Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

looking to get out of the uk

looking to get out of the uk

Old Feb 17th 2009, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

kevindj has a spectacular aura aboutkevindj has a spectacular aura aboutkevindj has a spectacular aura about
Default looking to get out of the uk

me and the wife are looking to get out of the uk,we are in our early 30's and have a 4 year old daughter, the places that have been put to me are:

brownsville, texas
lousiville, kentucky
tulsa ,oklahoma
augusta ,georgia

now if anyone has any advice on any of these places that would be great, we currently live in cardiff in the uk so we are looking for a low crime area, the last thing i need right now is to move somewhere where i'm gonna have to watch someone with a gun slay my family in front of me, my wife is a hairdresser and my work is internet based so i don't think we would have any problems with work, i have been looking at property in tulsa and it looks good so we may travel there next month to have a proper look.

the property there is so much better that here and want to find out more about the lifestyle our current 3 bed semi is going up for £200,000 so we'd be looking at property around $200-250,000 usd
Old Feb 17th 2009, 4:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looking to get out of the uk

Originally Posted by kevindj
me and the wife are looking to get out of the uk,we are in our early 30's and have a 4 year old daughter, the places that have been put to me are:

brownsville, texas
lousiville, kentucky
tulsa ,oklahoma
augusta ,georgia

now if anyone has any advice on any of these places that would be great, we currently live in cardiff in the uk so we are looking for a low crime area, the last thing i need right now is to move somewhere where i'm gonna have to watch someone with a gun slay my family in front of me, my wife is a hairdresser and my work is internet based so i don't think we would have any problems with work, i have been looking at property in tulsa and it looks good so we may travel there next month to have a proper look.

the property there is so much better that here and want to find out more about the lifestyle our current 3 bed semi is going up for £200,000 so we'd be looking at property around $200-250,000 usd
Unless one of you are a US citizen...your problem will be getting a visa...from what you've told us your chances are zero.

Take a look at this:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 17th 2009 at 5:19 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 4:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Put to you by whom?

Rene
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:09 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Put to you by whom?

Rene
Somebody with a sense of humor! Brownsville?
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

me and the wife are looking to get out of the uk,we are in our early 30's
What are your citizenships? Unless you have a clear path to a visa that will let you relocate to the US, searching for property will be a waste of time and money.
The foregoing might come across as harsh, but foreign nationals can't just up sticks and move to the USA. There are a limited number of visa categories. If you don't qualify for one of them, you're out of luck.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Somebody with a sense of humor! Brownsville?
OMG that's what I thought...I wouldn't even send my mother in law to Brownsville
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

kevindj has a spectacular aura aboutkevindj has a spectacular aura aboutkevindj has a spectacular aura about

thanks for the reply brownsville not to nice unless your buying rocks then?

the visa is not an issue we have a clear path to that sorted.

just looking more on area
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the reply brownsville not to nice unless your buying rocks then?

the visa is not an issue we have a clear path to that sorted.

just looking more on area
Would it be too nosey to ask what the path to immigrating is? If it's work-related, perhaps you're saying the company has offices in those cities, and you get to choose your preference?

Rene
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Would it be too nosey to ask what the path to immigrating is? If it's work-related, perhaps you're saying the company has offices in those cities, and you get to choose your preference?

Rene
something along those lines, but lets just say i have already been on to that side of it and it isn't going to be a problem, my main concern is not getting robbed or shot on my way to the local shop
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:55 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

something along those lines, but lets just say i have already been on to that side of it and it isn't going to be a problem, my main concern is not getting robbed or shot on my way to the local shop
Moron
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You said your work was internet based. What type of visa will you be using?
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:57 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Moron
Nice to see you around...
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Moron
and where the hell have you been?
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Kevin, I'm a native of Louisville, KY. What questions do you have about the place? Housing isn't too bad, you'll want to make sure you look for housing in the east end of the city. A nice sized place can be anywhere from lower $200s to $300s. There are quite a few great public schools. As most mid-sized American cities, there is not much in the way of public transpo, so a car (or 2) is definitely a must. I believe that one of the two really good high schools offer an International Bacculeaurate (sp?) degree if you want it to be easier for your kids to be able to attend uni back in Britain. There isn't much in the way of a Brit ex-pat community, and we do have a not-so-bad arts community for a bit of culture. Not to mention, we have great outdoor activities for those so inclined. Keep in mind that we get the extremes of weather here - it can be over 100F in the summer with 90% humidity, and drop to -20F in the winter. Louisville is one of the cities that got hit about 10 days ago iwth the massive ice storm that knocked out power to over 600k people in the state. And we have tornadic activity in the area every year (though I have never personally had a tornado knock down my door) and I've seen damage from them as well as seen funnel clouds more than once. FYI, Tulsa will have a heck of a lot more tornado activity than we have. So if you move there, make sure your house has a basement.

I'm from the suburbs of Louisville, and have lived here for about 25 of my 30 years. Never been shot at, mugged, carjacked, etc. so crime isn't that much of a concern (just don't move to the West End of the city). If you have any other questions, send me a PM.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Feb 17th 2009 at 6:03 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Moron
Come on, tell us what could be more exciting than being here?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.