Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Obamacare...

Wikiposts

Obamacare...

Old Nov 17th 2014, 4:18 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obamacare...

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Another example of a rigged market:

The NFL should lose its tax-exempt status: The league is not a “nonprofit.”

NFL teams are not non-profit though.
Trade organizations are typically non-profits. In that respect, the NFL is similar to a chamber of commerce or industry-specific trade organization, it's just much better known.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 4:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Cause those high healthcare prices means money going to people they favour.
Themselves
Old Nov 17th 2014, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Non profit means they do not pay shareholders. I know people who work for non profits and do very nicely thank you.

NFL is a non profit.
You don't say.

My only point regarding my organizations non profit status was that they are required to provide a percentage of indigent care.

Michael was asking who paid for the cost of treatment for non insured individuals. Another factor of the ACA is that the Federal government are now looking more closely at hospitals and health care facilities who claim to provide indigent care in exchange for the tax exempt non profit status.

Of course some are wolves in sheeps clothing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/17/us...pagewanted=all
Old Nov 17th 2014, 5:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
You don't say.

My only point regarding my organizations non profit status was that they are required to provide a percentage of indigent care.

Michael was asking who paid for the cost of treatment for non insured individuals. Another factor of the ACA is that the Federal government are now looking more closely at hospitals and health care facilities who claim to provide indigent care in exchange for the tax exempt non profit status.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/17/us...pagewanted=all
Not exactly news however. I am sure this has come up many times.

It is certainly a very odd way of going about things. One can only assume deliberately.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
That was the same with "Medicare Advantage". When Medicare Reform was passed, there was no oversight or regulations so any insurance company could offer "Medicare Advantage" plans with reduced benefits (in the fine print) to Medicare recipients and collect a 14% subsidy above the 100% it cost the government through traditional Medicare and when people got sick and found out they really weren't covered for certain procedures, they returned to Traditional Medicare during the next open enrollment period leaving the government paying for sick people and the insurance companies paying for healthy people. ACA banned all plans that were less than 4* and reduced the subsidies and the good plans are thriving.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

OnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'll finish up all my work this week and then spend a few days getting answers to buy a policy.

To be honest a lot of the politics which have come up in the thread I have mixed feelings about- I don't think people should be having the many unproven shoulder and knee surgeries which have become for-profit routine, and I do think many of the aches and pains of aging are just part of life. That said if I get so ill I drop down in the street the law says I have to be taken to an emergency room and looked after, possibly generating a massive bill I may never pay.

I was well-off when I came to the US, and I have no debt and live frugally now I'm not. It's only been the healthcare that's been a problem for me, not just financing it but it's so complicated, and almost farcical, all these separate bills for one facility, and nonsensical charges.

I don't agree with the criteria every policy must offer either, maternity care for example- what percentage of the population needs that? It doesn't seem very democratic.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

OnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and re Medicare, I was visiting friends a week ago, they are trying to organize that and running into the same red tape- can't use the doctors/facilities they are used to, can't work out the exact charges etc. They were as frustrated as I am.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Trade organizations are typically non-profits. In that respect, the NFL is similar to a chamber of commerce or industry-specific trade organization, it's just much better known.
It's a poor analogy as the article I linked to notes. The NFL doesn't represent the "industry" of American Football as a whole, but the interests of a small group of team owners that are effectively a cartel. Their designation, like a lot of things in this country, is a result of lobbying $$$.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Nov 17th 2014 at 11:34 am.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OnwardandUpward
I don't agree with the criteria every policy must offer either, maternity care for example- what percentage of the population needs that? It doesn't seem very democratic.
I agree. But let's not focus on maternity cover, which isn't actually all that expensive.

Let's stop offering cover for cancer. THAT'S expensive. And about the same proportion of the population needs it as needs maternity coverage.

It's only democratic after all.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Because to produce insurance policies tailored to your specific requirements would be to add costs.
Insurance works best the bigger the pool is.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 12:03 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The NFL doesn't represent the "industry" of American Football as a whole
That could describe many of these organizations. Homeowners Associations, neighborhood business associations and the like have non-profit status even though they represent limited memberships.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Pregnancy is a choice. Cancer is not.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

If you are not going to cover anything that's a "choice", where would you stop? Certainly no STD would be covered. Nor would most medical care that is the result of accidents that are caused by the individual in question. Broken leg whilst playing soccer? Your choice to play soccer...

Last edited by Giantaxe; Nov 17th 2014 at 12:25 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
That could describe many of these organizations. Homeowners Associations, neighborhood business associations and the like have non-profit status even though they represent limited memberships.
Hard to describe those organizations as effective cartels.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Even with heavy smokers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.