years of driving in the UK?

Then there is the scary notion that I will have to drive an automatic - but I don't even want to think about it ...

Karen

Originally Posted by foxymfc (Post 8441428)
If it makes you feel any better, I'm just as terrified. The only difference is I've still to learn to drive!

I would have thought that someone would offer the service of providing lessons in driving on the other side, with the European countries all driving the wrong way as well. I know some places do lessons in driving an automatic.

I had a few lessons in the USA last month, and it was a bit weird to start with as even though it's been 12 years since my last driving lesson it still didn't feel right not having a clutch.

So at the moment I'm torn between using the time I'm in the UK selling my house to get my UK drivers licence, and then getting used to driving in the USA. Or do I just wait and learn over there as I'm not going to be driving in the UK anyway?

Most 15 year olds figure it out pretty quick. It's not difficult.

Put the gear selector in "D" (for "Drive") the pedal on the right makes the car go, the pedal on the left makes it stop, if you want to exit the car, put the selector into the "P" (for "Park") position first. You don't have to worry about turn indicators here, you'll seldom use the brakes... Most US drivers can drive, eat a full meal, apply makeup/shave and carry on a cellphone conversation simultaneously.

Jerseygirl Mar 23rd 2010 2:01 pm

Driving an automatic is a breeze compared to a stick shift...although you will instinctively put your foot down on an imaginary clutch for a while.

My advice is don't think about it too much because you can talk yourself into being afraid...just get in the car in a quiet area and drive. Good luck.

jayde Mar 23rd 2010 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by daisy30uk (Post 8441329)
Hi everyone,

Karen

Because everything is set up for the right it seems to become natural very quickly. My biggest problem is when I return to the car I am likely to return to the wrong side and have even got in the passenger side a few times. But I was the driver!

The only issue I have left is getting it right about which exit from the carpark will take me in the direction I want to go, my head gets turned around as to which way the traffic is travelling, but U turns fix it if I am going South instead of North, and the compass we put in the car has been very useful, as is the GPS we started using lately.

I also goggled at what I thought was a dog driving, not remembering the driver was on the opposite side of the car.

Then I worried that I would not be able to switch back! I am just a worry wart, but that all came naturally too.

I think you will be very proud of yourself at how well you drive in the USA, and when it comes to taking the test, it isnt anywhere near the driving test I took to get my licence, just a bit of a drive around a carpark and it was approved, how easy is that!

penguinsix Mar 23rd 2010 2:32 pm

Honestly, it takes just a few minutes to adjust. It's not that big of a deal. And automatic? Please--that's the easy bit. You just aim (steer) basically when you have an automatic.

If you do encounter problems it will be in 'tricky' situations--such as a left turn lane that goes half way and then stops for a second light for pedestrians, or something weird like that. The problem isn't necessarily obeying signals, but in doing the proper "head checks". When entering traffic, in the states you look "left, right, and left again" as oncoming traffic from the left would hit you first. That can be habitual in that you look the wrong way for traffic so you just have to be sure to head check both directions (and eventually get around to looking left first).

Your biggest problem isn't going to be you but everyone else trying to kill you. Ever seen the bicycle masses of Shanghai, or the mini-scooters of Vietnam, or the small car craziness of Mexico or Africa? Well America is a melting pot of crappy drivers from around the world.

AmerLisa Mar 23rd 2010 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 8441587)
Most 15 year olds figure it out pretty quick. It's not difficult.

Put the gear selector in "D" (for "Drive") the pedal on the right makes the car go, the pedal on the left makes it stop, if you want to exit the car, put the selector into the "P" (for "Park") position first. You don't have to worry about turn indicators here, you'll seldom use the brakes... Most US drivers can drive, eat a full meal, apply makeup/shave and carry on a cellphone conversation simultaneously.

:rofl:

Way to reassure her ABY....:eek:

Try driving around an empty parking lot when you come over and then find some empty streets to practice on. I'd get lessons before you ever attempt a freeway trip though.... Freeways always scare me!

Good luck, you'll do fine! I managed the roads of the UK and the US, you just have to get your confidence up. :)