Reload this Page >

making friends

making friends

Old Jul 6th 2003, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Smesa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tim...

Originally posted by bizzie@herdesk
Thank you for the heads up on Tillamook... i'm looking forward to the visit already.. mainly because of the recommendation of the icecream... i've already picked out a Tillamook Mudslide... my mouths watering thinking about it...

as for snow.. lol.. i live in Plymouth.. it just doesn't snow here.. lol.. if it snows on Dartmoor people actually drive up to see it.. my daughter is 12 almost and has only ever been knee deep in snow once... thats soon going to change.. Dan regularly heads up to Mount Hood in the winter and apparently hes looking forward to teaching both me and my daughter how to snowboard... (*chokes with laughter*)

Its actually Hillsboro outside of Portland i'll be moving to but i never know whether people know where that is.. so i say Portland.. lol..

Bee
UK to USA

Reading your posts I can tell just how excited you are to be moving....I know Portland, Oregan was voted one of the Top 10 places to live in the US by Money mag .or something , sounds like a wonderful place to set up/ relocate. I often look at real estate in your area ( Devon) I'm just curious as to why your moving..it's so beautiful there isn't it? Regardless, I wish you the best of luck with your move ...have fun.
Old Jul 6th 2003, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

bizzie@herdesk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default *smiles*

i said it earlier in the thread...

its simple...

the man I love isn't here...

you're in Florida...

part of our plan for the future is to leave Portland and move my relocated redneck back to Lakeland...

Bee
UK to USA
Old Jul 9th 2003, 11:57 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: making friends

Originally posted by Smesa
Is anyone having trouble adapting to life in Florida as a Brit. Not wanting to let go of your roots but resenting people only noting your differences & the fact that your 'British'. I've been living here ( Florida ) for 13 years now & still have one foot in the door & one foot out. It's no wonder I can't ' settle'. I now worry that I'll feel 'different' in the UK & find myself in that grey area where I belong neither here nor there. Simply at a point where I need to embrace America as my home or just go home. I'm leaning toward the latter. Does anyone else share my conflict? It is a lot easier for immigrants to adopt the US when they have come from war torn places, or countries that offer sub standards of living but when I listen to my Cuban mother in law share her stories of life with Castro, I have nothing to compare. I don't know why I left England, I know I was young, miserable & looking for a bit of adventure & to be fair this country has afforded me the pleasure of motherhood & it's not all bad but now I can't think of any more reasons not to be home, where my family is & just be "british".
This is an interesting thread you opened Smesa. I've been here in the US 6 months now and haven't experienced any of the problems you mention. I know this place is different from the UK in some respects (better weather, more choice, bigger houses etc) and the same in others (corrupt politicians, lethargic voters, dubious healthcare - cost-wise).

I know my life is better, though I miss 'the old country' and will probably go back to visit every few years.

But I thought the whole thread was funny, what with all the fire between Mark and Patrick, and the SHOUTING from some poster whose name escapes me; apart from the poor spelling - always gets me .

I think I'll make my .sig:

Examples of proper English:
*our* house - not are house
you *are* mad - not you our mad
*their* clothes - not there clothes
*they're* here!" - not their here
the car was *there*! - not the car was their
*you're* mad! - not your mad
it's *your* go! - most people get this right

*Dons asbestos pants*

:lecture:
Old Jul 9th 2003, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ukemigrant
This is an interesting thread you opened Smesa. I've been here in the US 6 months now and haven't experienced any of the problems you mention. I know this place is different from the UK in some respects (better weather, more choice, bigger houses etc) and the same in others (corrupt politicians, lethargic voters, dubious healthcare - cost-wise).

I know my life is better, though I miss 'the old country' and will probably go back to visit every few years.

But I thought the whole thread was funny, what with all the fire between Mark and Patrick, and the SHOUTING from some poster whose name escapes me; apart from the poor spelling - always gets me .

I was feeling particularly ' woe is me' that day but i had no idea the thread would evoke such drama LOL! I appreciate the kind responses & constructive advice though. Good for you that you've settled here with no regrets & you're right about the US & UK both having their good & bad points. Sometimes though I just get so fed up with my mum being so far away , I end up thinking that everything is wrong instead of being able to isolate that one issue. By the way,your rite on about the hole speling thin jus no escuse eh?
Old Jul 10th 2003, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

kubwasana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default THE BRITS' LAMENT

Heaven's above! There's so much more to life than baked beans and butter - unless you have a severe eating disorder!
Most people nurture a hankering after their "roots" - but going back to live there for a while is usually an effective purgative.
I spent a year working in Florida and had one whale of a time.
Now I have made enough to retire comfortably or even buy a business, I'm not ALLOWED to be in the States more than three months at a time, even if I buy a home. So if you're already there, just thank your lucky stars you live in a strong, prosperous country - whatever the drawbacks - and accommodate what you consider the "shortcomings". They HAVE to be outweighed by the plusses! Were it possible to be in your shoes I'd be there like a shot rather than on this dreary, dank old island. Even our once exemplary TV is in terminal decline - no longer able to produce any new sitcoms worth mentioning. For laughs we're still re-running 8o's stuff for the umpteenth time. Otherwise it's stand-up comedians who ought to sit down, chat shows featuring largely dysfunctional families stabbing one another in the back (and sometimes in the chest!) or, worst of all, eavesdropping on the lives of "ordinary people" at home, at work or on holiday - none of which are particularly appetising. We're being turned into a nation of voyeurs. STAY AWAY! LIVE WITH THE FANTASY! COME BACK FOR SHORT PERIODS JUST TO CHARGE IT UP!

Last edited by kubwasana; Jul 10th 2003 at 10:22 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2003, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Ranjini, don't start mentioning the BUGGER word, Patrick will get all excited again.

Strange my mother use to call me a little bugger, wonder how she knew?

bizzie@herdesk, no mentioning REDNECKS. The last thread that got into the Redneck conflab, nearly ended in all out war. There was nearly an international incident between Australia & USA. Or was it South Africa.

reg. Frank R.
Old Jul 10th 2003, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: THE BRITS' LAMENT

Originally posted by kubwasana
Heaven's above! There's so much more to life than baked beans and butter - unless you have a severe eating disorder!
Most people nurture a hankering after their "roots" - but going back to live there for a while is usually an effective purgative.
I spent a year working in Florida and had one whale of a time.
Now I have made enough to retire comfortably or even buy a business, I'm not ALLOWED to be in the States more than three months at a time, even if I buy a home. So if you're already there, just thank your lucky stars you live in a strong, prosperous country - whatever the drawbacks - and accommodate what you consider the "shortcomings". They HAVE to be outweighed by the plusses! Were it possible to be in your shoes I'd be there like a shot rather than on this dreary, dank old island. Even our once exemplary TV is in terminal decline - no longer able to produce any new sitcoms worth mentioning. For laughs we're still re-running 8o's stuff for the umpteenth time. Otherwise it's stand-up comedians who ought to sit down, chat shows featuring largely dysfunctional families stabbing one another in the back (and sometimes in the chest!) or, worst of all, eavesdropping on the lives of "ordinary people" at home, at work or on holiday - none of which are particularly appetising. We're being turned into a nation of voyeurs. STAY AWAY! LIVE WITH THE FANTASY! COME BACK FOR SHORT PERIODS JUST TO CHARGE IT UP!
TV is just as bad here. The US is not as 'prosperous' as you think & it's very overcast , cloudy & wet here most of the time this time of year in Florida. It has it's good points but don't idealise it into a Utopia, sounds like you have a good set up....3 months here, perhaps in the Spring when it's glorious & hang out in the UK for the summer.
Old Jul 11th 2003, 12:12 am
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by frrussre
Ranjini, don't start mentioning the BUGGER word, Patrick will get all excited again.

Strange my mother use to call me a little bugger, wonder how she knew?

bizzie@herdesk, no mentioning REDNECKS. The last thread that got into the Redneck conflab, nearly ended in all out war. There was nearly an international incident between Australia & USA. Or was it South Africa.

reg. Frank R.
I actually LIKE wars. And so does Patrick Get some action into this otherwise hum-drum newsgroup. All this talk of vegetarianism and wildlife protection is getting a bit boring. I love wildlife as much as the next person but heck what's the point in getting all wound up about it ??? Patrick is far too quiet these days. I think all that stuff with community colleges and resumes and what not has him rather preoccupied... Pity
Old Jul 11th 2003, 1:24 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Smesa
TV is just as bad here. The US is not as 'prosperous' as you think & it's very overcast , cloudy & wet here most of the time this time of year in Florida. It has it's good points but don't idealise it into a Utopia, sounds like you have a good set up....3 months here, perhaps in the Spring when it's glorious & hang out in the UK for the summer.
Yeah but it's *warm* when it's cloudy and wet - that's called a steam room in the UK.

Give me that over low, dark, cold skies any day. I lived in Northern Ireland. I know whereof I speak...

Sam.

PS generally the UK doesn't have a Summer, just a warm period between wet, windy Spring and wet, windy Autumn....
Old Jul 11th 2003, 1:53 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by ukemigrant
Yeah but it's *warm* when it's cloudy and wet - that's called a steam room in the UK.

Give me that over low, dark, cold skies any day. I lived in Northern Ireland. I know whereof I speak...

Sam.

PS generally the UK doesn't have a Summer, just a warm period between wet, windy Spring and wet, windy Autumn....
NI only has two types of weather:

A) Raining

B) About to rain

Old Jul 11th 2003, 1:56 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

I think I'll make my .sig:

Examples of proper English:
*our* house - not are house
you *are* mad - not you our mad
*their* clothes - not there clothes
*they're* here!" - not their here
the car was *there*! - not the car was their
*you're* mad! - not your mad
it's *your* go! - most people get this right

*Dons asbestos pants*

:lecture:
Now Sam.

Yer'll have 'em all ascared a ye, a talkin' lik that but.
Old Jul 11th 2003, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Sam.

The snowbirds have got it right- spend the winter here in FL and get the hell out before Summer.
Old Jul 11th 2003, 4:14 am
Howling at the Moon

Originally posted by MrsLondon
and at least We have Easter and Christmas holidays, not 'Spring break' and 'Holidays.'
I believe that is because of the thing they have in the US commonly known as the "Seperation of Church and State".

Not because of an immigrant population.