British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

lansbury Feb 25th 2010 3:42 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by lostinmex (Post 8374605)

What if you only had the right to one passport and it was stuck in the mill whilst one of your close relatives passed away in th U.K., I bet you wouldn't be too happy at missing the funeral.

As Ian says there are other options for emergency travel.

lisa67 Feb 25th 2010 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 8374580)
1) That wouldn't happen, because I have never let any of my 3 passports expire or get close to expiring... specifically because of unforeseen circumstances; and 2) there are remedies available other than a passport for emergency travel.

It sucks that this has happened to you and the others, but is the Embassy really to blame because y'all didn't renew soon enough? An emergency on your part does not constitute one on theirs.

Ian

Well lucky you Ian...in our case we needed the passports over the Christmas period for travel and then our next travel date (in March) had to be booked in advance as it's Spring Break....we sent the pps off for renewal as soon as we came back from our Christmas trip...no other way to do it.
I agree with the others on the board that we pay enough $$$ to get this sorted out in a timely manner.:curse:

lostinmex Feb 25th 2010 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 8374700)
As Ian says there are other options for emergency travel.

I wouldn't count your chickens even using them for emergency travel.

lansbury Feb 25th 2010 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by lostinmex (Post 8374724)
I wouldn't count your chickens even using them for emergency travel.

Why? emergency travel documents are handled at local Embassies and Consulates.

Zonie Feb 25th 2010 4:04 pm

For what it's worth here's my advice to anyone with a passport. When it gets to within 9 months of expiry start the renewal process, that 9 months will be added to the new passport expiry date. If you have a trip near the beginning of that 9 months it should still leave plenty of time for renewal after the trip.

The above process would help negate the lousy, expensive and time consuming exercise that is the renewal of a British passport in the USA. It's typical of what I remember of British customer service.

redbarn99 Feb 25th 2010 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by redbarn99 (Post 8369590)
My Daughter's passport renewal was sent January14th. It was received and signed for in Washington January 15th. Payment was made by cashier's check and todate we have still not received the passport. I will post as soon as we receive it.

It has now been six weeks since my Daughter's passport application was received in Washington. This was just a renewal.

Dean Can you help?

My Daughter needs her passport to register her Son's birth before he turns 18.

Bob Feb 25th 2010 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by lostinmex (Post 8374605)
... I bet you wouldn't be too happy at missing the funeral.

that's a different situation entirely though, and you'd be able to get an emergency travel document for that kind of situation.

Bob Feb 25th 2010 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 8374712)
Well lucky you Ian...in our case we needed the passports over the Christmas period for travel and then our next travel date (in March) had to be booked in advance as it's Spring Break....we sent the pps off for renewal as soon as we came back from our Christmas trip...no other way to do it.
I agree with the others on the board that we pay enough $$$ to get this sorted out in a timely manner.:curse:

Why didn't you renew them in the UK with same day service?

British Consul Feb 26th 2010 12:28 am

Originally Posted by redbarn99 (Post 8375564)
It has now been six weeks since my Daughter's passport application was received in Washington. This was just a renewal.

Dean Can you help?

When does he turn 18?

Dean

redbarn99 Feb 26th 2010 12:36 am

His birthday is March 12, 2010

redbarn99 Feb 26th 2010 12:38 am

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 8375950)
When does he turn 18?

Dean

He will be 18 on March 12th, 2010

meauxna Feb 26th 2010 12:44 am

Originally Posted by redbarn99 (Post 8375564)

Wouldn't her birth certificate do the job?
Or other proof of her citizenship?

lisa67 Feb 26th 2010 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 8375870)
Why didn't you renew them in the UK with same day service?

we didn't go to the uk!
but I'm beginning to wish I'd sent them to my Mum to renew!

It's only the kids passports, so if they don't come back in time for our trip I'll send them to Washington to work as interns at the Embassy (they both have EADs!!) ;)

redbarn99 Feb 26th 2010 1:10 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8375989)
Wouldn't her birth certificate do the job?
Or other proof of her citizenship?

No, the application form says that you need a current UK passport as well as a UK birth certificate.

zargof Feb 26th 2010 1:12 am

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 8376057)
we didn't go to the uk!
but I'm beginning to wish I'd sent them to my Mum to renew!

It's only the kids passports, so if they don't come back in time for our trip I'll send them to Washington to work as interns at the Embassy (they both have EADs!!) ;)

Have you told the Embassy this? I'm sure it would encourage them to speed things up a bit. ;)