View Poll Results: What is your income level?
$0 - $25,000
7.46%
$25,000 - $50,000
19.40%
$50,000 - $75,000
28.36%
$75,000 - $100,000
17.91%
$100,000 - $200,000
20.90%
>$200,000
5.97%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Salary?

Old Jun 9th 2004, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jan_michigan
I didnt embellish either ... hubby earns $42K / year working for the local indian tribe and i earn a measly $8 / hour for hotel work ... all in all it comes to about 50K. Its enough to live on, we just about manage to pay extortionate property taxes and car insurances and until something better than $8/hr comes along its our lot.
The only way is up

Jan
Yes I agree that is the attitude to have, I can only go up because I have been at the bottom.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 7:48 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

I put hubbies salary on. Hope that was OK.

I agree with the comments regarding the issue of where you live. This type of survey, while interesting, doesn't really work because people can have the same job in different states and earn totally different amounts (not just a few thousand different but 10 or 20 thousand different easily) and yet have exactly the same lifestyle, even a better lifestyle in the state with a lower salary expectation.

Even down to jan mentioning property tax. Property tax not only in one state can be very different to the property tax in another but even going from county to county within states.

It would be no different to trying to compare salaries in the UK in a lot of ways - would you compare a salary in Doncaster working as a secretary to a job in London as a secretary, then not take into account the property tax of both? I know I wouldn't.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 7:57 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

You're all correct. It's un-scientific, inaccurate and probably just downright wrong...

...but you're all discussing it, and the poll results seem pretty interesting whether or not they're of any value.

Old Jun 9th 2004, 8:04 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dbj1000
You're all correct. It's un-scientific, inaccurate and probably just downright wrong...

...but you're all discussing it, and the poll results seem pretty interesting whether or not they're of any value.

... and I wouldn't be surprised if some people are telling porkies too!
Old Jun 9th 2004, 8:16 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Originally posted by NC Penguin
... and I wouldn't be surprised if some people are telling porkies too!
Not that it really matters, I mean, if we were actually performing a scientific study, we wouldn't be doing very well on a study size of 40 people (so far)

what I'm interested to find out is why the gap at 75,000 to 100,000? is there some sort of tax issue heer that holds people below 75 or pushes them over 100 (or is this just a peculiarity of the people on this site?)
Old Jun 9th 2004, 8:37 pm
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Chopper-Chris
Not that it really matters, I mean, if we were actually performing a scientific study, we wouldn't be doing very well on a study size of 40 people (so far)

what I'm interested to find out is why the gap at 75,000 to 100,000? is there some sort of tax issue heer that holds people below 75 or pushes them over 100 (or is this just a peculiarity of the people on this site?)

They're the ones in marketing and the like so cannot help but double their figure before reporting it, so the category stays empty
Old Jun 9th 2004, 9:25 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Originally posted by monster
They're the ones in marketing and the like so cannot help but double their figure before reporting it, so the category stays empty
and who's the joker on 200+?

lend us all a tenner
Old Jun 9th 2004, 9:36 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by veryfunny
I cannot believe this but I am actually agreeing with the 2 conservatives on this board.

Very scarry thing that is
I would sit down til it passes off, if I were you.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
I would sit down til it passes off, if I were you.
Which I did, now I am over it. Gee, that was a real close one.
Old Jun 10th 2004, 1:03 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Well so far my un-scientific analysis of this un-scientific poll is that we BritExpats are over-paid, on average

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average US salary was $36,764 in 2002.

I'm assuming that most people posted personal, rather than joint income. I'm also assuming that you didn't all lie. Both assumptions may be wrong!
Old Jun 10th 2004, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Our income in the US last year was $150,000+, however we were living in California where this amount is insignificant. Yes we had a reasonable standard of living, but there was absolutely no hope that we would be able to afford to buy a house for $600,000+. Our rent was $2100 a month, add in the state taxes (up to 9.4%), throw in the $540 a month for health care plus another $180 for medical costs and it soon starts looking smaller and smaller.
Old Jun 10th 2004, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

gotta agree with that one Vicki, the costs in the LA area for EVERYTHING soon whittle down what looks like a high salary.

Old Jun 10th 2004, 1:38 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Originally posted by dbj1000
Well so far my un-scientific analysis of this un-scientific poll is that we BritExpats are over-paid, on average

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average US salary was $36,764 in 2002.

I'm assuming that most people posted personal, rather than joint income. I'm also assuming that you didn't all lie. Both assumptions may be wrong!
But surely we are more highly qualified, on average, than your average salary earner, seeing as how a proportion of us were shipped over for work because of our exceptional skills.

...And for those who weren't, how many utter dipsticks manage to get themselves in a situation where they can meet and get on with a USC, and negotaite the immigration minefield? It takes a good deal of common sense and intelligence to get over here that way, so even those of us without many formal qualifications stand a chance of getting higher salaries than your average Joe.
Old Jun 10th 2004, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

true enough.
Old Jun 10th 2004, 1:59 am
Arrogant ****

Originally posted by monster
But surely we are more highly qualified, on average, than your average salary earner, seeing as how a proportion of us were shipped over for work because of our exceptional skills.

...And for those who weren't, how many utter dipsticks manage to get themselves in a situation where they can meet and get on with a USC, and negotaite the immigration minefield? It takes a good deal of common sense and intelligence to get over here that way, so even those of us without many formal qualifications stand a chance of getting higher salaries than your average Joe.
I couldn't agree more Monster. My "overpaid" comment was sarcasm (for which there doesn't seem to be an emoticon).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.