Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Local tragedy

Local tragedy

Old Nov 12th 2005, 2:42 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Local tragedy

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....511120352/1001

This occurred outside my house last night. I was browsing BE at the time and heard the gunshot. The man in question is my next door neighbour who was a great guy.

Two black men are current suspects

Question for RAY or other Floridians/Texans

I need some serious suggestions on 'protection' for

My House
My Car
My Person

Both me and wifey will be getting a concelaed weapons permit
Old Nov 12th 2005, 2:45 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Local tragedy

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN

This occurred outside my house last night. I was browsing BE at the time and heard the gunshot. The man in question is my next door neighbour who was a great guy.

My House
My Car
My Person

I'm sorry about your neighbour.

But at what moment would you draw your weapon and shoot and kill someone who walked up to your car? It's your decision, obviously, but please think it through.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 2:51 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter

But at what moment would you draw your weapon and shoot and kill someone who walked up to your car? It's your decision, obviously, but please think it through.
They were my thoughts too - do the police have any idea what the motive was? If it was a random attack or an attempted robbery the concealed weapon purchases may be a justifiable reaction. If it was a one-off personal matter between your neighbour and his murderers then maybe less so.

Incidentally when we lived in Manhattan somebody was shot dead outside our apartment (W. 69th Street) and we didn't hear a thing.

Last edited by elfman; Nov 12th 2005 at 2:56 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 2:55 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
They were my thoughts too - do the police have any idea what the motive was? If it was a random attack or an attempted robbery the concealed weapon purchases may be a justifiable reaction. If it was a one-off personal matter between your neighbour and his murderers then maybe less so.
2 black thugs conducting a robbery
Old Nov 12th 2005, 3:03 pm
Mr. Grumpy

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter

Probably at the point I saw they had a gun I would get ready for a potential altercation

This is the second person I have know personally in the last 12 months who has been killed in a brutal fashion for no reason.

In the previous incident, the 17 year old kid who killed my friend then proceeded to attempt to carjack someone in a local mall. the father in the car had a CWP and fought back, staging a gun battle in the car park. before he was able to get his gun out his 9 year old was shot in the face (survived). if he was not carrying then I'd warrant the outcome would have been much worse

I have always been antigun, but after this occurring last night and a number of other local armed robberies to the person, I feel I have to perpetuate the problem so I can feel safe at night.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 3:03 pm
Mr. Grumpy

One of my friends is in the FBI, I will be going to a course of gunnery lessons with him and my wife
Old Nov 12th 2005, 3:22 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

OMG!!!

Personally speaking..... without hesitation I'd move to another part of town or a new area without delay.... :scared:
Old Nov 12th 2005, 3:27 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

2 black thugs conducting a robbery

And the point of highlighting that they were black is...?

Old Nov 12th 2005, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
OMG!!!

Personally speaking..... without hesitation I'd move to another part of town or a new area without delay.... :scared:
me too
Old Nov 12th 2005, 3:30 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

My condolences to your neighbor's family, that's awful. Funny, I've lived here for much of my life and have never experienced anything like this.

Englishmum is right -- if your neighborhood is that bad, you should consider moving if you can. Surely there must be safer parts of town than that, and I would do that before arming yourself.

If you do insist on arming yourself, get a shotgun for the house (that way, you can't miss, and you won't hurt your neighbors) and a small handgun with minimal kick, such as a 9mm, to conceal/ carry. But please, do make sure that you learn how to use them. And do keep the guns in a safe whenever you leave them in the house, to keep them out of the hands of kids and burglars.

And step back and give yourself time to clear your head. This event just happened, you might choose a different course of action if you let some time pass and give it some thought.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 3:44 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
And the point of highlighting that they were black is...?

Nothing. He was merely stating the news article.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 3:50 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

My House
My Car
My Person

Damn, sorry to hear about that.

Is owning a gun going to stop it happening to you? No. But then, who's to say it ever will.

If you go through with it, there may come a point where you will have to take someone else's life to defend yourself. Could you do it? What if it's a mistake? Could you live with it?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not busting. I'm not a big fan of the way the 2nd amendment has been "interpreted" but I'm not an advocate on banning guns either (although some are a little over the top).

Just think things through and be prepared for every scenario. It looks as though you have given it some thought though and glad to hear you have someone to help you with weapons training. That's priceless.

For me, owning a gun would not make me feel safe. I don't have the back bone to point and shoot and take someone's life. But then, I haven't been in a life or death situation so who knows. My brain tells me I couldn't do it, my instincts maybe different.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 3:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

One of my friends is in the FBI, I will be going to a course of gunnery lessons with him and my wife
One person's opinion here: Lessons are not enough. The way people learn to be proficient at something is called 'training'; drilling, practicing, going over and over it until you literally can perform without thinking. And then retraining, and keeping up regular practice.

I'll use the example of scuba diving. On my first outing after my classes, another diver kicked my mask off my face (OK, face was too close to feet, but that's another lesson learned!). First thought: panic. First action, doing exactly what I trained and drilled to do. Outcome: no big deal.

I just cut the other boring story about personal experiences with carrying concealed and keeping guns in my house. If you feel that it's the best solution for your situation, learn every damn thing you can and then practice it.
Don't be one of the people who gets shot with his own weapon. (the shotgun for home is a great idea, as opposed to a big handgun)
Old Nov 12th 2005, 3:59 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I'm all for you obtaining you carry permit...but of course this is a knee jerk reaction to the situation ..it will take maybe 90 day to get your permit
so you won't be carrying tomorrow .. the situation will have calmed by then
you may re-think it ..

As for your area, home, car.. only you know the layout etc ..
The car is of no consequence.. your home is ..
Have a walk around the exterior.. how easy could you get in if
you lost your keys .. Without added security I reckon I can get in the average house within 2 to 3 minutes..

A can off pepper spray is a good stop gap ...
Old Nov 12th 2005, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psb182
me too
me three!

I hope you're in a position to move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.