Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Scared of driving in the US

Scared of driving in the US

Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

daisy30uk is a jewel in the roughdaisy30uk is a jewel in the roughdaisy30uk is a jewel in the roughdaisy30uk is a jewel in the roughdaisy30uk is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Scared of driving in the US

I can't thank you all enough. You have made me laugh so that I have cried reading some of the fun comments - as well as being really grateful for the advice. I genuinely feel reassured about me being able to do this now - even if the other drivers that I will have to meet are out to get me!

I can definitely see me reaching for the window instead of the brake and the other little mishaps - and I should get some practice in gesticulating towards other drivers with the other hand than I am used to doing too

Karen
Old Mar 24th 2010, 12:41 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
although you can buy a manual shift car easily enough, I think almost all rentals are automatic.
I am not so sure about that. Most models do not come in stick-shift, and the ones that do, there will not be that many on the lot [for example, the Honda Fit has stick available, but 95% are sold with automatic].

Also, automatics have gotten so efficient that the gasoline consumption penalty is not all that significant. Also, it is easier for the manufacturers to certify automatics for emission controls because human drivers cannot be integrated into the engine/brake management controls. Furthermore, the slight difference will be erased every time you have to replace that damn clutch. And automatics are bullet proof these days as long as you replace the fluids every so often.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 12:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Furthermore, the slight difference will be erased every time you have to replace that damn clutch. And automatics are bullet proof these days as long as you replace the fluids every so often.
I've never had a clutch bust up on me...tranny flushes at every 30K ain't cheap and replacing a automatic tranny is way more pricey...I think people just need to be taught to drive a manual properly and get more experience with them, seems to be a big fear of the things.

But you are right, finding a manual ain't that easy, quite a few Mazda and Saturn manuals around though.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 12:54 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

I am not so sure about that. Most models do not come in stick-shift, and the ones that do, there will not be that many on the lot [for example, the Honda Fit has stick available, but 95% are sold with automatic].

Also, automatics have gotten so efficient that the gasoline consumption penalty is not all that significant. Also, it is easier for the manufacturers to certify automatics for emission controls because human drivers cannot be integrated into the engine/brake management controls. Furthermore, the slight difference will be erased every time you have to replace that damn clutch. And automatics are bullet proof these days as long as you replace the fluids every so often.
I have had a second hand and now a new car and both have been manual, I tried an automatic but hated that I didnt have the control, only problems I have had are when valet parkers dont know how to drive it.

To the OP I was wary of driving here, can honestly say it now feels normal on the right, unfortunately I dont drive when I go to the UK now.

Just go out when its quiet and practice you will be fine.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 12:59 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I find a few drinks before setting out steadies the nerves nicely.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing to remember if you purchase a Toyota with an automatic transmission, you'll have to put it into neutral if it doesn't stop.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 9:58 am
Just Joined

EssexJanner is on a distinguished road

In Florida the main hazards seems to be little old folks driving huge 1980s Cadillacs. My best advice for a new driver is to run away very fast when you spot one of these senior people. My part of Florida is often nicknamed "God's waiting room". You can imagine that everyday is sheer terror on these streets. Fortunately the roads are about 100 feet wide and arrow straight which seems to help the oldies in their driving. Without the problem of curves and roundabouts they can focus on ramming the car in front or mowing down the occasional "lesser-spotted" pedestrian.

So, avoid the greys...and pray alot!
Old Mar 24th 2010, 12:52 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never owned or driven an automatic, except for rentals in the US, and I haven't rented a car here for twenty years or more (rentals in England are usually manual unless you specifically request an automatic.) I've never had a problem with a clutch or had to replace one. It is true that you sometimes have to dig deeper to buy a manual transmission car, which sometimes means paying more if they have to transfer it from a dealership hundreds of miles away rather than selling you one that they have in stock..
Old Mar 24th 2010, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Right, that is definitely observed on I-5 between Seattle and Portland.

Sometimes I think a front-mounted Browning M3 .50 should be permissible...
Or the 167, 405, 90.....

And btw, so does my husband (the Browning....)
Old Mar 24th 2010, 2:38 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I've never owned or driven an automatic, except for rentals in the US, and I haven't rented a car here for twenty years or more (rentals in England are usually manual unless you specifically request an automatic.) I've never had a problem with a clutch or had to replace one. It is true that you sometimes have to dig deeper to buy a manual transmission car, which sometimes means paying more if they have to transfer it from a dealership hundreds of miles away rather than selling you one that they have in stock..
Owned at least one stick from 1971 to 1997. Can still drive them well. Just don't miss them. On that Fit I test drove, I had yet to get used to that particular clutch and I apologized to the salesman. He said that I obviously knew how to drive stick and that he had had times where he made the person pull over after half a block and HE would drive the car back to the dealer!

Last edited by S Folinsky; Mar 24th 2010 at 2:40 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 2:43 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

And there are other driving hazards in the Seattle area.

Wanker.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Wanker.
Our neighbor, who is a WA State trooper, pulled over a motorcycle a few blocks away from our homes, in a residential neighborhood, going 90mph! Gave the guy (who was flipping 29 years old!) a reckless driving ticket, which is a criminal offense rather than just a fine.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 4:22 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Wanker.
No kidding. http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911...ves/199242.asp

Not a wanker though.

EDIT: Look at this dumbass! Everybody knows the werewolves are over in Forks! http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911...ves/199230.asp

Last edited by another bloody yank; Mar 24th 2010 at 4:25 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 5:27 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Wanker.
I was reading about this last night - 150mph on the 520 - WOW, that is CRAZYYYYYY!! pleased they caught up with him!
Old Mar 24th 2010, 7:16 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

It's stories from the PI like the few just above that make me regret that it was the paper PI that went titsup, not the Seattle Times...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.