Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

looking to get out of the uk

looking to get out of the uk

Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:38 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looking to get out of the uk

Originally Posted by kevindj
why everyone is so concerned about the visas we have is beyond me! thanks for all your concern but i got it sorted, i have no need to discuss the how where's and when's of our visa's and permits, all i wanted to know was what the areas were like so far only 1 person has managed to answer without questioning visa's
Being eligible to apply for a US Visa (or at least having an employer do so on your behalf) is what will facilitate you having a snowball's chance in hell of moving to the US. Otherwise, you are wasting your time.

If you are not willing to tell BE what visa you will be approved for, I think many members will not take you seriously and that is understandable because newbie members frequently post alarmingly similar questions like yours on a near daily basis without reading the Wiki article on routes to emigrate/live and work in the US or reading some similar web page.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:40 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

maybe he has an Eastenders Visa? You know - the 'im going to decide today to move to america tomorrow on a whim and all will be okay' visa.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
For "curious", read nosey.
Honestly, if everyone that wanted to contribute just answered the bloke's question about location rather than giving him the third degree and getting all wound up about his visa possibilities, things would become less heated.
Too late, I already said that myself: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...34&postcount=8

I really don't see what's so hard about saying "I have an L1 visa". (or whatever he has)

Rene
Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:48 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the people here in the US still don't get my sense of humour, honestly... too bad. I've never heard any of them deny the gun crime figures though, or say they'd be chilled out to be in a dodgy area after dark if they weren't carrying. I've made such remarks about gun crime before and people either laughed, or agreed and commented on that's why they carry a gun all the time, so I doubt many in FL would take offence to anyone saying that kind of thing.
Maybe not the kind of folks you seem to hang out with, but Sister Maisie at the Corner Baptist Church might not quite fit that description. No-one in TN where I lived would have appreciated that kind of sick joke either.

As for people being nosey, personally nosey doesn't come into it for me (I don't give a rat's bee-hind what kind of visa he's got (or doesn't have, more to the point). As others have pointed out, many's the time we read first-timers with vague allusions to "looking to get to the US" who don't have a clue what they're doing. Quite honestly, I don't thnk this guy has a visa any more than my dog does, so why would I waste time telling him whether Brownsville is nicer than Hicksville? It's not the kind of visa that people are trying to determine, it's whether he has a visa at all (personally, I doubt it).
Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:49 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Too late, I already said that myself: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...34&postcount=8

I really don't see what's so hard about saying "I have an L1 visa". (or whatever he has)

Rene
I'd hazard a guess that maybe some people just don't like the idea of spreading personal information all over the net for the whole world to see, Rene?
Hey, just think, now because of this maybe he'll bookmark the BE site as the website britishexpatsandnoseygits.com in his favourites, of course if he does, everyone on here will probably want to know why, how, when and whatfor
Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:52 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

You should understand that we get someone like you pretty much every day on this board, and with every single case people ask 'what is your visa' first to save us all, and quite possibly you, some frustrations. People are asking about the visa for a variety of valid reasons, including:

1) You've been told by an 'immigration counselor' or some other fellow that 'getting a visa is easy, just send me £500 and I'll get it sorted for you' which is never the case and people get ripped off. They prey off of 'pub-room' stories about 'this guy who went to the US without a college degree and was welcomed with open arms and given a job in a week' or 'that gal on Eastenders moved to the US so I can too'. People being direct and upfront is an effort to save some people this financial loss and rumor-mill belief about the ease of entry to the US.

2) You may think being British or being in the EU somehow entitles you to some 'special relationship' entry to the US, which it does not.

3) You really haven't thought through all the visa issues thoroughly, for example you have no idea what 'retrogression' is and how it might apply in your case. You may think you can buy a investors visa but are then talking about buying a house for $200k when that is the bare minimum you have to invest to even be considered for some visas. You might be under the impression that your wife will be able to work under the visa you are considering, which is often not the case. People who have been there done that would be certain to offer you some advice.

4) You're just thinking of coming over on the VWP, breaking the law and disappearing, which would upset, to no end, the millions of folks who wait their turn and obey the rules.

5) You're just a troll having a go at people (believe it or not, we get those too)

So don't get too upset when people ask what your visa is before going into depth about the cities you have 'selected'. If you would answer the visa question honestly you'd get more than your fair share of replies about the area, including from people who are in that area or have done similar moves (just look at the other thread from yesterday about a person moving to Kirkland Washington--she mentioned her visa/job situation from the get go and got scads of good replies).

So if you want some honest answers, give us some honest information and you'd be surprised how many people here will try to help.

Good luck with your decision.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
As for people being nosey, personally nosey doesn't come into it for me (I don't give a rat's bee-hind what kind of visa he's got (or doesn't have, more to the point). As others have pointed out, many's the time we read first-timers with vague allusions to "looking to get to the US" who don't have a clue what they're doing. Quite honestly, I don't thnk this guy has a visa any more than my dog does, so why would I waste time telling him whether Brownsville is nicer than Hicksville? It's not the kind of visa that people are trying to determine, it's whether he has a visa at all (personally, I doubt it).

Exactly.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:01 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe not the kind of folks you seem to hang out with, but Sister Maisie at the Corner Baptist Church might not quite fit that description. No-one in TN where I lived would have appreciated that kind of sick joke either.

I don't hang out with anyone called Sister Maisie, but if I did, believe me, she wouldn't like me.

Yeah, of course you care, and of course you're all nosey, or you wouldn't be hounding the bloke about his sense of humour and his visa, you'd be answering the original question.

Don't worry, I'm not new here, I've read plenty of posts with people who don't have a clue what they're doing when they ask about moving the US, but the guy wasn't asking if he could move here, or if he could make a joke, he was asking about locations, and stated he wanted info on the places. Seemed pretty simple to me.

As I said, most people in this part of FL certainly wouldn't have much of a problem relating to gun crime, and if they did, they'd have to be standing around with their head buried in the sand.

Now, before anyone wonders... no, I'm not playing to an audience.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:01 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

If a man says he's sorted...

Then he's sorted.

It's ManLaw

Last edited by Manc; Feb 17th 2009 at 10:03 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Manc
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

If a man says he's sorted...

Then he's sorted.

It's ManLaw

I'll go along with that. I like man-law, probably has the AAA batteries, screwdriver and duct tape in the man-drawer, and the bar and dancing girls in the man-loft too.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:05 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I don't hang out with anyone called Sister Maisie, but if I did, believe me, she wouldn't like me.

Yeah, of course you care, and of course you're all nosey, or you wouldn't be hounding the bloke about his sense of humour and his visa, you'd be answering the original question.

Don't worry, I'm not new here, I've read plenty of posts with people who don't have a clue what they're doing when they ask about moving the US, but the guy wasn't asking if he could move here, or if he could make a joke, he was asking about locations, and stated he wanted info on the places. Seemed pretty simple to me.

As I said, most people in this part of FL certainly wouldn't have much of a problem relating to gun crime, and if they did, they'd have to be standing around with their head buried in the sand.

Now, before anyone wonders... no, I'm not playing to an audience.
I'll be down your way in April - do I need to make sure I'm packing some heat?
Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:06 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Oh for the love of god, can we get back on topic?!!

Now, where else can I get other flavours of Pot Noodles....?
Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:07 pm
Banned

I'll be down your way in April - do I need to make sure I'm packing some heat?
Seriously? Yeah, it might be a good idea, everyone else does!
Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by tonrob
Oh for the love of god, can we get back on topic?!!

Now, where else can I get other flavours of Pot Noodles....?
Yeah, let's do as this welsh git says.

If you want rip-off, you can get 'em anywhere, if you want the real thing... I'll be back home in April, I'll bring some back and post them on up to you.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:12 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously? Yeah, it might be a good idea, everyone else does!
I have nothing to add.

I've just been wanting to ask you what your sigline means and this seemed like as good a place as any to do it.

What does your sigline mean? (Not the ones and zeros, the part about looking like your avatar)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.