Reload this Page >

making friends

making friends

Old Jul 3rd 2003, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

bizzie@herdesk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default lol...

NC Penguin...

i'm a terrible cook.. i usually have to use it to thicken up the gravy i made...

when I get to Portland.. the first thing i'll have to do is put all the take-aways (takeouts???) on speed dial...

the second thing is sign up for a cookery course...

Bee
UK to USA
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 3:37 pm
Here and Loving it

mark19964 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Patrick
3 interviews actually, and yeah I live in an area with hardly any Hi tech business' I am just going to sit on my ass and wait for one of them to have an opening. There are no jobs here and they are not going to hire someone with an engineering degree to sweep the streets when they can get someone didn't graduate from high school. The chances are I will leave when something better comes along.

You really don't know how much your posting pissed people off do you. You have got all defensive after people have turned on you and are now trying brown nose people by telling them "at least they have a sense of humour".

In your words - Wake up and smell the coffee, now play nice and stop taking on everyone on the NG after you have upset them.

Your obviously not a mind reader because I can't see that you have ****ed yourself.

I am happy, I have done nothing but laugh as I have written these replies to you because you don't get it.

Patrick
ok so who turned on me then, as if I care.
I was just making the point that life here (UK)shouldnt be seen through rose tinted glasses. We,ve now got legislation going through to raise the retirement age to 70 also

Exactly the same as you and others on this thread are telling me what its like there.

The difference is I dont call people "assholes" and throw my toys out the pram like you do, when someone comesback with a comment you dont like. Look at the comments you made to Ranjini, steveandlisa, darren"B" and you got the front to tell me I upset people.

As for "brown nosing" not at all, the guy made exactly the point Im trying to make and the differences between the two countries as in living and quality ,which I can see quite clearly.

As for forigners, no problem there as long as there legal and contribute to the economy - here in the UK we have lots that dont and sponge off the state at my and others expence - that was my point. I dont have a problem with any race, colour or creed. Im half Mauritian through my father.

I worked in Seattle with Hispanic / Latinos, poles, russians etc and on "boxing day" out there was sweeping snow off rose bush roots to stop them freezing in -2 c with them and having a blast.

Where as you have a fixation with "assholes" hey if thats your ticket I aint gonna punch it for you.

And social standing - your obviously old school tie brigade, didums thought you had the right to a job because mummy and daddy paid for your degree - who the hell gave you the right to a good paid job.

I shall simply sum up my feelings to you in the words of "Ace Ventura" Pet detective "LOOOOOOSSSSEEEERRRRR".

If Paul Revere had your attitude to life and liberty there wouldnt be a USA - Oh shit I cant ride this horse anymore my Ass hurts says patrick but hey screw the colonists I'll just sit here and wait !!

Goodbye Patrick you are the saddest link.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 3:39 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough
Default Re: lol...

Originally posted by bizzie@herdesk
NC Penguin...
i'm a terrible cook.. i usually have to use it to thicken up the gravy i made...
when I get to Portland.. the first thing i'll have to do is put all the take-aways (takeouts???) on speed dial...
Bee
UK to USA
Nah! You can become an expert cook by watching the Food network. Oh Wondra flour works better than cornflour. No lumps. Btw don't say cornflour in the US. They won't know what you are talking about It's corn starch. My husband would look blankly at me when when I said cornflour or minced meat. Until he found I was talking about ground meat
One more question. How can you bear to leave Plymouth??? I have been scouring the web looking at pics of Devon and Cornwall planning my dream trip to the region. Big fan of
Rosamunde Pilcher now and Daphne DuMaurier during my school days
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 3:44 pm
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: hmm..

Originally posted by RoB1833
At the moment I'm literally pigging out on bacon, gammon, sausages, flavoured crisps and anything I can think of that I won't be able to get in the US!

I've already bought Marmite (much to the horror of my wife), Coleman's mustard, Galaxy chocolate, yorkshire pudding mix and bacon flavoured crisps to take with me.
Be careful. US Customs can be very iffy about allowing foodstuffs into the country.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 3:45 pm
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: making friends

Originally posted by NC Penguin
<<snip>>

If you have issues with foreigners Mark, I think you'll get a rude awakening in NC. North Carolina has the fastest growing Hispanic/Latino population in the country. Spanish signage is not at all unusual in the Triangle. The US was built on immigration and that is still very much the case so you'll see many immigrants from the Indian subcontinent and Chinese too in the Triangle.

<<snip>>

If you think the UK has problems with its health service, you'll probably recognise the problems the US has with its healthcare too. I've read (and if I find the source, I'll post it) that 30% of the US population does not have health insurance. That's approximately 83,000 people.

<<snip>>

A saying comes to mind when I read your complete post above. "Out of the fying pan and into the fire".

NC Penguin

Surely more than 83,000!?
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 3:46 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: ugh...

:scared: i forgot about the lack of marmite...

*makes mental note...

i've actually got boxes of cornflour too.. you can't make stew without oxo cubes and cornflour...

yorkshire pudding mix???? lol.. wont eggs and flour do then ???

Bee
UK to USA

Eggs and flour?? I'm a bloke and I need the packet mix!!
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 3:50 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: hmm..

Originally posted by MrsLondon
Be careful. US Customs can be very iffy about allowing foodstuffs into the country.
I've checked the labelling on everything.... I presume you mean meat products??
Marmite is okay and bacon flavoured crisps contain....... BACON FLAVOURING!!
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

smartiegirl88 is on a distinguished road
Default can't we all get along?!

Well I thought I would come on here and catch up on the gossip...what a thread! Why is everyone so mad at one another?!

Anyhoo, just thought I would share with everyone that my culture shock is now into the 'settling in' phase. I went through the 'I want to go home' stage, the 'I can't find a damn job' stage, the 'where the hell is the public transportation' stage, the 'can't find any UK food' stage...

Now I have reached a point in my life where I feel like I can call South Carolina my home. I can drive anywhere I want, I found a good job (after a very long time as some of you may know), I get UK faves shipped every once in a while.....

I am feeling alright for the first time in 3 years of being over here. It's a really good feeling and I can finally relax! I can finally settle, and not feel like I'm just settling, if you get me

Love feeling happy! It's been a long time coming!

Last edited by smartiegirl88; Jul 3rd 2003 at 5:35 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 5:38 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

NC Penguin...

Bee
UK to USA
I'm a pretty inventive cook and have discovered a kind of flour that is a both a thickening agent and provider of the gravy colour (brown for those who don't know the colour of British gravy). It's quite easy to find in the US but not so widely available in the US.

As for Food Network, most of the shows are entertainment and quite low in the educational element about learning about cooking and associated topics. Especially Emeril!

NC Penguin
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 5:44 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by RoB1833
Hmmm..... not many people 'making friends' in this thread!
There is one person being the camels toe in the tight pants of this NG. All the rest of us our friends!
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 5:44 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by NC Penguin
As for Food Network, most of the shows are entertainment and quite low in the educational element about learning about cooking and associated topics. Especially Emeril!

NC Penguin
Definitely not Emeril Sarah Moulton's shows are educational. She's on three times everyday. Alton Brown's Good Eats. And Martha Stewart for the absolute beginner. I have learned a lot over the four year I've been in the US....
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 5:54 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ranjini
Definitely not Emeril Sarah Moulton's shows are educational. She's on three times everyday. Alton Brown's Good Eats. And Martha Stewart for the absolute beginner. I have learned a lot over the four year I've been in the US....
A

Actually, having watched many of the "cooking" shows on the Food Network and the kind of ingredients that go into recipes, I understand better why Americans are overweight, have diabetes, heart disease, high cholestrol, have a lack of fibre in the diet ...

NC Penguin
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 6:00 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mark19964
The difference is I dont call people "assholes" and throw my toys out the pram like you do, when someone comesback with a comment you dont like. Look at the comments you made to Ranjini, steveandlisa, darren"B" and you got the front to tell me I upset people.
If you have read any those other threads you will see I have never called anyone a name, I don't beleive in it as it achieves nothing - I said "you will still be the same arsehole.." semetics I know but I never called you an arse/asshole.

As for forigners, no problem there as long as there legal and contribute to the economy - here in the UK we have lots that dont and sponge off the state at my and others expence - that was my point. I dont have a problem with any race, colour or creed. Im half Mauritian through my father.

I worked in Seattle with Hispanic / Latinos, poles, russians etc and on "boxing day" out there was sweeping snow off rose bush roots to stop them freezing in -2 c with them and having a blast.
Did I mention foreigners, have you been smoking something

And social standing - your obviously old school tie brigade, didums thought you had the right to a job because mummy and daddy paid for your degree - who the hell gave you the right to a good paid job.
Not that its any of your business but Papa is a bus driver and Mata works in Etams. I left school at 16 and put myself through uni at 28 while supporting a wife. I worked as a chambermaid as one of the jobs I did to help me through so I am not adverse to cleaning up crap, I don't like taking it from people with superiority complexes though.

All this from a guy who can't get the year of his birth right in his monicker.

Patrick
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 6:09 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Default Getting OT-Re: lol... about gravy

Originally posted by Ranjini
Nah! You can become an expert cook by watching the Food network. Oh Wondra flour works better than cornflour. No lumps. Btw don't say cornflour in the US. They won't know what you are talking about It's corn starch. My husband would look blankly at me when when I said cornflour or minced meat. Until he found I was talking about ground meat
<<snip>>
I can't get hold of Wondra Flour in the Triangle (I have a friend who's been looking for it for ages). To avoid lumps when making gravy, you need to get hold of one of those tiny whisks (about 7" long. Whisk diameter at tip is less than 1/2"). I've never had lumpy gravy using such a whisk.

NC Penguin
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: making friends

Originally posted by Smesa
I've been living here ( Florida ) for 13 years now & still have one foot in the door & one foot out. It's no wonder I can't ' settle'. I now worry that I'll feel 'different' in the UK & find myself in that grey area where I belong neither here nor there.
Hi,

I know only too well that feeling of not knowing where you truly belong anymore. Going back to the UK to live for awhile is good advice but it will also contribute to the unsettled feeling in the long run. At best, it may make you realise that there is more you like about day to day living in Florida than you will experience (or have experienced) in the UK.

But as has also been advised, don't sell up as if you never intended to return. I've done it twice and it's a hard slog to get re-established. Rent your home out or something.

Some come over and never look back; some only look back; the rest of us are looking for that mythical land that has the best of both countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.