Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job offer - opinions please!!

Job offer - opinions please!!

Old Jan 19th 2006, 1:52 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer - opinions please!!

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
So am I, I just don't want to now.

Elaine
I don't want to work here, but I have to, hubby doesn't make enough. He was disillusioned about how much money he would be making once we got over here. Our son never goes without, but we'd like to have more money, so that we don't have to tie our purse strings quite so tightly.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
I don't want to work here, but I have to, hubby doesn't make enough. He was disillusioned about how much money he would be making once we got over here. Our son never goes without, but we'd like to have more money, so that we don't have to tie our purse strings quite so tightly.
I didn't mean that to come across as offensive (even though I don't feel you took it that way, I still wanted to say that ) - actually I was more or less joking.

My husband on his own hardly makes enough too, but I was in the fortunate position of being able to build savings so I could contribute from them instead of going to work. I do recognize that as being fortunate, and I must say I do feel priviledged to be able to be a SAHM.

I'm almost done with it again already though... in reality I am contemplating finding a part time job for during school hours. Just to get out there and meet some people... I always thought that sounded horrible since there are so many people who need a job to live, and I want it 'for fun'. But, those savings aren't going to last us forever and I feel it is better to be able to take my time finding a job, than having to go out there when it's already 'too late'. And my sanity counts for something too... some days the only person over 21 I talk to is my husband.... lol. I love him dearly, but 'that can't be good'.

Elaine
Old Jan 20th 2006, 1:54 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
that's a load of balls I'm talking about work places catering to a family friendly schedule....if it wasn't an issue..it wouldn't even be illegal for an interviewer to ask the question about kids

Bull ... that isn't what you said. You said:

"when is the stay- home mom gonna get the respect she deserves! I don't want to have to feel guilty for making my kids a priority

and when I want to go to work it's got to be 5 days a week from 8 til 3pm thankyouvery much WITH benefits......and don't step too close you might pop my bubble! "

I was responding to your first question not your second.

As for the second question, then work for a school system. Perfect hours for you and they get benefits too. I should know, my husband works in one and his benefits (healthwise are better than mine). Plus you can be off on school holidays (with pay) and on summer vacations (without pay).

Nothing wrong with wanting to work part time and that is what working under 35 hours a week is considered. You are listing a 35 hour week but with a lunch break definitely 30 to 32-1/2 hours.

Corporate life is willing to bend a bit if your skills are worthy of it but don't expect the moon and stars. Consider working p/t as having your vacation time spread out over a 5 day a week work schedule. Instead of two weeks a year in one holiday, you are getting your vacation 1 hour a day for the year.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 1:56 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
Oh please do.....*salivating at the thought of an all-outer coming up*..

I have NEVER come across a single person who is down on stay-at-home moms. The fact of the matter is that those in their late 20's/30's/early 40's are staying at home more than ever before to raise their kids, so they see no problem.

It is the older generation of women, those in their late 50's and 60's who have more of a problem due to thinking that we're 'letting the side down' so to speak.

Amend that to women and men in their late 40's and upward. It is not just a 50 and over issue. For that matter, I am in my 50's so I fit your stereotyping.

But then I was a single mom and worked, raised the kids and got a college degree without failing at anytime I did. I was one of the lucky ones to be able to balance the three balls without giving myself a concussion.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 3:40 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't mean that to come across as offensive (even though I don't feel you took it that way, I still wanted to say that ) - actually I was more or less joking.

My husband on his own hardly makes enough too, but I was in the fortunate position of being able to build savings so I could contribute from them instead of going to work. I do recognize that as being fortunate, and I must say I do feel priviledged to be able to be a SAHM.

I'm almost done with it again already though... in reality I am contemplating finding a part time job for during school hours. Just to get out there and meet some people... I always thought that sounded horrible since there are so many people who need a job to live, and I want it 'for fun'. But, those savings aren't going to last us forever and I feel it is better to be able to take my time finding a job, than having to go out there when it's already 'too late'. And my sanity counts for something too... some days the only person over 21 I talk to is my husband.... lol. I love him dearly, but 'that can't be good'.

Elaine
Just to clarify, I didn't take offence!!!

I just want to say well done for saving money up so that you could be a SAHM without too many financial problems. That's the sort of thing I like to hear, people taking extra precautions to ensure a good life, I like to hear it when people take charge, so well done to you!

I know what you mean about talking to an adult, that is why I am part of a playgroup, it's not just for the kids to interact, but for the mother's sanity too. I often go out on MNO's (Mum's night out) with them, it's a must for me. I will get a better job once all the kids are at school, but just during school hours, who knows I might be back home by then anyway.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Glasgowgirl
Just been to my first US interview (after the battles with USCIS to get my EAD!) and I'm 99.9% sure that I'll get offered the job.
So, to get back on topic....Did you get the job offer yet??
Old Jan 20th 2006, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Glasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to all

Just spoken to the guy at the company that I'd be reporting into and got the formal job offer. It's a lot better than I was anticipating and I also had quite an interesting chat about the other guy. He said that he can come across quite rude and agressive at first, but he believes in checking out that people can handle this because there's always the chance that you have to deal with this kind of attitude in the working environment. I guess that does ring true a bit because I'd be working with sales managers in almost every culture in the world. I still don't agree with the way he went about it but the fact that the other guy acknowledged it without me having to bring it up gives me slight peace of mind.

So I've decided to give it a go at least for a couple of months and see how it goes because the actual job itself really appeals to me, and it will give me great CV experience if and when we go back to the UK.

Thanks so much everyone for all your comments/advice, think I would have gone mad if it wasn't for you all!!
Old Jan 20th 2006, 6:58 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Just spoken to the guy at the company that I'd be reporting into and got the formal job offer. It's a lot better than I was anticipating and I also had quite an interesting chat about the other guy. He said that he can come across quite rude and agressive at first, but he believes in checking out that people can handle this because there's always the chance that you have to deal with this kind of attitude in the working environment. I guess that does ring true a bit because I'd be working with sales managers in almost every culture in the world. I still don't agree with the way he went about it but the fact that the other guy acknowledged it without me having to bring it up gives me slight peace of mind.

So I've decided to give it a go at least for a couple of months and see how it goes because the actual job itself really appeals to me, and it will give me great CV experience if and when we go back to the UK.

Thanks so much everyone for all your comments/advice, think I would have gone mad if it wasn't for you all!!
Well done
Old Jan 20th 2006, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Glasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Well done
Thanks. Feel relief that I've made the decision more than anything, not that I'm planning to tell them until Monday though! Would I be considered an alcoholic if I had a glass of wine at 11.58am??
Old Jan 20th 2006, 7:02 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Feel relief that I've made the decision more than anything, not that I'm planning to tell them until Monday though! Would I be considered an alcoholic if I had a glass of wine at 11.58am??
Yes, but its 12.01 now so crack on
Old Jan 20th 2006, 7:02 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!...hope it all works out well for you
Old Jan 20th 2006, 7:03 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

It IS 5 p.m. in the U.K., so you're off the alkie hook

Congrats
Old Jan 20th 2006, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Yes, but its 12.01 now so crack on

LOL - think I'll go on the assumption that it's 8pm on a Friday night Glasgow time, makes me feel a bit better!
Old Jan 20th 2006, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Old Jan 20th 2006, 7:28 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't mean that to come across as offensive
Strange ways... I always do ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.