Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job offer - opinions please!!

Job offer - opinions please!!

Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:00 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer - opinions please!!

Originally Posted by Partystar
Because it's discrimination against parents/women.
Devil's advocate time
Imagine that you are an employer. You advertise for a position and end up with a shortlist of two equally qualified and capable candidates. One is a 46 year old woman with 2 kids, both away from home at college. The other is a 28 year old woman who you believe may be keen on starting a family as she is recently married and came to the interview with a copy of 'Expectant Mother' magazine.
Who would you employ ???
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:01 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgowgirl
I've also just spoken to the nice guy at the company and asked about the person who was in the job before me and why they left (forgot this question yesterday in my shocked state). Seemed a pretty OK answer but he did let slip that there had been 8 people employed in the position in the last 10 years.....
Have you applied for the position of manager of Aston Villa football club ??
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:02 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgowgirl
Just been to my first US interview (after the battles with USCIS to get my EAD!) and I'm 99.9% sure that I'll get offered the job.

Job itself sounds good and I like the guy I'd be working for, but the owner/manager of the company spent most of the time telling me how he thought Brits were work-shy and how did we get anything done with the short hours we worked and when we took naps in the middle of the day (!!??) I answered all his objections which seemed to amuse him, but I lost count of the amount of times he stressed that it's not a 9-5 job (he reckons he works 5am-midnight) and that they don't do vacation time.

I'm aware of the diffrent culture here and have no problem working long hours with hardly any holidays, but I'm not sure if they sound extreme even for the US. As it was my first interview I don't have anything to compare it to so was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about it all. I'm aware that I'm lucky to get offered a job that I like so quickly given the problems I've read here that people seem to have, but also wary of taking the job for the wrong reasons when I'm unsure about the culture of the company.

Any thoughts? Cheers!
Tell him to go and ***** himself.. and have a nice day.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:05 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarlM
Tell him to go and ***** himself.. and have a nice day.
Or hopefully don't get the job ..then sue them for discrimination...
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:10 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Devil's advocate time
Imagine that you are an employer. You advertise for a position and end up with a shortlist of two equally qualified and capable candidates. One is a 46 year old woman with 2 kids, both away from home at college. The other is a 28 year old woman who you believe may be keen on starting a family as she is recently married and came to the interview with a copy of 'Expectant Mother' magazine.
Who would you employ ???

That's like saying..you are down to two qualified candidates...one is white, one is a minority. Hmmm...if they don't perform well and I need to terminate their employment, who is less likely to sue me for discrimination?

That's why there are laws in place to avoid discrimination.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:12 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Devil's advocate time
Who would you employ ???
The one who was better for the job. Social life should never be a factor, you would just be generalising.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:19 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

One of the major German investment banks is being sued for more than $1 BILLION in the US courts by some of its female staff - mainly because of the behaviour of the 'City boys' in London's square mile. Newsaper headlines were 'Bankers Behaving Badly' and 'Sexism in the City' :

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...5660_1,00.html

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/b...397018?source=

Personally I think these women are probably really scary hard-nosed bitches with no sense of humour.... ok, they have been subjected to some discrimination but come on, they want more than $100 million each for their 'suffering'?????. They are not helping other women at all and possibly making men afraid to employ them.

Last edited by Englishmum; Jan 19th 2006 at 7:21 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:23 pm
Thinking about it

The one who was better for the job. Social life should never be a factor, you would just be generalising.
I was going to post a reply to this, but I don't want certain people on these boards coming out and hurling abuse at me so I won't bother, though I do enjoy debating subjects like this.
Suffice it to say I think that this is an extremely complex issue
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:24 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

ah but I think it is see, that's why I'm surprised it's illegal to ask...obviously the woman with 3 young children would be less readily available to work night weekends holidays etc...if those hours where required......of course it is an assumption, she may have a slew of family members to take care of her kids etc...so I see the point from both sides really

I recently went for a lowly job interview and claimed I could be available all hours( i could for at least a month so it was only a white lie) anyway I voluntarily gave the info about my kids...how else do I explain away all these years of no work?.....I'm in a catch 22

Anyway ..I'd gotten the feeling a red flag had gone up....even the problems of sick kids babysitters was mentioned......it's nuts that these companies expected you to work all hours and give you crap pay.....even friends with degrees who are looking on returning to work are facing these probs cos of needing a family friendly work schedule...so it's not just me
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:26 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Pigtails
That's like saying..you are down to two qualified candidates...one is white, one is a minority. Hmmm...if they don't perform well and I need to terminate their employment, who is less likely to sue me for discrimination?

That's why there are laws in place to avoid discrimination.
Best not to make this a legal as well as a moral discussion - that law is not always correct and is always open to abuse.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:28 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
ah but I think it is see, that's why I'm surprised it's illegal to ask...obviously the woman with 3 young children would be less readily available to work night weekends holidays etc...if those hours where required......of course it is an assumption, she may have a slew of family members to take care of her kids etc...so I see the point from both sides really

I recently went for a lowly job interview and claimed I could be available all hours( i could for at least a month so it was only a white lie) anyway I voluntarily gave the info about my kids...how else do I explain away all these years of no work?.....I'm in a catch 22

Anyway ..I'd gotten the feeling a red flag had gone up....even the problems of sick kids babysitters was mentioned......it's nuts that these companies expected you to work all hours and give you crap pay.....even friends with degrees who are looking on returning to work are facing these probs cos of needing a family friendly work schedule...so it's not just me
I can't karma you for this, so all I'll say is... nice post
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:29 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to post a reply to this, but I don't want certain people on these boards coming out and hurling abuse at me so I won't bother, though I do enjoy debating subjects like this.
Suffice it to say I think that this is an extremely complex issue
I like a good debate, I often like bad ones too!!! Don't hide your true feelings, come on out & say what you wanna say! I'll love you for your honesty alone!
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:32 pm
Thinking about it

I like a good debate, I often like bad ones too!!! Don't hide your true feelings, come on out & say what you wanna say! I'll love you for your honesty alone!
No - i do actually have some work to do this afternoon so don't want to start a riot on here at the same time
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:33 pm
Back where I belong!

No - i do actually have some work to do this afternoon so don't want to start a riot on here at the same time
Chicken!
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Wise Man, although I love reading a good riot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.