Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job offer - opinions please!!

Job offer - opinions please!!

Old Jan 19th 2006, 9:07 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer - opinions please!!

Originally Posted by britvic
My what a lovely Man you are Davy, thankyou for such kind words. x.
Why thank you, but then again the stay at home mums are only one side of the coin now, aren't they
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
He is after something ....
Any spare change guv'nor ??
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Well he is my little friend alright "blesshim".
Old Jan 19th 2006, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Why thank you, but then again the stay at home mums are only one side of the coin now, aren't they
Yes those of us who choose to stay at home thats all thanks to our hubby's, believe me I would not want my husbands job.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 9:15 am
Thinking about it

Yes those of us who choose to stay at home thats all thanks to our hubby's, believe me I would not want my husbands job.
Nope, I don't mean the husbands - i mean the "career" mums (/parents).
Old Jan 19th 2006, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
obviously the woman with 3 young children would be less readily available to work night weekends holidays etc...if those hours where required......of course it is an assumption, she may have a slew of family members to take care of her kids etc...so I see the point from both sides really
Why obviously? You already mentioned the 'slew of family members' (regardless of the fact why it takes a slew of people to do one woman's job? Guess moms really are superheroes after all ). But where is the father of those three kids? Why do mothers have to make career sacrifices (unless they so choose) and not the fathers? Would an employer aks a man if he had any kids and was planning to have more? Okay, I know that having a baby takes more out of a woman than a man - she's physically carrying the child. But an employer wouldn't care if he had a guy in front of him with 3 young children. They assume that the mom will be there to pick up the slack. Why is that? And if someone is going to answer that, then think about it - that should change. I am definitely not a feminist (don't see myself as such anyway) but I always get severly annoyed when a man and a woman have a child together and the father thinks (or society thinks) he has to do less because he is a man. Then when they divorce the guys (and society) bitch and moan about visiting time with their kids and mean mommies.

GRRR.

Elaine
Old Jan 19th 2006, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

I object to that. Now that I'm married, I am a SAHM but I worked darn hard to save up so much money that I could pitch in financially for our family out of my savings instead of a job. Yes, if I didn't have a husband I would have to work because I can't live on savings alone (not for long anyway), but it is definitely not 'all thanks to my husband' that I have the option to be a SAHM now. Also, if I hadn't married him in the first place, I would have still been in another country and in my old job.

Elaine
Old Jan 19th 2006, 9:29 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
Why obviously? You already mentioned the 'slew of family members' (regardless of the fact why it takes a slew of people to do one woman's job? Guess moms really are superheroes after all ). But where is the father of those three kids? Why do mothers have to make career sacrifices (unless they so choose) and not the fathers? Would an employer aks a man if he had any kids and was planning to have more? Okay, I know that having a baby takes more out of a woman than a man - she's physically carrying the child. But an employer wouldn't care if he had a guy in front of him with 3 young children. They assume that the mom will be there to pick up the slack. Why is that? And if someone is going to answer that, then think about it - that should change. I am definitely not a feminist (don't see myself as such anyway) but I always get severly annoyed when a man and a woman have a child together and the father thinks (or society thinks) he has to do less because he is a man. Then when they divorce the guys (and society) bitch and moan about visiting time with their kids and mean mommies.

GRRR.

Elaine
The parents need to get together and decide who is going to look after the kids, whether it be the man, woman or grandparents/extended family - I don't care who does it, but someone has to.
What gets my goat is parents who expect employers to make concessions for them just because they have kids. If you're a parent and you want to work part-time then accept part-time wages - don't expect your colleagues to work harder on your behalf for no extra reward whilst you have your cake and eat it.
If you have kids it is your responsibility to look after them and no-one else's.

If you can't spare the time or the cash to look after your own offspring then don't have then in the first place you stupid people

Ok, rant over
Old Jan 19th 2006, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I object to that. Now that I'm married, I am a SAHM but I worked darn hard to save up so much money that I could pitch in financially for our family out of my savings instead of a job. Yes, if I didn't have a husband I would have to work because I can't live on savings alone (not for long anyway), but it is definitely not 'all thanks to my husband' that I have the option to be a SAHM now. Also, if I hadn't married him in the first place, I would have still been in another country and in my old job.

Elaine
Well same here, if I had not married him I would still be at home in my old job. I just want to be a SAHM untill little man goes to school, by the way I am allowd to work in this country.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

by the way I am allowd to work in this country.
So am I, I just don't want to now.

Elaine
Old Jan 19th 2006, 1:27 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Stay at home mums (or stay at home parents full stop) should be revered and honoured by the rest of us.
Not only are they largely responsible for caring for the next generations, but they have been prepared to sacrifice some of their own career goals in order to do so.
Their realism, stoicism and selflessness should be applauded.
Thank you.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 1:28 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
My heart?!?!
Old Jan 19th 2006, 1:29 pm
Back where I belong!

Nope, I don't mean the husbands - i mean the "career" mums (/parents).
What about them?
Old Jan 19th 2006, 1:44 pm
Back where I belong!

Elaine
I understand what you mean, I feel the same way. Luckily I have a superb husband who tells me on a regular basis that he doesn't know how I do it. He always says that he couldn't do what I do & you know what, he's probably right!!!

I know for a fact that we would be rolling in it if we were still in England. I left my home & family for him & he's always mindful of that. He also realises that even after having our son, I'd be making more money back home in England than I could ever imagine making here (I worked from home in England & work from home here too). I had the perfect job, great money, loads of annual leave, I usually only worked 30 hours a week & I chose my days/hours etc.

But I gave it all up for him. Yes, we've had to make major sacrifices, but that's life & I promised him I'd give it a shot here for a couple of years before I decided if it was for me or not. He's open to moving back to England, as long as I at least give it a try here. I just want what's best for our little family.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 1:45 pm
Back where I belong!

The parents need to get together and decide who is going to look after the kids, whether it be the man, woman or grandparents/extended family - I don't care who does it, but someone has to.
What gets my goat is parents who expect employers to make concessions for them just because they have kids. If you're a parent and you want to work part-time then accept part-time wages - don't expect your colleagues to work harder on your behalf for no extra reward whilst you have your cake and eat it.
If you have kids it is your responsibility to look after them and no-one else's.

If you can't spare the time or the cash to look after your own offspring then don't have then in the first place you stupid people

Ok, rant over
I completely agree with you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.