Family Visa Advice

Old Mar 3rd 2008, 1:49 am
Just Joined

Savanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really nice
Default Family Visa Advice

Hello, I stumbled over this site and hope you can help me out. Ive tried emailing the embassies, but no one can seem to tell me what I want to know.

Im a ukc, and my partner is a usc, we've been together for nearly 2 years. He just recently left after being here in the uk for 6 months on a visitors visa. His intentions were to return to the us to see if he could apply for some sort of visa that would allow him to live here and work (which was unsuccessful do to rules and regulations)

But since he returned to the us, Ive found out im expecting his baby, can he apply for a visa that would allow him to live here and support us? eventually were going to live in the us, but that's not for another few years. The fiance visa if awfully expensive and I read if you have family in the uk, the visa is free of charge, but does an unborn child count as family? will he have to wait until the child is born before they will even consider him?

as you can see, Im so clueless and really worried. Any advice would be most appreciated.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Family Visa Advice

Originally Posted by Savanna
Hello, I stumbled over this site and hope you can help me out. Ive tried emailing the embassies, but no one can seem to tell me what I want to know.

Im a ukc, and my partner is a usc, we've been together for nearly 2 years. He just recently left after being here in the uk for 6 months on a visitors visa. His intentions were to return to the us to see if he could apply for some sort of visa that would allow him to live here and work (which was unsuccessful do to rules and regulations)

But since he returned to the us, Ive found out im expecting his baby, can he apply for a visa that would allow him to live here and support us? eventually were going to live in the us, but that's not for another few years. The fiance visa if awfully expensive and I read if you have family in the uk, the visa is free of charge, but does an unborn child count as family? will he have to wait until the child is born before they will even consider him?

as you can see, Im so clueless and really worried. Any advice would be most appreciated.
www.britainusa.com

It is quick, but not cheap.

I have seen it recommended that you marry in the US and he applies as a Spouse.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:12 am
Just Joined

Savanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really niceSavanna is just really nice

Hello, and thank you.

See, the thing is, Id rather not rush into getting married and with a baby on its way, we cant afford it. I would just really like to know what rights he has as a father, surly a child counts as family, but will we have to wait till the child is born?

Should we just apply for the family visa anyway, but, then if refused, its time wasted. I just don't know what to do for the best. Looks like I'll need to call one of these visa advisers.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you look on that link I gave you there is a visa for non spouses, I do not know the conditions. For some reason I think you may have to have co habited for 2 years, I may well be wrong.

If you want to move to the US at some point, you will have to marry.

I will give you a heads up, I can see the comments coming about not wishing to rush, I think you may already have.

Stay cear of advisors, if you are going to seek professional help, use a Lawyer.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

You might also want to consider the cost of the pregnancy if you do move over here while pregnant as he may not have health insurance or the kind that will cover you, or cover you while pregnant, in which case you are definitely better off staying in the UK until the baby is born. Even with insurance you can still end up paying out a few thousand from your own pocket.
A good lawyer will be able to give you an initial consultation that will not break the bank, most of the 'advisors' are over-priced and under-informed.
And yes being married would very likely make your lives a whole lot easier, and remember that you can always have a quick small thing now and have something more to your liking later on. It's the piece of paper you are after right now.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:56 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
you can always have a quick small thing now and have something more to your liking later on. .
I think she already did...
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

UK-Trinity is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Ray, you are Bad
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 4:49 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK-Trinity
Ray, you are Bad
Its what I do ...
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 4:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
lol, quite witty

It seems he can come here on a family visa if he has a child here.

Thanks for your advice guys, its appreciated.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 4:55 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Savanna
It seems he can come here on a family visa if he has a child here.
But he doesn't have a child... yet! How does the UK define "child"? Does it include an unborn child? These are things you'll need to know beforehand.

Ian
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

daisy is a jewel in the roughdaisy is a jewel in the roughdaisy is a jewel in the roughdaisy is a jewel in the roughdaisy is a jewel in the rough

Check out http://www.uk-yankee.com - they're really the people you need for immigration to the UK.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

She's trying to get to the US, which as I said could be an expensive decision while pregnant.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 5:28 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
She's trying to get to the US, which as I said could be an expensive decision while pregnant.
She's not trying to come to the USA for another few years though. Her immediate plan is for him to go to the UK to live.

Rene
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

I read the post completely the other way round!
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 5:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
But he doesn't have a child... yet! How does the UK define "child"? Does it include an unborn child? These are things you'll need to know beforehand.

Ian
Yes, he'll have to wait until the child is born before he can apply for a family visa, so he's going to come over for the birth on a 6 month visitor visa, then go back and apply for family visa with proof of the child's birth ect, ect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.