Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Local tragedy

Local tragedy

Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Local tragedy

Originally Posted by Partystar
Yep, my Step father in law is a cop & so is his next door neighbour, they drink & drive all the time & think I'm weird for refusing to drink & drive. I don't wanna kill someone or have my license taken away for something as stupid as drinking, it's just not worth it.
It seems the view here is if you feel OK to drive then you drive; I had an argument with my fiancee because after a few beers I didn't want to take the risk of driving, but she felt I should drive because I felt OK.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
do you have a source for that stat? - i find it very interesting. i would say if it has changed that much than the refugees definitely have something to do with it. nashville has been going in the right direction for years, this apparent about turn must be down to something

they didn;t take his car, and right now i don't even think they robbed him

When i was there last (early oct) the local news was pointing out that at the start of the year Nashville was celebrated at reaching 48th most dangerous city (memphis was 4th) and that it was a huge success story, and that the murders from the start of 2005 to oct were way up, most of them had been in sept... the only thing i know that happened in sept was Katrina..

My wifes mother lives near little rock, her friend voluntierd to help serve food to the relocated NO people, they were as bad as you could imagine. The local police had to intervene as they were using their walmart gift cards to buy ingredients and equipment for making drugs......

from what i can see, the government had managed to keep a lot of the violent criminals in one city, and now has spread these guys all over the south and the local infrastructures cant handle them. the hurricane will be claiming more victims for months to come!

i saw a news report that stated the NO police department fired off 700 rounds of ammunition in various areas of the city lat year, and not a single call came in from local residents to report the activity.
The US Government need to step on the spreading gun crime and gang culture with as much ferocity as they sunk into iraq.... cos this problem aint going away!
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:38 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
I could be totally wrong here, but could it have been a gay hate crime? Or did I get the wrong end of the stick?
that had been a consideration, the two likely people involved were on foot and its unlikely they would have know the guy in the jetta at the stop sign was gay. Still can't rule it out though. Especially as the black community tends not to be as tolerable to the gay community.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by basementwaj
The US Government need to step on the spreading gun crime and gang culture with as much ferocity as they sunk into iraq.... cos this problem aint going away!
I saw a report on CNN recently about gang members in the armed services; the Pentagon were investigating soldiers making gang signs in photos taken in Iraq.

That is very worrying - gang members with military training.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:42 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
It seems the view here is if you feel OK to drive then you drive; I had an argument with my fiancee because after a few beers I didn't want to take the risk of driving, but she felt I should drive because I felt OK.
That's when I say, yes you may feel fine, but if you get stopped, you could have your license taken away & what would you do then?!?!? It's not worth it.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I saw a report on CNN recently about gang members in the armed services; the Pentagon were investigating soldiers making gang signs in photos taken in Iraq.

That is very worrying - gang members with military training.

I guess its innevitable when you recruit in the poorest areas of the US (ala farenheit 911)......
geeze, its way to scarey to think about...
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:45 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

When i was there last (early oct) the local news was pointing out that at the start of the year Nashville was celebrated at reaching 48th most dangerous city (memphis was 4th) and that it was a huge success story, and that the murders from the start of 2005 to oct were way up, most of them had been in sept... the only thing i know that happened in sept was Katrina..

My wifes mother lives near little rock, her friend voluntierd to help serve food to the relocated NO people, they were as bad as you could imagine. The local police had to intervene as they were using their walmart gift cards to buy ingredients and equipment for making drugs......

from what i can see, the government had managed to keep a lot of the violent criminals in one city, and now has spread these guys all over the south and the local infrastructures cant handle them. the hurricane will be claiming more victims for months to come!
interesting comments.

some fool on my local listserv has suggested a motorcade for a 'taking back the streets' procession. to go through all the 'nooks and crannies' of the area.

if we participate then I will have someone riding shotgun - literally
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:45 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

20 because barrel is a bit shorter than 12 guage apparently and less recoil apparently for the wife to use

glock because they seem to have a 'bulletproof' reputation

Check out the defender 1300 - it has a 18" barrel and 8 shot magazine. Also, I heard that 12ga low power ammo is about the same as 20ga full power...
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:47 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

20 because barrel is a bit shorter than 12 guage apparently and less recoil apparently for the wife to use

glock because they seem to have a 'bulletproof' reputation
Yup good choice if the wife is going to use it .. minimum barrel length is 18.5in for all of them ..

Yes a Glock is one of the best ..my personal preference is the 19C but semi autos are not the best thing to have left loaded for long period...A lot of women have trouble pulling the slide back as well.. a revolver can be lighter and so much easier to use.. try all sorts before you decide ...
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

I feel exactly the same way. thats one of the great things about the area i live in - i can walk to/stagger back, from bars/restaurants
I hope there's sidewalks where you live although walking on a sidewalk might not protect you from some drunk driver who mounts the sidewalk...
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

interesting comments.

some fool on my local listserv has suggested a motorcade for a 'taking back the streets' procession. to go through all the 'nooks and crannies' of the area.

if we participate then I will have someone riding shotgun - literally

That has bad news written all over it... all you gotta do is piss off the wrong person and out come the gangs on a new wave of violence..... directed at those members of the community who want to take back the streets!

I do however agree that something needs to be done, but short of a good vs bad war, who knows what to do!
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ray
Yup good choice if the wife is going to use it .. minimum barrel length is 18.5in for all of them ..

Yes a Glock is one of the best ..my personal preference is the 19C but semi autos are not the best thing to have left loaded for long period...A lot of women have trouble pulling the slide back as well.. a revolver can be lighter and so much easier to use.. try all sorts before you decide ...

i think i will look at a revolver / pistol when i get there, but all this talk of shotguns and stuff is slightly concerning to me. Surely 1 gun per household is enough? maybe one each if you get a CWL.... i dont know, its the whole "get a big shot gun" thing just seems a little.... irresposible?
i dont know.. i dont live there yet... am i wrong?
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

i think i will look at a revolver / pistol when i get there, but all this talk of shotguns and stuff is slightly concerning to me. Surely 1 gun per household is enough? maybe one each if you get a CWL.... i dont know, its the whole "get a big shot gun" thing just seems a little.... irresposible?
I'd read back through the previous thread postings; the shotgun was deemed useful for home protection.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:57 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

If it bothers you .. keep away from them ... its really that simple ..
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Smile Re: Local tragedy

Originally Posted by Ray
If it bothers you .. keep away from them ... its really that simple ..

fair enough

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.