Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The More I read, The Scarery it Becomes :(

Wikiposts

The More I read, The Scarery it Becomes :(

Old Aug 3rd 2010, 5:48 am
Just Joined

Savanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really nice
Default The More I read, The Scarery it Becomes :(

Hello, been a while since I last logged on and my bid for happiness is still ongoing (feels like it will never end)

I'm a UKC married to a USC, we have 1 and a half kids together (currently pregnant) and for the last two years we have been living in the UK.. his spouse visa expired in May and for various reasons we didn't want to apply settlement here, so he went back to start the process of us moving over there- scary stuff!

What scares me the most is the health care system, do we take it for granted here in the UK! if I were single it wouldn't be a problem, but taking my kids over there into the unknown scares the living day lights outta me.

He's currently out of work since he just arrived back- we have soooo much to do. Find job, find place to live, schools and the thing that worries me the most- health insurance. I am on prescribed medication, so I would obviously need a plan that covered me for that and I just dont know where to start.

What makes it harder is my husband is very laid back and just keeps saying "dont worry about it" lol but the more I read here, the more I worry and the more the UK seems like a safer place to live in terms of falling ill.

If he finds a good job with health insurance, would it cover the whole family? anyone in a similar situation to mine? if so, what did you do about health insurance?

On top of being pregnant and left here with 2 kids and a new baby, the whole thing is a massive sore head.. so much conflicted info out there. Funny how life works, you get yourself in situations and cant help but think.. how the heck did I get here? so hard to stay positive

(is scarery even a word? lol)
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The More I read, The Scarery it Becomes :(

Originally Posted by Savanna
If he finds a good job with health insurance, would it cover the whole family?
Probably, but not necessarily. You are right to worry, healthcare costs can spiral out of control without insurance, especially when you have kids and are on routine medication.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 6:21 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Scarier. :-)

Can you wait to move until after having the baby?
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye

I was going to suggest the same thing...Health ins' here is a minefield!! At least that way, all your kids will be Brit cit's too. Good luck
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
I was going to suggest the same thing...Health ins' here is a minefield!! At least that way, all your kids will be Brit cit's too. Good luck
It won't matter where the baby is born in regards to UK citizenship since UK citizenship is passed on by blood only. It will be a darn site cheaper in the UK to be born though!
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

What makes it harder is my husband is very laid back and just keeps saying "dont worry about it" lol but the more I read here, the more I worry and the more the UK seems like a safer place to live in terms of falling ill.
Ask him how he thinks you can fund the likely costs of pregnancy/childbirth/newborn care etc if you don't have insurance. Absent a good plan, I wouldn't move over right now.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 7:09 am
Just Joined

Savanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really nice

Originally Posted by Octang Frye

Thank you. In my defense-- its not a word I use often lol

Ohh yes, Im most def having the baby here in the UK.. I couldn't have the baby there even if i wanted to, I'm due in 6 weeks and we are nowhere near ready for take-off.

I will be doing the visa process over there, so until I am issued a green card, I will be classed as visitor? not sure if it makes a difference in regards to insurance.. should prolly start shopping around and getting tooled up with info.

Also not sure if my husband can get private insurance for the whole family, because him and the two kids will be UCS and me and my eldest daughter will be visitors.. ohh its so confusing, if I dont laugh, I'll cry lol
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 7:34 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I will be doing the visa process over there,
This isn't how it works, you must start the process in the UK. Suggest that you head to the Marriage Based Visas section and read up on what you will need to do in order to move to the US. The good folks there will be very helpful to you.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Yeah, we will have to start it here and he will have to petition for me and what not, but i'll be applying for immigrant status and have my medical/interview over there.. then at least we can wait it out together.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

i'll be applying for immigrant status and have my medical/interview over there.
How?
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, we will have to start it here and he will have to petition for me and what not, but i'll be applying for immigrant status and have my medical/interview over there.. then at least we can wait it out together.
Uh, no you won't. You cannot move to the US and remain without a visa. A visa is required prior to moving here. You will require a medical and interview at the London Embassy in order to receive said visa. Sorry to burst your bubble, but you won't legally be able to live here until 8-10months after he files the I-130 for you. You better start reading up on the Spousal Visa in the wiki to understand the process.

Until the visa is approved, you can come here to visit, but you cannot stay longer than 90 days each time. And the more often your visit, the more likely you will be denied entry because Immigration Officer (IO) will believe you are trying to live here without the proper visa. And because you have a US citizen spouse, you will be twice as likely to have issues even gaining entry as a visitor because the IO will assume you are trying to circumvent the visa process - which means you will need to show documentation proving you will be returning to the UK before your 90days are up. It's not as simple as just showing up at the border and walking across.

You all have really gotten yourselves into a bit of a pickle because ideally he should have started the visa process before he left the UK. If he was resident in the UK, then he could have filed the necessary paperwork with the London consulate and the visa would have only taken about 4-5months. Instead you are looking at 8-10months. You really need to start doing your research Savannah because you have more than just health insurance to worry about - the immigration process is not quick and easy.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Aug 3rd 2010 at 8:14 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Uh, no you won't. You cannot move to the US and remain without a visa. A visa is required prior to moving here. You will require a medical and interview at the London Embassy in order to receive said visa. Sorry to burst your bubble, but you won't legally be able to live here until 8-10months after he files the I-130 for you. You better start reading up on the Spousal Visa in the wiki to understand the process.

Until the visa is approved, you can come here to visit, but you cannot stay longer than 90 days each time. And the more often your visit, the more likely you will be denied entry because Immigration Officer (IO) will believe you are trying to live here without the proper visa. And because you have a US citizen spouse, you will be twice as likely to have issues even gaining entry as a visitor because the IO will assume you are trying to circumvent the visa process - which means you will need to show documentation proving you will be returning to the UK before your 90days are up. It's not as simple as just showing up at the border and walking across.

You all have really gotten yourselves into a bit of a pickle because ideally he should have started the visa process before he left the UK. If he was resident in the UK, then he could have filed the necessary paperwork with the London consulate and the visa would have only taken about 4-5months. Instead you are looking at 8-10months. You really need to start doing your research Savannah because you have more than just health insurance to worry about - the immigration process is not quick and easy.
Wonder if he can even start the visa process without having a job? How is he going to prove he can support a wife and kids?
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 9:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If he finds a good job with health insurance, would it cover the whole family? anyone in a similar situation to mine? if so, what did you do about health insurance?
Would entirely depend on the job and the insurance. They might offer decent medical insurance, but they don't have to offer it for new employees, or they don't have to offer it to dependants till he's worked there x number of days going up to 12 months if they don't want to. Just a way a company can save money.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Wonder if he can even start the visa process without having a job? How is he going to prove he can support a wife and kids?
The only way would be with a joint sponsor. But that doesn't answer the question if he should start the process to bring them here if he doesn't have a job to support them.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

rculater will become famous soon enough

his spouse visa expired in May and for various reasons we didn't want to apply settlement here
I'm due in 6 weeks
So you found out you was preggo last Winter and he went back to US in May ?

Wow must have been serious reasons not to get hes ILR in UK.

Good luck I hope your all together soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.