Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Price of gas update...

Price of gas update...

Old Sep 17th 2015, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price of gas update...

$1.93 this morning in Land O Lakes.

The only thing I keep thinking is, when the prices rebound it's really going to hurt.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 2:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord PercyPercy
..... The only thing I keep thinking is, when the prices rebound it's really going to hurt.
A report from Goldman Sachs today predicts that the oil glut is going to last fifteen years and could see oil selling at $20/barrel.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 17th 2015 at 3:17 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
A report from Goldman Sachs today predicts that the oil glut is going to last fifteen years and could see oil selling at $20/barrel.
I still remember being told that there would be no oil past 2020 in school (I'm not suggesting btw that depletion of the worlds oil reserves is not happening - merely that their estimations seem a little off.)
Old Sep 17th 2015, 3:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord PercyPercy
I still remember being told that there would be no oil past 2020 in school (I'm not suggesting btw that depletion of the worlds oil reserves is not happening - merely that their estimations seem a little off.)
Yeah, I remember that. I don't think anyone is prepared to predict when oil will run out now. The last I heard was that Venezuela has more oil reserves than Saudi Arabia, and there is probably more oil under Sussex than there was in the North Sea.

IIRC about 7-8 years ago an economist wrote that the end of the "oil age" would be marked not by scarcity and prices of $200+/barrel but by a collapse in the price of oil and oil fields not being economic to develop. It looks like he might be right.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 3:30 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I remember that. I don't think anyone is prepared to predict when oil will run out now. The last I heard was that Venezuela has more oil reserves than Saudi Arabia, and there is probably more oil under Sussex than there was in the North Sea.

IIRC about 7-8 years ago an economist wrote that the end of the "oil age" would be marked not by scarcity and prices of $200+/barrel but by a collapse in the price of oil and oil fields not being economic to develop. It looks like he might be right.
Meh on all of that. 7-8 years ago unconventional oil didn't exist as a concept.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Every year, analysts write that the oil price will go up, down or stay the same. Many of them tend to under-react to changes, then over-react to changes.

While no-one can truly predict what the oil price will do, it seems unlikely that oil will sit at $20/bbl for fifteen years. This is because unconventionals (mostly shale oil and gas) are both quicker to develop and quicker to decline than offshore conventionals. This means that the feedback between oil price and supply should be quicker now than in the past.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 3:39 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair to Goldman they aren't predicting a prolonged period of $20, just raising the spectre of it. I wonder why, what do they gain.

Saudi are estimated to be burning through more that $12bn a month. Their cash balance was around $700bn. They can weather this for a while, but 95% of their economy is driven by oil revenues.

U.S. Production has started to turn now - people are focusing on balance sheet strength rather than production growth.

Oh, I've just seen the GS prediction has a <50% probability of $20 attached to it. Headline grabbing. Again, why?
Old Sep 17th 2015, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and to address this paragraph directly: Venezuelan heavy oil is only economic at very high oil prices. And, as far as I know, the potential unconventional oil under The Weald is still only hypothetical, plus a claim like that could only come as a high end possibility, from a company looking for investors. It is unlikely.

Neither of these comments are in any way consistent with the "end of oil" coming when the price is too low to develop anything. The only way that would happen is discovering a cheap method to create synthetic oil.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
To be fair to Goldman they aren't predicting a prolonged period of $20, just raising the spectre of it. I wonder why, what do they gain.

Saudi are estimated to be burning through more that $12bn a month. Their cash balance was around $700bn. They can weather this for a while, but 95% of their economy is driven by oil revenues.

U.S. Production has started to turn now - people are focusing on balance sheet strength rather than production growth.

Oh, I've just seen the GS prediction has a <50% probability of $20 attached to it. Headline grabbing. Again, why?
Maybe Goldman just included 20% in their range, because they were caught out by the size of the big drop and how long it's lasted and now want to fully capture the volatility? And the headlines themselves come from the financial news sites picking up on that?
Old Sep 18th 2015, 10:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Finally, we had a drop in price.

Cheapest place is now $2.07G for the cheap stuff.
Old Sep 19th 2015, 1:10 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Finally, we had a drop in price.

Cheapest place is now $2.07G for the cheap stuff.
$3.09 cash price near me.

My sister in law believes it's so cheap now she may as well fill up with premium octane .
Old Sep 19th 2015, 1:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Wed say it drop to 1.07/liter.

80 miles away it drops even further to 0.95 cents per liter range.

After the exchange rate is accounted for, about 3.08 USD$ per gallon.
It went back up to 1.11/liter for today, they simply cannot make up their mind. Up and down up and down.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 1:37 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

$1.77 today. Went and test rode an electric motorcycle and the economics of it don't make it look like a purchase at these prices.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
$1.77 today. .....
I don't need to tell you what I paid today.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 3:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky folks down there with such cheap gas....

2.25 to 2.69 along the border on the US side.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.