British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

Jesse923 Apr 15th 2010 4:15 am

Re: Passport Delays
 
Yeah, I was actually quite surprised that I received my passport on the first go (even though it took nearly two months) - of course all my documents are legitimate and I am a British Citizen but after reading other threads I thought mine would be sent back for more documents since I got my original birth certificate in 2006 (certified copy)... one of the other threads said they wanted the actual physical one you received three months within birth (which in my case, my parents didnt even receive a certified copy - the original is always kept in the registrar - until 2 years later! My birth was registered 8 days after my birth though).

I expected to have to deal with this difficulty but I guess I lucked out or perhaps the nitpickers at the embassy have moved onto other positions...

dottypotty Apr 15th 2010 6:40 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
You can never tell. I received my three renewals in less than 4 weeks. I was concerned as my 16 year old should have signed his own passport application, but is unable to do so. Even though the letter from the doctor stated his condition and confirmed that he couldn't meet the biometric photo requirements, he didn't mention that my son was unable to sign. I was really worried that they would send it back and ask for further confirmation. Guess it just depends on who is dealing with your application.

bugman Apr 20th 2010 2:01 am

Re: Passport Delays
 
got my renewed PP, took 6 weeks in all. i really wish i'd used a better photo, i got the one that the guy took in walgreens, it is extremely unflattering and upon putting it adjacent to my last 2 PP photos it makes me go...OH NO!!

NickW Apr 20th 2010 4:24 am

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by Td0t (Post 8496825)
If they reject your application like they did mine, be prepared to wait an additional 6 weeks after you resubmit. It takes forever, but once you see the golden glimmer of European Union, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Passport, it'll all be worth it.
Hope that helps.

Ok, good to know... thanks for your reply! Yeah, they rejected it for improper countersignatory so I got new photos taken, got my dentist to countersign and sent it off again... embassy received it a week ago. Fingers crossed.

dottypotty Apr 20th 2010 1:43 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by bugman (Post 8508640)
got my renewed PP, took 6 weeks in all. i really wish i'd used a better photo, i got the one that the guy took in walgreens, it is extremely unflattering and upon putting it adjacent to my last 2 PP photos it makes me go...OH NO!!

Well, at least you don't look like Myra Hindley with long hair. My son nearly wet himself laughing when he saw the picture:eek:

hobbes79 Apr 20th 2010 9:24 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
Got my daughters through last week. Applied at the beginning of Feb. She's now "officially" a Brit :)

We were in no hurry so I didn't stress too much, but sure did take a while!

The_English_Bride Apr 21st 2010 1:20 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
So, I think I can fly home to the UK on June 4th on my current passport, but it runs out on the 16th. I should also be flying back to the US before the 16th. I'm debating what to do. I'm afraid at this point to send off for a new one in case I don't get it back in time to fly. What's the rule about having 6 months on your passport to travel - is that still correct?

I'm thinking about getting a new one using the one day service when I get to the UK, but I need to change my name because my current passport is in my maiden name. So, i'm not sure how to book my flights. Can I have my outgoing flight booked in my maiden name and my incoming flight booked in my married name? :unsure:

maggster Apr 23rd 2010 4:15 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
Passport was sent for name change and was received in Washington on 24th March - payment was taken 16th April and I have received my new passport this morning - was surprised at how fast it was processed!:)

Ozzidoc Apr 24th 2010 2:14 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride (Post 8511730)
So, I think I can fly home to the UK on June 4th on my current passport, but it runs out on the 16th. I should also be flying back to the US before the 16th. I'm debating what to do. I'm afraid at this point to send off for a new one in case I don't get it back in time to fly. What's the rule about having 6 months on your passport to travel - is that still correct?

I'm thinking about getting a new one using the one day service when I get to the UK, but I need to change my name because my current passport is in my maiden name. So, i'm not sure how to book my flights. Can I have my outgoing flight booked in my maiden name and my incoming flight booked in my married name? :unsure:

If I were you, I'd fly to the UK on your current passport and then once in the UK I'd go to Peterborough in person for the same day passport service.Yep, it's a bit of a hassle, but better than being without you PP in my opinion.


Hubby did this about 3 yrs ago.

deng890 Apr 24th 2010 11:34 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
I suggest you give the passport office a call first and see whether they'll allow you to process same day premium service. I'll be traveling to the UK soon and also plan to renew over there same day service and when I researched info on this method I noticed they said only "straight forward" renewals qualify for same day service. The passport people may not consider change of name "straight forward" and tell you to mail it in instead.



Originally Posted by The_English_Bride (Post 8511730)
So, I think I can fly home to the UK on June 4th on my current passport, but it runs out on the 16th. I should also be flying back to the US before the 16th. I'm debating what to do. I'm afraid at this point to send off for a new one in case I don't get it back in time to fly. What's the rule about having 6 months on your passport to travel - is that still correct?

I'm thinking about getting a new one using the one day service when I get to the UK, but I need to change my name because my current passport is in my maiden name. So, i'm not sure how to book my flights. Can I have my outgoing flight booked in my maiden name and my incoming flight booked in my married name? :unsure:


polar_bear Apr 30th 2010 8:04 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
I applied for both my renewal and my daughter's first passport at the end of January. Got mine in March as I had to travel to the UK and they put it through urgently. However we still haven't received my daughter's and we are flying to London on Sunday (we were supposed to be going 10 days ago but it was delayed due to the volcano).

I have phoned them on four occasions now asking them to put it through urgently but I just spoke to them today and apparently the application still hasn't been looked at so we have no chance of receiving it before we leave.

Can anyone tell me if my daughter (age 1) will have problems entering the UK on her American passport? I assumed it wouldn't be a problem but my wife says dual citizens are supposed to enter each country using that country's passport?

Really disappointed that after three months we have still heard nothing, it's an absolute shambles (and reminds me why we left the UK in the first place). :frown:

Ozzidoc Apr 30th 2010 8:34 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by polar_bear (Post 8533697)
I applied for both my renewal and my daughter's first passport at the end of January. Got mine in March as I had to travel to the UK and they put it through urgently. However we still haven't received my daughter's and we are flying to London on Sunday (we were supposed to be going 10 days ago but it was delayed due to the volcano).

I have phoned them on four occasions now asking them to put it through urgently but I just spoke to them today and apparently the application still hasn't been looked at so we have no chance of receiving it before we leave.

Can anyone tell me if my daughter (age 1) will have problems entering the UK on her American passport? I assumed it wouldn't be a problem but my wife says dual citizens are supposed to enter each country using that country's passport?

Really disappointed that after three months we have still heard nothing, it's an absolute shambles (and reminds me why we left the UK in the first place). :frown:

Your daughter will have no problem entering the UK on a USPP.

polar_bear Apr 30th 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
Good stuff, thanks for that :)

SFBritCK May 5th 2010 5:31 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
Does anyone know if the escalation process through Careline actually works? We travel a week from today and don't have a passport for my son. I sent my application in March (2 months before proposed travel). They charged my ccard on April 16th so 'technically' it should arrive by the ~14th May (which is 2 days too late).......My problem is that the application 'notes' said to send 'all other passports' (it did not say to send copies) and I stupidly sent his US passport off with the application. Now I was just told by careline I should have sent a copy!

goatherder May 5th 2010 10:32 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by SFBritCK (Post 8544586)
Does anyone know if the escalation process through Careline actually works? We travel a week from today and don't have a passport for my son. I sent my application in March (2 months before proposed travel). They charged my ccard on April 16th so 'technically' it should arrive by the ~14th May (which is 2 days too late).......My problem is that the application 'notes' said to send 'all other passports' (it did not say to send copies) and I stupidly sent his US passport off with the application. Now I was just told by careline I should have sent a copy!

It hasn't worked for me yet. I fly on Sunday morning to Paris and I rang them 7 days before departure (last Thursday) and again this morning. Heard nothing yet....


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:28 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.