Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

looking to get out of the uk

looking to get out of the uk

Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:56 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looking to get out of the uk

Originally Posted by Manc
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

He's sorted.

no need to press the issue.
You believe everything you read on the internet?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
but in the meantime its been a very interesting discussion about nothing

Those are the best discussions. You can go off on a tangent and no one is the wiser.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 7:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Those are the best discussions. You can go off on a tangent and no one is the wiser.
Certainly our OP isn't any the wiser..
Old Feb 18th 2009, 7:12 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Certainly our OP isn't any the wiser..
Surely that's secondary to the entertainment value of the same old people jumping straight down a new posters throat and demanding to know where his visa is in a smug confrontational manner. It happens every time in a "nah nah, we have a visa and you don't" style
Old Feb 18th 2009, 7:17 pm
Banned

SunnyMeadow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
116 responses, not bad for a first post, though!
I think the make-up of the users on this site tend to respond stronger to these kinds of questions/postings compared to those questions that don't have an element of mystery/suspicion/annoyance about them.

Ergo the number of postings is high, even though a fair number of these drifted off and some had nothing to do with, the subject matter that was posed by the OP.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 10:28 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
It happens every time in a "nah nah, we have a visa and you don't" style
I thought that was part of the fun of having a visa.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 10:31 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Well I'm persuaded - it must be terrible being a white hetro male in the UK and not able to get a fair shot at anything in life.

No we just join the Masons and screw the system that way.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 5:57 am
Just Joined

br1t29 is a jewel in the roughbr1t29 is a jewel in the roughbr1t29 is a jewel in the roughbr1t29 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by meauxna
You believe everything you read on the internet?
Wow, you people are all kinds of bitter. I understand it must have been a PITA to get a Visa or not, but its besides the point, this guys got one, he doesnt wanna tell you why.

Why do you care? You're coming of a like a bunch of old ladies.

I have a green card. Had one since I was eight. I didnt lift a finger, and my parents barely did either. it involved my Dad's work, now if I were to ask you a simple question about where to live in the US would you berate me until I told you or would you answer the damn question? Ridiculous!
Old Feb 19th 2009, 6:02 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by br1t29
You're coming of a like a bunch of old ladies.
If it walks like a duck...... talks like a duck.....
Old Feb 19th 2009, 6:05 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

As per:

Originally Posted by penguinsix
You should understand that we get someone like you pretty much every day on this board, and with every single case people ask 'what is your visa' first to save us all, and quite possibly you, some frustrations. People are asking about the visa for a variety of valid reasons, including:

1) You've been told by an 'immigration counselor' or some other fellow that 'getting a visa is easy, just send me £500 and I'll get it sorted for you' which is never the case and people get ripped off. They prey off of 'pub-room' stories about 'this guy who went to the US without a college degree and was welcomed with open arms and given a job in a week' or 'that gal on Eastenders moved to the US so I can too'. People being direct and upfront is an effort to save some people this financial loss and rumor-mill belief about the ease of entry to the US.

2) You may think being British or being in the EU somehow entitles you to some 'special relationship' entry to the US, which it does not.

3) You really haven't thought through all the visa issues thoroughly, for example you have no idea what 'retrogression' is and how it might apply in your case. You may think you can buy a investors visa but are then talking about buying a house for $200k when that is the bare minimum you have to invest to even be considered for some visas. You might be under the impression that your wife will be able to work under the visa you are considering, which is often not the case. People who have been there done that would be certain to offer you some advice.

4) You're just thinking of coming over on the VWP, breaking the law and disappearing, which would upset, to no end, the millions of folks who wait their turn and obey the rules.

5) You're just a troll having a go at people (believe it or not, we get those too)

So don't get too upset when people ask what your visa is before going into depth about the cities you have 'selected'. If you would answer the visa question honestly you'd get more than your fair share of replies about the area, including from people who are in that area or have done similar moves (just look at the other thread from yesterday about a person moving to Kirkland Washington--she mentioned her visa/job situation from the get go and got scads of good replies).

So if you want some honest answers, give us some honest information and you'd be surprised how many people here will try to help.

Good luck with your decision.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 6:05 am
Just Joined

br1t29 is a jewel in the roughbr1t29 is a jewel in the roughbr1t29 is a jewel in the roughbr1t29 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by kevindj
me and the wife are looking to get out of the uk,we are in our early 30's and have a 4 year old daughter, the places that have been put to me are:

brownsville, texas
lousiville, kentucky
tulsa ,oklahoma
augusta ,georgia

now if anyone has any advice on any of these places that would be great, we currently live in cardiff in the uk so we are looking for a low crime area, the last thing i need right now is to move somewhere where i'm gonna have to watch someone with a gun slay my family in front of me, my wife is a hairdresser and my work is internet based so i don't think we would have any problems with work, i have been looking at property in tulsa and it looks good so we may travel there next month to have a proper look.

the property there is so much better that here and want to find out more about the lifestyle our current 3 bed semi is going up for £200,000 so we'd be looking at property around $200-250,000 usd
Im from the Northwest US, so I know little about these areas other than what I've heard and learned from people.

I'll tell you that the US is a huge country and that its very culturally diverse, contrary to what you may believe. Kentucky and Georgia are very much south, deep south. Texas is its own animal, not quite deep south, it's a whole world unto its own. And Oklahoma? God knows. Only thing I know about Oklahoma is everyone left during the great depression, not sure if anyone's returned ever since.

If I had to pick one out of those towns? Id go with Louisville. Its the biggest and "most cultured" of the 4. Its near the Mississippi which guarantees all kinds of good food and history. They do lots of festivals etc, and its actually a quite young city.

Go to the kentucky derby, get drunk on mint julips, and be witness to the insane spectacle of southern social life and hospitality.

Plus its regarded as being very safe, one of the top 10.

Last edited by br1t29; Feb 19th 2009 at 6:09 am.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 6:08 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I demand to know who moved the Mississippi River.

Last edited by Manc; Feb 19th 2009 at 6:28 am. Reason: you can change your post, but it's not even close to the mississippi either.... it's still 2 states away
Old Feb 19th 2009, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

What is you income range?

Apart from getting shot, what do you dislike?

What do you enjoy doing?

Originally Posted by kevindj
why everyone is so concerned about the visas we have is beyond me! thanks for all your concern but i got it sorted, i have no need to discuss the how where's and when's of our visa's and permits, all i wanted to know was what the areas were like so far only 1 person has managed to answer without questioning visa's
Old Feb 19th 2009, 6:36 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by veryfunny
Apart from getting shot, what do you dislike?
Best. Post. Evah!
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:04 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
What flavour?
why sprout flavored of course!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.