Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The More I read, The Scarery it Becomes :(

The More I read, The Scarery it Becomes :(

Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The More I read, The Scarery it Becomes :(

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I mean as opposed to automatically being a UKC by being born in the UK which went out 25 years ago.
But many children born in the UK to non-British parents are still British,
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...United_Kingdom

And at the same time, if born outside the UK, having a British parent is not enough.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...en_Born_Abroad
Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
But many children born in the UK to non-British parents are still British,
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...United_Kingdom

And at the same time, if born outside the UK, having a British parent is not enough.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...en_Born_Abroad
Right, but citizenship can only be gained via blood regardless of the other additional factors.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Right, but citizenship can only be gained via blood regardless of the other additional factors.
But not "by blood only" ... contrary to what was stated, it often does make a difference if child is born in the UK or not.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 2:34 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You actually went over this once back in May, in the Marriage-Based Visa forum:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=669920

And the one fromn 2008 as well:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=518802

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Aug 4th 2010 at 2:37 am.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 3:19 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
From what you've said, it would be cheaper for him to stay in the UK, extend his visa, and go through the settlement process wouldn't it?

I'm trying to remember how much the Green Card process cost me - I'd say added all up it was a couple of thousand $$$? Then there was the cost of moving to the US, whcih was another few thousand.

Do you need Green Cards for the children? That will cost a lot too. Or are they registered as US citizens? How will you register the new baby as a US citizen without your husband there?

Sorry for all the questions - I appreciate you're in a difficult position, but it's worth thinking all of this through before you make big decisions...
Very sensible questions.
Also can you get permission from the other parent for your daughter to leave the UK, if this child isn't his?
I also think £500 to renew his visa is a ton cheaper than applying for you and moving everyone to the US, construction is patchy work now days, no guarantees and no safety net so no pennies here from the government like in the UK.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:51 am
Just Joined

Savanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really nice

This visa saga of what to do has been going on since I met my husband 3 years ago, cant believe we are still in this position. Anywho, I'll talk it over with him, it was just the second he heard that I would get there quicker with the k-3, he was adamant that was the one we were going for.

My husband wasnt happy in the UK for various reasons (he hated everything from their small roads to high taxes) and has been at me to move to the US for the last year, we were so bogged down here with debt and never enough money to anything other than buy food and pay bills.. we didn't have a life. When the bills would come in I would put my hands in my head in despair and he would sing the national anthem lol he always seen it as a way out for a better life. I was always reluctant because of our "safety net" here in the UK.. but when it all started to crumble here, I started to come around.. but Im petrified none the less.

To him it's all he's ever known so of course none of it scares him and he's over confident it all work out, so I'm going to take a leap of faith and go for it. His cousin has a good job with great benefits and reckons he can get him a start, so once the employment is covered we can start the ball rolling. He has a massive family all willing to do whatever they can, we wont be left to starve or ever be out on the street.

And hey, it wont be a walk in the park- it may not even work out.. but we are determined to give it a shot and if it doesn't work out, i'll just come back to the UK and he will follow.. it'll be an experience if anything else.

When he left for the UK, he was quite anti America, but after living in the UK for 2 years, he's now more patriotic than ever. We may not have much money in the US ($14 an hour job will be tight with family of 5), but I can still take my kids to great parks and the beach.. not the case here, the most we have is a glass covered area with a few swings (that are always vandalized) a slide that's used by drunk teenagers. Our hospitals are filthy, under staffed and over cramped- regardless of all the high taxes we pay. I want my family to have a better life and I will get there, it will be a rough start, but thats a price im willing to pay.

So I'm putting my faith in my husband who in turn has faith in the Lord, because at the end of the day, he ultimately decides. I'll keep u all updated, cant wait for the day when I can't header a subject with "Im off to the US!" lol

Thanks guys xxx

Just came across this:

http://www.visajourney.com/news/2010...ived-together/

Hopefully he will read this and go for the other option.

Ohh something else Im struggling to find, how much is adjustment to status once we enter the US?

Last edited by Savanna; Aug 4th 2010 at 8:21 am.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:44 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Savanna
i'll just come back to the UK
You may indeed return to the UK. However, your kids are another story.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Savanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really nice

Well I assumed since both Britain and America allow dual citizenship, there wouldn't be a problem returning with the kids? I guess this is something else I will have to look upon. Rules the out for running for president lol
Old Aug 4th 2010, 10:06 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Well I assumed since both Britain and America allow dual citizenship, there wouldn't be a problem returning with the kids? I guess this is something else I will have to look upon.
There's no problem returning with the kids provided both parents agree. If they don't, then the kids are generally stuck in the place where they are habitually resident. Seen it happen....and it ain't pleasant. Of course, nobody ever thinks it'll happen to them. But it's one more thing you'll be giving up if you make the move.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Just to point out, hospitals themselves are not that differential either country regarding cleanliness and staffing and if you het health insurance you will be paying a similar amount to use them. If you dont have insurance you will be paying considerably more in th US. It isn't the low cost of high living that is made out in the media.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Playing the devils advocate here, but...it's not really a good idea you guys relying on family in the US as a safety net, even if as you say, his Aunt has lots of money. It can get 'old' pretty quick if you have to keep asking for help. The issue of your hubby's kids (brought up earlier) is something you really do need to think about too, what if in a year or two, you are unhappy here or even with him? If he wants you to stay, (and he isn't willing to leave) or he wants his kids to stay with him, you could have a huge legal fight on your hands to get your kids back to the UK.

The reasons you are not happy in the UK are good ones, it's horrible being separated from your partner (lots of us on here, been there, done that.) If he is telling you all the good/wonderful things the US has, it can sound like a dream come true. But, the reality is, there are lots of people struggling here, unless his family are going to buy you a house, pay your health insurance, provide you with transport etc etc. your life will be just as stressful here on $14 an hour with 5 kids.

Sorry sweety, I'm not telling you not to come, obviously you will and should decide that for yourself, but you really should be thinking about all this before you get on that plane...Good luck, hope it all works out for you guys
Old Aug 4th 2010, 2:49 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Well I assumed since both Britain and America allow dual citizenship, there wouldn't be a problem returning with the kids? I guess this is something else I will have to look upon. Rules the out for running for president lol
Once you take up residence in the US for your children then the US takes precedence should you and your Dh disagree on where to live. The courts will not allow you to remove the children from the US without the other parents permission (not even for a holiday), so many Moms are stuck int the US with no family support until the kids turn 18 and can decide for themselves should their marriage go pear shaped.
Heck they won't even let you move from the state the other parent is in never mind move country.
Also you never said whether your older childs father will give permission.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 2:53 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Ohh something else Im struggling to find, how much is adjustment to status once we enter the US?
You don't adjust status once you enter, you do all the applying from the UK embassy and once you enter you are a green card holder and eligible to work. Which if your Dh is earning $14 and hour and the family is of 5 you will probably have to do and pretty sharpish too.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, we have plenty of his relatives willing to sponsor us, his aunt is pretty well off so we are prolly going to go with her as a sponsor. As for my daughter, thats all been sorted, she's good to go.. just everything else that is holding us back lol
Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Also you never said whether your older childs father will give permission.
I originally asked the question on page 1, just thought I'd help the OP out a bit.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

My husband wasnt happy in the UK for various reasons (he hated everything from their small roads to high taxes)
Those supposedly high taxes are going to pale in comparison to your likely uninsured healthcare costs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.