Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Scared of driving in the US

Scared of driving in the US

Old Mar 24th 2010, 8:01 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Scared of driving in the US

Originally Posted by lansbury
hey you have forgotten the other Washington State rule. Pick a lane preferable either the left or middle one and stick in that lane driving at least 5mph below the speed limit regardless of how much traffic is behind you trying to get past.
Better than the equivalent TX rule, where they struggle to pass you, cut in right in front of your front bumper and then slow down to 5mph lower than you.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 10:08 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Better than the equivalent TX rule, where they struggle to pass you, cut in right in front of your front bumper and then slow down to 5mph lower than you.
They do that here too. Or come past you on cruise control with it set 1 mile faster than your speed and see if they can feed you the back of 18 wheeler in front of you. That does really annoy me why can't they just accelerate and go by so you can pull out.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 10:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

They do that here too. Or come past you on cruise control with it set 1 mile faster than your speed and see if they can feed you the back of 18 wheeler in front of you. That does really annoy me why can't they just accelerate and go by so you can pull out.
because they're cocks.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
because they're cocks.
Yes. Yes they are.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:00 am
Account Closed

I_miss_real_beer is an unknown quantity at this point

Americans are generally terrible drivers. Its too damn easy to get your drivers license here! My driving test when I first moved here 7 years ago, was complete in less than an hour. The written test, AND the practical driving part... scary.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 1:27 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I_miss_real_beer
Americans are generally terrible drivers. Its too damn easy to get your drivers license here! My driving test when I first moved here 7 years ago, was complete in less than an hour. The written test, AND the practical driving part... scary.
An hour that long mine was 25 minutes for the 2 parts.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:38 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

I was also terrified of driving a strange car, that was automatic, on the wrong side of the road but was totally amazed how easy it was to get used to it.

The road system took a while longer to get used to - ie the off and on roads for the interstate are not where i expected them to be and confused me a lot for a while - but i did get used to them.

The Ohio driving test is a peice of cake too - couldnt have taken more than 7 mins and 3 of those were sitting at traffic lights. We just walked into the office and sat the computerised test (but we had read through the much smaller highway code manual first) and came back another day to do the actual manoever and driving test. Biggest pain was having to get a signed letter from husbands HR (on letterheaded paper) stating he was employed on a L1A visa in Ohio etc - which they wanted before they would give us the actual licence (and when we renewed it they wanted another up to date letter).
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

This wont help much but I just spent an hour at the DMV, so I timed the driving tests, the longest was 24 minutes the shortest 11 minutes, no need to say any more I think!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:48 pm

An hour that long mine was 25 minutes for the 2 parts.
Don't forget, I failed the driving part, twice and only passed the written at first attempt because the answer key was in black and white and there was no way for them to find an excuse to fail me. The shortest one was 30s, as the examiner had apparently decided to fail me before we got in the car...

Useful info: Don't take your test in a depressed small town where the locals are upset about "furriners taking our jobs". I eventually went to a big city and passed with no problems.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
That sounds about like here. In addition to doing that, they usually wait until they are right on your bumper, before violently swerve into the next lane to overtake, then violently swerve back in. I've never seen so many sideswipe collisions and accidents on perfectly straight and easy to drive on roads as I have in the US.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

sherry2468 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just like everyone else who has replied, I felt exactly the same. Scared witless ! Ohio has loads of open road space so try & get out of Columbus & get used to driving around on quiet roads, taking your time with the turns & you will soon find it comes easily and you will soon be ready for the city. Good luck.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 5:35 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisy30uk
I should get some practice in gesticulating towards other drivers with the other hand than I am used to doing too
I'd lose the gesticulating - you'll understand why when you see the shotguns mounted on the inside windscreen of trucks.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 3:17 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
This wont help much but I just spent an hour at the DMV, so I timed the driving tests, the longest was 24 minutes the shortest 11 minutes, no need to say any more I think!
Back in the late 90's I had to wait on daughters six times for driving tests. California has an interesting rule -- if you make a mistake that would be a moving violation in front of cop -- automatic fail. I had an unhappy teenager on my hands after each of the short tests.

After each failure, I would my little sweetie take me through the test route they had just done. Three times, I had to go "you do see the mistake you made?" It was easier coming from me I guess -- two of the times, I went "I see what happened, and I would have done the same thing."

On the last test with youngest, she came back in tears after 25 minutes. However, the examiner had the cheek to start yelling at ME for allowing her to take the test! Sweetie wanted to see the boss -- I told her "fine, just remember I was not in the car." Well the manager listened gently and I said "I wasn't in the car, but she yelled at ME. I would have never let her drive here if I didn't think she was ready." I guess the manager had had trouble with that lady -- he said "Tell you what, I will personally reexamine you. But you are too upset now. Go out and have a cup of coffee with your father and come back in one hour." He was true to his word.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 4:29 am
Just Joined

ChasUK will become famous soon enough

I guess that being a west London cab driver for 16 years before I came out to TN helped somewhat. I have no fear driving here, just a dropped jaw in amazement at how close people tailgate here. It wouldn't be so bad if they just got up the rear of cars but I've seen people doing 70+ when they are 3 feet from the back of a semi. They aren't going to live very long. Overtaking on the inside too is so common it's frightening. Engish drivers have the rep of being mercenary but they/we don't hold a candle to the aggresive tendancies here in TN. It's lucky the roads are so straight. Use of the steering wheel is more common in the UK. LOL

The driving test here in TN is an absolute joke. If you know how to get in the car and operate the lights and wipers, know where the brake and gas pedals are and know to stop at a red light you are pretty much safe. The UK test gives people ulcers worrying about for weeks in advance. I say weeks because you very rarely are able to take your test soon after you apply. You get the same sort of multiple choice question stage first now, (I didn't have that when I took my test, it was introduced after), but for the actual tst they check your eyesight before you get into the car by getting you to read a number plate some distance away. The off you go and you have to do several things along the way. Constantly remember the mantra "mirror, signal, manouever", distance from the kerb or parked vehicles. You have to do a 3 point turn without touching the kerb, reverse around a corner, do an emergency stop and much more. And what-is-more you have to do it in a manual transmission to be able to drive any car of your choice thereafter. If you pass in an auto then you can only drive autos. That's not a problem over here because it seems there are so few manuals or "stick shifts" here, but to a lot of us Brits, you can only really enjoy driving when you are pumping that clutch and getting your gear changes right.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 5:36 am
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

My husband was scared too, but we started off small. He takes the kids to school which is less than a mile to drive, he also drives himself to work and home. He gets the joys of several traffic lights, turn lanes, 4 way and 1 way stops, intersections and roads with no lines. I am still to scared to let him venture out very far on his own lol!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.