British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

lisa67 Mar 4th 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Just called the careline for the second time (was told to call if I hadn't received them by today with my case number)
Was told that they're still waiting to be printed and then the nice scottish lady started jabbering on and on about the dates I'd sent, the snow etc. etc...not giving me any new information, but keeping me on the line for quite a long time until in the end I interrupted her and told I'd call back on Monday with my travel details.....hmm....am I being cynical about this "care"line :rolleyes:

Jscl Mar 4th 2010 8:26 pm

The Embassy has charged my credit card! So at least I am a bit further on. So my timeline is:

Feb 9th (day before the storm): Renewal Application received at Embassy
Mar 4th (Day 23): CC charged

Luton74 Mar 4th 2010 10:42 pm

G'day everyone, my first post to the forum. What better way to start then to add my two pence about my passport renewal so far. Posted 12 Jan by UPS Ground, received 19 Jan.(i was in no rush to get it there because i assumed it would be quick). My money order for $225.80(the extra for insurance) was cashed on 29 Jan., and guess what as of today NOTHING! I was suppose to travel on 15 March however i do not see that happening.

Lady K Mar 5th 2010 3:31 pm

Ugh. Reading of this is making me feel dreadful. I was really hoping it would only take the five weeks mentioned on the website.
My father was born in England in 1954 and didn't become a Canadian citizen until 1973. He had a British passport that expired in 1981 which he never renewed. Due to the fact that it was an old 'blue' passport, he had to apply as a first time applicant.
I have called careline about 6 times in the last 3 months trying to make sure I have everything in order; birth certificates, marriage certificates ect.
It is also my first time applying for my British passport as I was born in Canada.
Our applications were sent in together.
Please tell me it doesn't really take 12 weeks! I'm planning on traveling in May with the intention of working in Europe for the summer months.

My timeline begins:
Febuary 25th - Application signed for in Washington.

bugman Mar 5th 2010 5:22 pm

quick question.

can i assume that photographs can be countersigned by somebody in the USA?

the Uk site does mention needs to have a british passport number but i guess its different rules for passports renewed abroad.

lansbury Mar 5th 2010 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by bugman (Post 8396817)
quick question.

can i assume that photographs can be countersigned by somebody in the USA?

the Uk site does mention needs to have a british passport number but i guess its different rules for passports renewed abroad.

Yes someone in the US who meets the criteria for time they have known you and are of suitable standing.

Lady K Mar 5th 2010 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by jewels391234 (Post 8389308)
Hey everyone
Just want to give a bit of an update. After almost 5 months and 6 calls to the Careline I finally got a call back from Washington about my passport. I dont know why they waited so long to contact Washington. 3 months after applying for my passport you would think I would have got someone to call me. The Careline is just a money grab as far as I am concerned because they did absolutely nothing for me til now.
Canadian passports are issued 1 to 2 weeks after they recieve the application and you dont pay to call someone to find out info.
It cost me almost 70 dollars to call England and now they get Washington to call me???
Well my point is everyone be forewarned...Dont assume your passport will be processed and delivered in 4 weeks ... That isnt always the case. Some do ,some dont.
Hopefully I will get my passport by the 6 month mark lol

That is insane! 5 months since they received your application?
There has to be a faster way. I am also applying for my first passport out of Toronto. Is there no email inquiry to Washington? I can't have those kind of delays as I am traveling in May.

ian-mstm Mar 5th 2010 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Lady K (Post 8397036)
There has to be a faster way.

There is... return to the UK and renew it there. While it's certainly not convenient, it is much faster.

Ian

lostinmex Mar 5th 2010 8:49 pm

Hi Everyone,

Mr UPS just dropped off my daughters passports :eek:

I applied for one childs renewal and one childs first-time passport.

The time frame:

Our application arrives in Washington 19th Jan.
Credit card debited 4th Feb.
New passports delivered 5th March.

Hope you all get your passports on time. :fingerscrossed:

Jscl Mar 5th 2010 9:30 pm

That's great LostinMex, what a relief! Not good news for me though, if I applied that timeline to me my passport wouldn't be back before my flight :(.

mcurrie Mar 5th 2010 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by mcurrie (Post 8391895)
Dean Please Help
I mailed my daughters British Passport Application on the 7 January. It was signed for on the 13 January. Money taken out on the 26 January. I'm leaving on a trip to see family on the 17 March 2010 and I'm really getting worried about not receiving my Passport back in time. I sent my passport as varification that i'm a British Citizen. I was unaware that it would take longer than 4 weeks.
Please is there anything you can do?

mcurrie

Got passport back. :)

kinghuang Mar 5th 2010 9:39 pm

Great to hear about people getting their passports! I'm still waiting for my credit card to be charged.

Luton74 Mar 5th 2010 10:33 pm

Maybe they should work on saturdays to try and clear some of the applications?

Zonie Mar 5th 2010 10:50 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Luton74 (Post 8397706)
Maybe they should work on saturdays to try and clear some of the applications?

Luton74 Mar 5th 2010 10:53 pm

Yeah, your probably right mate, what was i thinking.