Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

looking to get out of the uk

looking to get out of the uk

Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:16 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looking to get out of the uk

Originally Posted by notacrime
My company is hiring, so there are definitely jobs out there. Our good friends on this board are all doom and gloom, they are just proving their britishness.
Gissa job? I'll come be your assistant. Better yet, I'll work remotely. Just send the checks. Heck, you can even direct deposit them, that's a lot more convenient for me.

(I'm getting sick of the doom/gloom too. It's infectious.. ewwwww!)
Old Mar 8th 2009, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phychlone
Is this me?

Hi all been having a bit of a bad time of it recently, my Mum just passed away and I am seriously considering upping sticks and putting my citizenship to good use. I'd rather be over there, than in the UK being run into the ground by an idiotic one eyed scotsman (Clarkson's words, not mine).

I don't know where to begin, I would like to know I've got work BEFORE leaving but I'm aware that recruiters are not likely to take any application seriously unless I am based in the US already, so how would one cross this precarious bridge? I have 2 children and a long term girlfriend (for those who don't know/remember the saga) obviously I'll have to acquire citizenship for the sprogs and make an honest women of my OH.

I have a background in commercial Insurance but tbh I don't mind turning my hand to anything, in fact returning to outdoor work seems appealing at the moment.

As you can no doubt guess I don't really have a clue about the best way to approach this and I am looking for a gentle nudge in the right direction.

Any help would be appreciated.
I'm very sorry for your loss.

For what it's worth - I agree with JerseyGirl. Employment is scarce right now. On the news tonight - 700 people applied for a janitor's job at a school in Ohio. Hardly a sought after job ordinarily, but it comes with a paycheck and benefits presumably, and that's enough to make it desirable for many.

For now anyway - I would stick with the country where there's a bit of a safety net for you should things go south. Maybe give it a year or so?
Old Mar 8th 2009, 3:27 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I'm very sorry for your loss.

For what it's worth - I agree with JerseyGirl. Employment is scarce right now. On the news tonight - 700 people applied for a janitor's job at a school in Ohio. Hardly a sought after job ordinarily, but it comes with a paycheck and benefits presumably, and that's enough to make it desirable for many.

For now anyway - I would stick with the country where there's a bit of a safety net for you should things go south. Maybe give it a year or so?
And it's much worse for some......... even in the capital of the Golden State...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...s-problem.html
Old Mar 8th 2009, 3:30 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Employment is scarce right now. On the news tonight - 700 people applied for a janitor's job at a school in Ohio. Hardly a sought after job ordinarily, but it comes with a paycheck and benefits presumably, and that's enough to make it desirable for many.
I know this isn't your part of OH, but I read this article in the New York Times magazine this morning

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/ma...losures&st=cse
Old Mar 8th 2009, 1:01 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

My manager was telling me about Bluffton which is an extension of Hilton Head. It grew like wildfire over the past 10 years going from a sleepy speedtrap hamlet you passed on the way to HH, to a yuppie haven of discreet (borrowed from the HH plan) stores and large numbers of subdivisions. Now that jobs are being lost, 2 year old homes that initally sold for over 500 and 600K are being foreclosed on and offered by the banks for less than 300K.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 1:49 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
My manager was telling me about Bluffton which is an extension of Hilton Head. It grew like wildfire over the past 10 years going from a sleepy speedtrap hamlet you passed on the way to HH, to a yuppie haven of discreet (borrowed from the HH plan) stores and large numbers of subdivisions. Now that jobs are being lost, 2 year old homes that initally sold for over 500 and 600K are being foreclosed on and offered by the banks for less than 300K.
A lot of people from Ohio retire to Bluffton as it is so close to HHI. It is much more reasonable to buy there. The retirees often pick up seasonal work as condo managers tee time setters, etc. It is also where the local lives that work to service the tourist industry. (And it's closer to Savannah than HHI without the traffic) I imagine they will be leaving and only the old farts will be left if things do not change.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

mekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nice

Well, kevin, i am an expat and have lived in Tulsa for three years. Actually there is less tornado activity here as compared to ok city because there are a few hills around. Well, yes the property is cheap and there is a lot of sunshine - i haven't experienced too much wind here and it is probably better than Louiseville kentucky - culture wise they have some theatres etc. There are many churches here this is the bible belt and i want to leave - it's boring and people are narrow minded. I am looking for another job - in california. I have met many british people here in tulsa so there is a british community here more than in cali.
julia
Old Mar 9th 2009, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
I know this isn't your part of OH, but I read this article in the New York Times magazine this morning

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/ma...losures&st=cse
Thanks for posting this article Elfman. Luckily we haven't been hit as hard as Cleveland, though that article did mention that half of the money set aside for "neighborhood stabilization" in many cities including Minneapolis, Cincinnati, Detroit, etc. was going to be used to raze homes. Scary stuff.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

ellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really nice

Originally Posted by Phychlone
Is this me?

Hi all been having a bit of a bad time of it recently, my Mum just passed away and I am seriously considering upping sticks and putting my citizenship to good use. I'd rather be over there, than in the UK being run into the ground by an idiotic one eyed scotsman (Clarkson's words, not mine).

I don't know where to begin, I would like to know I've got work BEFORE leaving but I'm aware that recruiters are not likely to take any application seriously unless I am based in the US already, so how would one cross this precarious bridge? I have 2 children and a long term girlfriend (for those who don't know/remember the saga) obviously I'll have to acquire citizenship for the sprogs and make an honest women of my OH.

I have a background in commercial Insurance but tbh I don't mind turning my hand to anything, in fact returning to outdoor work seems appealing at the moment.

As you can no doubt guess I don't really have a clue about the best way to approach this and I am looking for a gentle nudge in the right direction.

Any help would be appreciated.
As an American citizen born and bread in the UK, I made the leap over the pond in September 08. I live in a small town now and only work part time but that's keeping me ticking over, just. As soon as I learn to drive over here hopefully I'll be able to find a full time position out of town.

When I made the decision to move I was upset about it but realised that I didn't want to wake up in ten years time saying to myself "I wish I had lived in the States" - which would I regret more - staying or going?

I guess the way I see it is that what's the worst thing that can happen? -I'm forced because of finances to return to the UK. *shrug* Rather regret something I've done rather than something I didn't - but that's just me.

Good luck in your decision.