Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Local tragedy

Local tragedy

Old Nov 16th 2005, 1:28 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Local tragedy

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I'm surprised no one has asked the question: "Where do I start?"
I've been trying to read up on firearms laws and training - don't want to fall foul in the future - and everything I read is obviously orientated towards USCs.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...EChapter%20790

http://www.packing.org/state/florida/
Old Nov 17th 2005, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

ROBOBOB is an unknown quantity at this point

my advice,buy some weapons for the wife and yourself,get all the permits,its easy.take the lessons.then make the possession of same and perhaps the carrying too,a hobby or pastime.that way familiarity with your chosen tools will become comforting and comfortable. then if the sh## ever hits the fan you can be judged by 12 instead of carried by 6.
seriously though,we live in a very safe area but carry anyway, i never could as a british cop but i sure the heck can now.
may you and yours stay safe and never hear gunshots again but just in case.......
a couple of decent sites to consider in your deliberations.
www.packing.org
www.keepandbeararms.com
regards bob w. in sunny florida where the gun laws are very pro citizen.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

hey britguytn,

just wondering what the latest is on the murder????

did you see 2 wpc's got shot in bradford today?
Old Nov 19th 2005, 6:37 am
Just Joined

bencoles has a spectacular aura aboutbencoles has a spectacular aura aboutbencoles has a spectacular aura about

Reading this post makes me even more sure of my decision to move to Australia and not the good ol US of A. Judging by this forum, public debate seems to revolve around what type of gun you should buy rather how to get guns off the streets. America's way of life seems to come at such a great cost - legions of working poor, absence of health care for a sizeable minority, a staggering 5 million people in prison, by far the highest murder rate in the developed world etc, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I don't underestimate America's achievements, including the liberty and prosperity it affords most of its citizens. I don't idealize the social engineering states like France and Germany. At least America's poor are working. There is nothing more soul destroying than being paid to do nothing as witnessed by the riots in France. There are many Americans I admire and it can be a great place to visit but live there? Maybe for a few years if I had a great job but I think Australia has got a much better balance between equity and opportunity. It sits between the ideological extremes of America and Europe although it has been moving a bit closer to America in recent years.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 1:06 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

All the woosers go to Australia .... then a lot come back after a year...
I agree best thing for you ...
Old Nov 19th 2005, 4:55 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bencoles
Reading this post makes me even more sure of my decision to move to Australia and not the good ol US of A. Judging by this forum, public debate seems to revolve around what type of gun you should buy rather how to get guns off the streets. America's way of life seems to come at such a great cost - legions of working poor, absence of health care for a sizeable minority, a staggering 5 million people in prison, by far the highest murder rate in the developed world etc, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I don't underestimate America's achievements, including the liberty and prosperity it affords most of its citizens. I don't idealize the social engineering states like France and Germany. At least America's poor are working. There is nothing more soul destroying than being paid to do nothing as witnessed by the riots in France. There are many Americans I admire and it can be a great place to visit but live there? Maybe for a few years if I had a great job but I think Australia has got a much better balance between equity and opportunity. It sits between the ideological extremes of America and Europe although it has been moving a bit closer to America in recent years.
Aussie Rulz!!!
Old Nov 19th 2005, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I think there's more anti-gun than pro-gun threads here, you just have to come here at the right time; anyway the gun control thing all came down to one issue: gang control.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 8:31 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Reading this post makes me even more sure of my decision to move to Australia and not the good ol US of A. Judging by this forum, public debate seems to revolve around what type of gun you should buy rather how to get guns off the streets.
You can personally control how you choose to defend yourself, but getting guns off the streets is not something I think I can achieve. So did you come here just to say how much better Australia is than the US? I am certainly no US patriot, but there is good and bad in every country. Its unfair to judge any country unless you've lived there and learned about it's history and culture.
This thread started when someone asked how to defend themself against streetgangs. To get the guns off the streets, you have to get the criminals off the streets. That may happen in a number of years, who knows?! In this guy's situation, choosing a suitable defensive weapon is very appropriate until those guns are no longer around.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Theres armed gangs a plenty down under too. So good luck.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

bencoles has a spectacular aura aboutbencoles has a spectacular aura aboutbencoles has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Chorlton
You can personally control how you choose to defend yourself, but getting guns off the streets is not something I think I can achieve. So did you come here just to say how much better Australia is than the US? I am certainly no US patriot, but there is good and bad in every country. Its unfair to judge any country unless you've lived there and learned about it's history and culture.
This thread started when someone asked how to defend themself against streetgangs. To get the guns off the streets, you have to get the criminals off the streets. That may happen in a number of years, who knows?! In this guy's situation, choosing a suitable defensive weapon is very appropriate until those guns are no longer around.
Chorlton - I didn't mean to offend you. I have visited the US on numerous occasions and lived in your close neighbour, Canada, for 10 years and do have some understanding of US history and culture. I also lived in Africa where gun violence was also a big problem and even there I chose not to own a gun. I did consider it but was advised by people who knew what they were talking about that it would probably be more dangerous than not carrying one. Unfortunately, the advice was to just hand over the valuables as quickly as possible. I actually saw my neighbour get shot because he didn't hand his car keys over but threw them over a wall when held up at gunpoint. He was incredibly lucky to have survived.

In my opinion it is best not to try and defend yourself with a gun. Moving to a safer area and securing your home are much better options. At a societal level, it's much better to enable police to do their job properly. There are also a whole raft of social policies that are required. I also agree with you that the US has specific cultural and historic causes for the current high levels of violent crime. It goes right back to slavery and the American War of Independence. Australia also has fairly violent origins - it did start off as a penal colony after all. A few years back a crazy guy massacred dozens of people in Tasmania with an assault rifle.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Chorlton - I didn't mean to offend you. I have visited the US on numerous occasions and lived in your close neighbour, Canada, for 10 years and do have some understanding of US history and culture. I also lived in Africa where gun violence was also a big problem and even there I chose not to own a gun. I did consider it but was advised by people who knew what they were talking about that it would probably be more dangerous than not carrying one. Unfortunately, the advice was to just hand over the valuables as quickly as possible. I actually saw my neighbour get shot because he didn't hand his car keys over but threw them over a wall when held up at gunpoint. He was incredibly lucky to have survived.

In my opinion it is best not to try and defend yourself with a gun. Moving to a safer area and securing your home are much better options. At a societal level, it's much better to enable police to do their job properly. There are also a whole raft of social policies that are required. I also agree with you that the US has specific cultural and historic causes for the current high levels of violent crime. It goes right back to slavery and the American War of Independence. Australia also has fairly violent origins - it did start off as a penal colony after all. A few years back a crazy guy massacred dozens of people in Tasmania with an assault rifle.
I hear what you are saying, but im definately with Chorton on this..

If you read the threads from the beginning, only 1 person is really pro gun, everyone else is concerned for BritGuyTN's well being and all were making sure he was happy with his decision to purchase a firearm to protect himself.
I have been all over Nashville and know that it is actually one of the safest places to live in the US, so moving isnt really an option. Until something is done to protect the good citizens of the us... and the world, self preservation is the way to go.
Peace of mind also plays a big part, and if owning a gun gives you that piece of mind, and you can own a gun responsibly, it is a worthwhile purchase and a huge lifestyle change.
This is a choice which isnt made lightly, and if you read all the posts from members who discuss if/when they bought a gun, they all say it was a hard desicion and it wasnt one taken lightly.

I think the best thing we can do is support those who need it and help them when they ask for advice.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 10:19 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

None taken
Old Nov 19th 2005, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Theres armed gangs a plenty down under too. So good luck.
Nowhere near as many as in the US or even in Canada. Murder rate here is 1.8 per 100,000. US is 6.3 per 100,000. Some European countries are below 1 per 100,000. South Africa is a massive 56 per 100,000 - an awful lot of guns there too. I suspect policing is a lot more effective in the US than South Africa and unemployment is much lower.

I hope you guys who do go ahead and get a gun also get lots of training on how to use them.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 11:25 pm
Ray

Australia
First Ranking
Crime - Burglaries (per capita)
Crime - Car thefts (per capita)
Crime - Total crime victims
Environment - Pollution - Carbon Dioxide from fossil fuels 1990 (per $ GDP)
Lifestyle - Amphetamine use

Second
Crime - Bribe payers index
Lifestyle - Cannabis use
Mortality - Antiepileptics and antiparkinsonism drugs
Mortality - Dermatophytosis (per capita)

Third
Crime - Burglaries
Crime - Rapes (per capita)

Fourth
Crime - Rapes

Fifth
Crime - Rapes
Mortality - Corns and callosities
Mortality - Dorsalgia

Not so perfect really .....
Old Nov 19th 2005, 11:52 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
that story got a bit part in the news...but it really is the people, not the guns, so in that case, probably lack of parental responsibility...
Or the home schooling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.