Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Scared of driving in the US

Scared of driving in the US

Old Mar 23rd 2010, 5:00 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scared of driving in the US

I was a bit worried when we first got here, but the thought of being stuck in an apartment whilst hubby was at work soon got me out and about, driving an automatic is way easier and I don't even notice which side of the road I am on now - I just use both at random!!!!

PS: I still sometimes go to get in the wrong side and also sometimes I try to change gear with the door handle (doesn't work though)!!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

bostonbound will become famous soon enough

Hi Karen

I was feeling exactly the same as you but it is much easier than the thought of doing it. I have only been driving for 3 weeks but it is getting better the more I do it. First things first, get yourself a Sat Nav and then you wont get lost! The first time I tried, my husband and I had an argument but he made me more nervous so I was relieved when he had gone back to work, the kids were at school and I could just go out and practice.

They drive really slowly here compared to the UK so that helps! Also, just be prepared for people pulling out in front of you - it seems to be the norm but if you are driving slowly anyway it's not a problem.

I am always happy when I come to a junction and there is somebody in front of me because then I can follow them! The road signs and markings aren't always clear and sometimes they have big signs saying 'wrong way' so that helps

As long as I concentrate and am alert at all times, it's fine - that means no music for me for a while. The main problem I am having is my road positioning - I can't seem to keep the car out of the gutter or the middle of the road, hence the spouse arguments!

I have not driven in a city yet but then back home I would never drive into London so I don't see why I would ever do it here.

And like others have said - turning right on a red is the best thing ever and the UK should bring that rule into force!

Good luck!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 5:16 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
For example, here in Seattle, if you're driving on the freeway
hey you have forgotten the other Washington State rule. Pick a lane preferable either the left or middle one and stick in that lane driving at least 5mph below the speed limit regardless of how much traffic is behind you trying to get past.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 5:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
hey you have forgotten the other Washington State rule. Pick a lane preferable either the left or middle one and stick in that lane driving at least 5mph below the speed limit regardless of how much traffic is behind you trying to get past.
That's what a neighbour of mine once said about her husband's driving. He infuriated her when he kept changing lanes...'why can't he just pick a lane and stay in it?'
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 5:20 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

I've never really liked driving (here or in Britain), bit of a phobia for me, but I can't get by without driving, so I just take a deep breath, suck a mint, and plonk some good music in.
Driving an automatic is actually a piece of cake, you'll pick it up really easily. Driving on the "other side" also comes really naturally. If it helps, definitely take some lessons, or start out on some quieter roads. Also get yourself a GPS. You'll be just fine, honestly!
Naomi.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 5:24 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Right, that is definitely observed on I-5 between Seattle and Portland.

Sometimes I think a front-mounted Browning M3 .50 should be permissible...
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I was a bit nervous too about driving over here but I got over it quickly. My husband drove us to a big carpark, there are lots around, on a Sunday morning and I practiced stopping, starting and parking. I did occasionally put my left foot out for clutch and hand out to change gears but that went away quickly. The biggest issue I had was going from driving a little Corsa to a minivan! It was like driving a tank at first but now I am fine. My only problem now is that the sat nav lady doesn't like me and keeps getting me lost.

Last edited by SarahG; Mar 23rd 2010 at 6:02 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
However, parts of the US do differ -- when one daughter was in school in Cambridge, she told me that one had to forget "defensive driving" and practice "offensive driving." She may have been right. However, driving in Boston on the right side of the road was harder for me than driving in Cornwall on the left side!
driving in Boston is a bit of a warzone
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:09 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Round abouts are also easy here, whoever has the biggest car has first priority, if they're about the same, close your eyes and gun the accelerator.
I agree that they are very easy in the US -- for the most part, they don't exist. I think that they are good idea.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

Lane discipline appears to vary between the states, my wife told me on Sunday Maryland drivers are taught in driving lessons to overtake on both sides of a slower vehicle in the center lane. Not much fun if you're unsure if a right lane is actually an exit lane
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:19 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that they are very easy in the US -- for the most part, they don't exist. I think that they are good idea.
WSDOT is being fairly aggressive in putting roundabouts in King County, and it's making a BIG difference. Highly recommended!

I remember then being in the Princeton area of NJ in 1989, but apart from that I don't remember seeing then anywhere else until around 2005 in Sammamish.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:22 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bostonbound
They drive really slowly here compared to the UK so that helps! Also, just be prepared for people pulling out in front of you - it seems to be the norm but if you are driving slowly anyway it's not a problem.

The road signs and markings aren't always clear and sometimes they have big signs saying 'wrong way' so that helps

As long as I concentrate and am alert at all times, it's fine - that means no music for me for a while. The main problem I am having is my road positioning - I can't seem to keep the car out of the gutter or the middle of the road, hence the spouse arguments!

I have not driven in a city yet but then back home I would never drive into London so I don't see why I would ever do it here.

And like others have said - turning right on a red is the best thing ever and the UK should bring that rule into force!
Hi:

The quality of signage varies widely in the US. Los Angeles is particularly good -- they have been working on it for decades. Other parts of CA are not good. I should get a GPS navigation device.

I had trouble with positioning when I first learned to drive. But I was taught the trick of driving towards the center of the road on the horizon. It seemed to work.

Turing on a red light. That started in California and for a long time was a national joke [The only good thing about California is ...]. However, at least in CA, you must come to a complete stop, and if anyone is in the cross-walk [equivalent of UK zebras], even if walking away from you -- don't go. It took a long time for that rule to come into common use in the US.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:27 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Right, that is definitely observed on I-5 between Seattle and Portland.

Sometimes I think a front-mounted Browning M3 .50 should be permissible...
I keep wanting a Phaser or Photon Torpedo myself. However, there was an item on NPR's "All Things Considered" the other day -- a commentary on the image of Prius drivers has now changed -- they have gone from being staid and boring and are now considered adventursome, living on the edge and chick magnets. One big change noted was that when people saw you in their rear view mirror -- they got out of the way!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

I keep wanting a Phaser or Photon Torpedo myself. However, there was an item on NPR's "All Things Considered" the other day -- a commentary on the image of Prius drivers has now changed -- they have gone from being staid and boring and are now considered adventursome, living on the edge and chick magnets. One big change noted was that when people saw you in their rear view mirror -- they got out of the way!
You just need to drive a (re-called) toyota, you would be amazed at how fast people get out of my way when they see my Prius in their rear view mirror!!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:27 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mellybrown
I really wouldnt worry - once you have done it a few times its easy as pie! The written test is a joke, as is the road test! Ask anyone on here who has actually done it and they will tell you the same!

Turning right on a red is the best idea ever btw

And you dont HAVE to drive an automatic!!!
Well, she probably will have to drive an automatic... although you can buy a manual shift car easily enough, I think almost all rentals are automatic. And I think according to her initial post, they are coming for a visit at first so renting a car.

So how about overcoming that part of the problem while still in the UK -- becoming familiar with driving an automatic at home, possibly driving one belonging to a friend or something?

I concur with what others have said .. both driving on the right & driving an automatic are no big deal, you'll be fine after a few minutes experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.