View Poll Results: What is your income level?
$0 - $25,000
7.46%
$25,000 - $50,000
19.40%
$50,000 - $75,000
28.36%
$75,000 - $100,000
17.91%
$100,000 - $200,000
20.90%
>$200,000
5.97%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Salary?

Old Jun 9th 2004, 2:50 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Salary is defintely secondary to happiness at work.

Although it is a myth that pilots (except commercial airline) get paid well, we don't do that bad really, starting wage for a 1000+ hour helicopter pilot in the NYC area is around 75 - 85K but bear in mind that in order to get a commerical helicopter license, you have to jump through the following hoops...

Private License - about 15-18K
Commercial License - about another 25 - 30K

That'll give you in the region of 250 hours PIC (pilot in command) as a maximum...

but before you can go on to get a job flying...especially tourists...you'll need to build your PIC hours up to around the thousand mark...so...

750 hours of flying at around 100 - 120 per hour? I make that about another 75,000K

but some people hours build by flying low paid surveying and corporate work on contract to different operators...you can expect about 35 - 40K per year at the most and it'll still take you a couple of years at least to build your hours, or you could try your habd at instructing others. Instructor rating would cost you another 5-8K and the wages are also low for flight instructors...plus, if you don't fly, you don't get paid, as most instructors are paid for flight time only.

So next time you meet a pilot...give him a tenner, he'll probably be very happy in what he's doing but he'll most likely be paying off a loan that rivals most mortgages.

Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:19 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Chopper-Chris

So next time you meet a pilot...give him a tenner,
Well where do you pilots hang out?

Apart from the airport I mean.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:42 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Salary?

Originally posted by dbj1000
In typical style you have to comment, eh Gross? No, I cannot break it down into two groups.

there's no comparison btn someone earning 105K and say 190K. that was my point.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:43 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Originally posted by Lion in Winter

Those commonly known as chopper pilots, (Rotorous spinninus) can be generally spotted in their natural environment (when in the UK) in small country pubs, especially on a river or canal and tend to prefer the warm summer nights. Commonly seen cradling a nice pint of extra cold Guinness and will respond well when one is offered.

Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:44 pm
dealing with it

Originally posted by Gross50
there's no comparison btn someone earning 105K and say 190K. that was my point.
the comparison is that they are both being paid too much

only joking
Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:46 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Those commonly known as chopper pilots, (Rotorous spinninus) can be generally spotted in their natural environment (when in the UK) in small country pubs, especially on a river or canal and tend to prefer the warm summer nights. Commonly seen cradling a nice pint of extra cold Guinness and will respond well when one is offered.

Ooh, I'm packing.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:48 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by manc1976
Alright,
in my first full year of being here and working my wife and I cleared $15,000 (by god were we broke.)

The next year we made $26,000,last year we were just shy of a joint annual income of $40,000.....upwards and onwards and all that......

So while life maybe shit now, always look upwards and onwards, because it does get better.
I have to agree very strongly. 18 years ago I started off in a foundry, earning $5.00 an hour- a hot, dirty, stinking job that I despised. I asked a lot of questions, listened, took all the overtime I could, learned other jobs in the place, and became first a lead man, then a supervisor, then general supervisor... and finally moved to another company in a more technical position. Again, asked a lot of questions, took night school classes, and busted my butt.

I have had to move several times, each time moving up to a better position at a new company. Even lay-offs (whicch seemed the darkes hour at the time) led to better positions at other companies, and in the end turned out great.

Just because one does not make $75K as a entry level employee does not mean that in 5 years you won't. In most places opportunity is what YOU make of it.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:48 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Lion in Winter

I met mine at the airport!
Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:50 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

What type of flying do you do Chris? Understand Helos, but what is the cargo...VIP's, tourists, contraband cigs to Canada...?
Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:51 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ironporer
What type of flying do you do Chris? Understand Helos, but what is the cargo...VIP's, tourists, contraband drugs from Canada...?
Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:53 pm

Ah, the strong, silent type.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:54 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

read again dozy........
Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:54 pm
Maño-Americano

Hey, thas not fair!!! Funny, but not fair. I feel soooo violated
Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dbj1000
I know that most Brits will find this in the depths of poor taste, discussing money in public, but what the hell.

In another thread they're discussing whether people on this board are making more or less money than might be expected. Let's see, shall we?
Most rich Brits will not bother with this.
As you probably already know, boasting/talking about money is not very British.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:55 pm

read again dozy........
Ah, right, got it. Now where's me coffee..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.