Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The More I read, The Scarery it Becomes :(

The More I read, The Scarery it Becomes :(

Old Aug 4th 2010, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The More I read, The Scarery it Becomes :(

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
You don't adjust status once you enter, you do all the applying from the UK embassy and once you enter you are a green card holder and eligible to work. Which if your Dh is earning $14 and hour and the family is of 5 you will probably have to do and pretty sharpish too.
If they go down the foolish K-3 route they would need to do the AOS once she arrives.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Savanna

Just came across this:

http://www.visajourney.com/news/2010...ived-together/

Hopefully he will read this and go for the other option.
That's what I was referring to in my previous post. You would waste your time and money pursuing the K3.

Ohh something else Im struggling to find, how much is adjustment to status once we enter the US?
I assume you are asking this just in case you do pursue the K3? If so, Adjustment of Status is currently $1010, but the price goes up every year.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

To him it's all he's ever known so of course none of it scares him and he's over confident it all work out, so I'm going to take a leap of faith and go for it. His cousin has a good job with great benefits and reckons he can get him a start, so once the employment is covered we can start the ball rolling. He has a massive family all willing to do whatever they can, we wont be left to starve or ever be out on the street.
The family realise what is involved being a co-financial sponsor? If they fully understand the implications, they might well not be as happy with helping out.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
You don't adjust status once you enter, you do all the applying from the UK embassy and once you enter you are a green card holder and eligible to work. Which if your Dh is earning $14 and hour and the family is of 5 you will probably have to do and pretty sharpish too.
She should if they went the K3 visa route.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 8:12 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
She should if they went the K3 visa route.
And you might get hit by a car if you dance blindfolded in the middle of the freeway during rush hour.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Don't you just hate when all you get is negative responses to something you want so badly? Sorry....

Here's more negativity....

I was just considering this and don't know if you've done it or not, it would appear your husband would need to come back to the UK to obtain US passports and filing proof of birth abroad. I've got the link, give it a look, information is the best thing you can give yourself right now. Its not exactly cheap either, both kids will cost for filing and passports, probably over $400. And it has to be done in London.

I hope it all works out for you, Savanna. It can't be easy having two kids and getting ready to have the third by yourself. I hope you have family around to help you out right now.

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new.../robirth4.html
Old Aug 5th 2010, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Savanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really nice

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Hello,

Don't you just hate when all you get is negative responses to something you want so badly? Sorry....

Here's more negativity....

I was just considering this and don't know if you've done it or not, it would appear your husband would need to come back to the UK to obtain US passports and filing proof of birth abroad. I've got the link, give it a look, information is the best thing you can give yourself right now. Its not exactly cheap either, both kids will cost for filing and passports, probably over $400. And it has to be done in London.

I hope it all works out for you, Savanna. It can't be easy having two kids and getting ready to have the third by yourself. I hope you have family around to help you out right now.

Thanks for the link, going to have a read now.
http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new.../robirth4.html
You know, that just dawned on me today *slaps forehead* with the way he has been talking, I have a feeling he wants to come back anyway, he's finding it all really tough over there and over whelmed by it all, he is only 22 at the end of the day.. we are young and inexperienced and now with this its kinda the icing on the cake.

So he was here on a 2 year spouse visa, would he apply for the same visa again?

We totally screwed the settlement up, we should have known a life in the uk test was needed before applying, then he wouldn't have any problems coming back and could apply for benefits for his family until a job becomes available.

I do have family here, but I'm still pretty much own my own.. my mum has two young kids too, so she's not in the best position to help me.. could really be doing with my husband back

I don't mind the negative, because it's just the facts of our situation. As my dad says, if I had brains I would be dangerous.

Thanks for the link, going to have a read now

Last edited by Savanna; Aug 5th 2010 at 7:19 pm. Reason: more information
Old Aug 5th 2010, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Can't you apply for benefits for the family? Especially while he's away I'd have thought you'd get quite a lot. I know when my husband moved abroad the Tax Credits people were falling over themselves to give me money...
Old Aug 5th 2010, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

You know, that just dawned on me today *slaps forehead* with the way he has been talking, I have a feeling he wants to come back anyway, he's finding it all really tough over there and over whelmed by it all, he is only 22 at the end of the day.. we are young and inexperienced and now with this its kinda the icing on the cake.

We totally screwed the settlement up, we should have known a life in the uk test was needed before applying, then he wouldn't have any problems coming back and could apply for benefits for his family until a job becomes available.

I do have family here, but I'm still pretty much own my own.. my mum has two young kids too, so she's not in the best position to help me.. could really be doing with my husband back
There are some things that you should consider, or rather needs to be clarified amongst the both of you and his family.

I would presume, reading through the threads, that your husband has been here in UK since the age 20 ? You say, he was in construction ? Some how I infer that he does not have a degree ?

Getting a $14/hr job before taxes, is probably survival wage for a young couple, but 5 mouths to feed ?

Getting a job that pays well enough and then covers family insurance, is tad more than a $14/hr salary can cover in deductibles.

Have you decided where and which city you are going to live in ? To return back now, in a down spiraling job-market requires lot of faith and chutzpah.

Sending kids to school, even a public school costs money. Unfortunately public housing in US, is pathetic at best, and you'll need to do financial planning before you start paying legal fees for filing paperwork for other things.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:12 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind the negative, because it's just the facts of our situation. As my dad says, if I had brains I would be dangerous.

Thanks for the link, going to have a read now
It'd be a lot better plan!

I get the idea you two aren't much good at paperwork. Here's what you need USA-wise for your dual citizen kids regardless of where you finally live:
* consular record of birth
* US passport
* US social security card
Get them for all of them straight after the forthcoming birth -- it's much more complicated if you try to do it later. Look for the nearest American consulate and the instruction will be under American Citizen Services.

If the law doesn't change in the meantime, males will need to register for Selective Service when they turn 18, and all USCs are required to file a US tax return.

When he gets back over there, remind him he needs to file his US tax return every year. Instructions, again, at ACS. He should also consider completing the UK immigration journey to UK citizen so you don't have immigration hassle at that end any more.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 8:57 am
Just Joined

Savanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really nice

We plan to live in Sandusky, Ohio Anuny and no, he doesn't have a degree, but really eager to go back to school, he said the pay for u to go back to school, but from what I've heard about the US, I find that hard to believe.

It'd be a lot better plan!

I get the idea you two aren't much good at paperwork. Here's what you need USA-wise for your dual citizen kids regardless of where you finally live:
* consular record of birth
* US passport
* US social security card
Get them for all of them straight after the forthcoming birth -- it's much more complicated if you try to do it later. Look for the nearest American consulate and the instruction will be under American Citizen Services.

If the law doesn't change in the meantime, males will need to register for Selective Service when they turn 18, and all USCs are required to file a US tax return.

When he gets back over there, remind him he needs to file his US tax return every year. Instructions, again, at ACS. He should also consider completing the UK immigration journey to UK citizen so you don't have immigration hassle at that end any more.
The problem with getting the kids US passports and record of birth is, he is not here in the Country. I believe both parents are needed and if anything, he would need to sign the birth cert. Not sure how to get around that one.. anyone any ideas?

Im hoping there is another solution rather than him having to come back. The Embassy didn't give any advice on that situation, just said to call the U.S. Citizen Services office.

What is the UK immigration journey to UK citizen fatbrit? is that something he should do if he decides to come back to the UK?
Old Aug 7th 2010, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

We plan to live in , Ohio Anuny and no, he doesn't have a degree, but really eager to go back to school, he said the pay for u to go back to school, but from what I've heard about the US, I find that hard to believe.
Sandusky seems to be by the Lakes, which means the weather in the Erie County is going to be harsh during the winter.

It is quite possible that he could be eligible for loans and/or combination of worker re-training program and financial packages available through the State or Federal Aid programs.

Since your husband is already in US, there is not much choice on your part but to move. How you'll will make ends meet is between you, him and his family.

With regards to health care facilities around Sandusky, there are fairly decent hospitals within the city limits. Your children could get some child support, or social security benefits through their father; I do not know how the various Ohio State programs work (I am sure some in this forum living in Ohio could chime in)

Sandusky is not exactly above Ohio's median household income level, so local level of services would vary based on taxes and revenues.

To sustain a life style above the bare basics, you would have to consider a two-income family, and whatever logistics that involves.

Good Luck !

Last edited by anuny; Aug 7th 2010 at 11:35 am.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anuny
Your children could get some child support, or social security benefits through their father;
They're only going to get child support if a court orders the father to pay his wife, if they're separated/divorced. And they're only going to get social security benefits if the father is deceased.

Savanna, I'm pretty sure that your husband has to come back to register his children's births at the embassy. I don't believe there are any easy ways around this, nor easy way (or cheap) to obtaining the correct visas for everyone. You have to do, what you have to do.....
Old Aug 7th 2010, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
They're only going to get child support if a court orders the father to pay his wife, if they're separated/divorced. And they're only going to get social security benefits if the father is deceased.
Thanks - Just goes to show how little I know about raising kids or family bonding What about children of a man below the poverty line ? Don't they have some assistance ? Anyways she & he have to look at Ohio's laws in particular.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by anuny
Thanks - Just goes to show how little I know about raising kids or family bonding What about children of a man below the poverty line ? Don't they have some assistance ? Anyways she & he have to look at Ohio's laws in particular.
They don't get assistance in the same way that they would in the UK. I find it interesting that they were just living on "pennies" over in the UK. Unless one of them go out and work, they'll be living on love over in the US and not a lot more. They do have welfare in most states, but Savanna, nor her older child, would be eligible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.