Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Local tragedy

Local tragedy

Old Nov 20th 2005, 12:01 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Local tragedy

Originally Posted by bencoles
Nowhere near as many as in the US or even in Canada. Murder rate here is 1.8 per 100,000. US is 6.3 per 100,000. Some European countries are below 1 per 100,000. South Africa is a massive 56 per 100,000 - an awful lot of guns there too. I suspect policing is a lot more effective in the US than South Africa and unemployment is much lower.

I hope you guys who do go ahead and get a gun also get lots of training on how to use them.

Thanks. I've had a little bit.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 12:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Or the home schooling
there's a scary thought
Old Nov 20th 2005, 7:14 am
Just Joined

bencoles has a spectacular aura aboutbencoles has a spectacular aura aboutbencoles has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Ray
Australia
First Ranking
Crime - Burglaries (per capita)
Crime - Car thefts (per capita)
Crime - Total crime victims
Environment - Pollution - Carbon Dioxide from fossil fuels 1990 (per $ GDP)
Lifestyle - Amphetamine use

Second
Crime - Bribe payers index
Lifestyle - Cannabis use
Mortality - Antiepileptics and antiparkinsonism drugs
Mortality - Dermatophytosis (per capita)

Third
Crime - Burglaries
Crime - Rapes (per capita)

Fourth
Crime - Rapes

Fifth
Crime - Rapes
Mortality - Corns and callosities
Mortality - Dorsalgia

Not so perfect really .....
Ray, I wonder where you got your statistics from. I had no idea Australia was the second most corrupt country in the world. I must have been smoking cannabis or taking amphetamines when I was living in Africa but I do seem to remember there was an awful lot more there. In fact I have never heard of anyone offering or taking a bribe here. Actually, according to Transparency International Australia comes near the top of the least corrupt countries in the world. How can Australia be 3rd, 4th and 5th for rapes??? I guess I'm not the only one smoking something unusual.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 10:53 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Local tragedy

Originally Posted by Englishmum
To be honest I'm finding it rather alarming to read of my fellow Brits discussing the pros and cons of particular makes of guns....I honestly wish you would send Private Messages to each other about guns if you don't mind?
Just read your messager and haven't read subsequent posts. If you're bothered by the content in the this thread, don't read it. However, you live in the US which is a nation that has a culture of the citizens arming themselves. If you can't handle discussion about it, maybe you should consider why you continue to live in the country.

Maybe you can learn something about firearms, safety and attitudes?<<snip>>[/QUOTE]

NC Penguin
Old Nov 20th 2005, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Ray, I wonder where you got your statistics from. I had no idea Australia was the second most corrupt country in the world. I must have been smoking cannabis or taking amphetamines when I was living in Africa but I do seem to remember there was an awful lot more there. In fact I have never heard of anyone offering or taking a bribe here. Actually, according to Transparency International Australia comes near the top of the least corrupt countries in the world. How can Australia be 3rd, 4th and 5th for rapes??? I guess I'm not the only one smoking something unusual.

Rape of Kangaroos ?
Old Nov 20th 2005, 12:52 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Ray, I wonder where you got your statistics from. How can Australia be 3rd, 4th and 5th for rapes
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-B/cri_bur_cap

Badly written by me
3rd Crime - Rapes (per capita)
4th Crime - Rapes
5thCrime - Rape victims

Last edited by Ray; Nov 20th 2005 at 12:59 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
Rape of Kangaroos ?
and Koala rape??.... indecent assult of a digiridoo?.... Dingo penetration???
Old Nov 20th 2005, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

I thought you realised, Ray, Australia is a perfect land full of sunshine and happy people with no crime....or is that Florida.. Im confused now.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-B/cri_bur_cap

Badly written by me
3rd Crime - Rapes (per capita)
4th Crime - Rapes
5thCrime - Rape victims

This is an interesting one. Basically it shows residents perception of crime to that country:

The US comes out as the second safest country as percieved by the residents while Oz comes out 14th. So even Aussies dont feel safe in the land down under.

Map & Graph: Crime: Perception of safety - Walking in dark

Definition: Proportions in International Crime Victims Survey 2000 reporting that they feel safe walking in the dark.

Country Description Amount
1. Sweden 85%
2. United States 82%
3. Canada 82%
4. Denmark 81%
5. Netherlands 81%
6. Finland 81%
7. Austria 78%
8. Japan 78%
9. France 77%
10. Switzerland 77%
11. Belgium 77%
12. United Kingdom 70%
13. Italy 65%
14. Australia 64%
15. New Zealand 62%
Weighted Average 77.7%

Source: UN International Crime Victims' Survey
Old Nov 20th 2005, 1:43 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Map & Graph: Crime: Perception of safety - Walking in dark
Walking in the Dark ... they are kidding ..FFS this is Florida .. who walks anywhere ... Thats totally un-American ...
Old Nov 20th 2005, 1:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
Walking in the Dark ... they are kidding ..FFS this is Florida .. who walks anywhere ... Thats totally un-American ...
I know....had to chuckle.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 5:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
That's why they feel safe doing it, because it's all imaginary
Old Nov 20th 2005, 6:10 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That's why they feel safe doing it, because it's all imaginary

"The problem is all inside your head".... now who said that?
Old Nov 20th 2005, 6:24 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Elvira
"The problem is all inside your head".... now who said that?
The problem is all inside your head,
She said to me.
The answer is easy if you
Take it logically.
I’d like to help you in your struggle
To be free;
There must be fifty ways
To leave your lover.”
—Paul Simon and Mr F......
Old Nov 20th 2005, 8:17 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Those who walk are those who can't afford to buy a car and pay for the auto insurance. Might not be anyone you know personally but they're the underclass of the US...

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.