Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job offer - opinions please!!

Job offer - opinions please!!

Old Jan 20th 2006, 7:31 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer - opinions please!!

Originally Posted by Ray
Strange ways... I always do ....
..successfully, too.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 7:34 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
As for the second question, then work for a school system. Perfect hours for you and they get benefits too. I should know, my husband works in one and his benefits (healthwise are better than mine). Plus you can be off on school holidays (with pay) and on summer vacations (without pay).

Nothing wrong with wanting to work part time and that is what working under 35 hours a week is considered. You are listing a 35 hour week but with a lunch break definitely 30 to 32-1/2 hours.
actually this is something I'm working on now, I actually have found the perfect job for me but alas right now it's just sub work...I'm trying to get my foot in the door Unfortunatley I have 64 college hours but no degree so it looks like it may always be sub work (no benefits) but that's something I'll eventually work on too...besides when the kids are grown I can work full-time..and beleive me I'm in no hurry to do that

As for the other stuff it's not really my gripe ...I loved being a stay home mom and was never torn between choosing a career/family cos I never had one(career) I do have friends though who've put their careers on hold and then feel torn between wanting the best of both worlds, seems for them the part time option would be perfect but it just isn't available.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 2:56 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgowgirl
Just been to my first US interview (after the battles with USCIS to get my EAD!) and I'm 99.9% sure that I'll get offered the job.

Job itself sounds good and I like the guy I'd be working for, but the owner/manager of the company spent most of the time telling me how he thought Brits were work-shy and how did we get anything done with the short hours we worked and when we took naps in the middle of the day (!!??) I answered all his objections which seemed to amuse him, but I lost count of the amount of times he stressed that it's not a 9-5 job (he reckons he works 5am-midnight) and that they don't do vacation time.

I'm aware of the diffrent culture here and have no problem working long hours with hardly any holidays, but I'm not sure if they sound extreme even for the US. As it was my first interview I don't have anything to compare it to so was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about it all. I'm aware that I'm lucky to get offered a job that I like so quickly given the problems I've read here that people seem to have, but also wary of taking the job for the wrong reasons when I'm unsure about the culture of the company.

Any thoughts? Cheers!
Bit late in the day but don't take it!
Old Jan 21st 2006, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

Shish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really nice

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
and why can't an employer ask about kids then? ...I'd say it was a very valid question because if you have kids you have other HUGE commitments and prob won't be avaliable from 5a.m til midnight

signed ..desperate housewife
It is against the law to ask if you have kids as it is considered discrimination just because you have kids doesn’t mean you can't hold a job. Starting at 5am should not be a problem I have to do it some times and it never caused me any problems. My husband just has to get up early and drop my dd off to daycare.

In California the regular working day is 8 hours and if you work anything over that in each day you must be paid at time and a half over time rate by law.

Personally if it was me thinking about that job I would look else were.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 4:58 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

So I've decided to give it a go at least for a couple of months and see how it goes
Good luck on that one! I'm sure you'll be fine.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Devil's advocate time
Imagine that you are an employer. You advertise for a position and end up with a shortlist of two equally qualified and capable candidates. One is a 46 year old woman with 2 kids, both away from home at college. The other is a 28 year old woman who you believe may be keen on starting a family as she is recently married and came to the interview with a copy of 'Expectant Mother' magazine.
Who would you employ ???
Well I'd love to be in a position where I actually have two equally qualified and capable candidates at the interview stage - normally there is always a very clear 1st runner in both my UK and US interviewing experience.

If I have a good candidate and she may get pregnant in the future so what, I could also have a good candidate who may leave the company for another job in the future...it seriously doesn't cross my mind when interviewing. My main questions are

i) Can they do the job?
ii) Can I get along with this person?

Conversely when I'm going for a job interview my main questions are

i) Will I be happy doing the job?
ii) Do I think I can get along easily with the person who interviewed me?

So it's a two way process.

L
Old Jan 21st 2006, 1:08 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shish kebab
...In California the regular working day is 8 hours and if you work anything over that in each day you must be paid at time and a half over time rate by law...
I doubt that's the whole story (although it's CA, so who knows?).

Everywhere I've worked in the US, workers have been divided into those who are paid an hourly rate and receive overtime, and those who are salaried and don't.

You're right that a (usually lower paid) hourly wage worker gets time-and-a-half overtime beyond 40hrs per week, and often double-time on Sundays/Holidays.

Most salaried workers have a clause in their contract saying that they will be expected to frequently work beyond the core 40hr work week, and that any additional hours worked will not be paid.

This is often offset slightly by having additional benefits such as unlimited sick days, flexible working hours and/or personal time allowance for salaried workers.

I'm able to work fully flexible hours so long as I work >80hrs in any two-week period, and I'm allowed unlimited sick days and, at my manager's discretion, unlimited "personal" time. For me, that all outweighs the lack of overtime payment, even though I typically work ~10hrs overtime per week.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 2:15 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Nothing wrong with wanting to work part time and that is what working under 35 hours a week is considered. You are listing a 35 hour week but with a lunch break definitely 30 to 32-1/2 hours.
Depends on the employer. Where I work, 32 hours/week is considered full-time. And I only get 30 mins for lunch. Next week I'm scheduled to work 10.30am to 6.30pm for five days, and even with 30 mins for lunch I'm still considered full-time. Mark's employer defines full-time as 32 hours minimum, also, although he's been lucky and actually has been working 40-hour weeks since he started.

I should mention we both work in retail, so maybe it's an industry thing.

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
and why can't an employer ask about kids then? ...I'd say it was a very valid question because if you have kids you have other HUGE commitments and prob won't be avaliable from 5a.m til midnight
For the same reason they can't ask if you have a chronic illness that will require frequent trips to the doctor, or if you have an elderly, ailing parent who needs a lot of care and attention. Or for women, if you are pregnant or plan to get pregnant in the near future. That's your private information, but moreover, it is illegal for them to ask about it.

Everyone has commitments, but that doesn't mean the potential employer has the right to know every detail about one's personal life in order to decide whether to hire that person or not.

~ Jenney
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I doubt that's the whole story (although it's CA, so who knows?).

Everywhere I've worked in the US, workers have been divided into those who are paid an hourly rate and receive overtime, and those who are salaried and don't.

You're right that a (usually lower paid) hourly wage worker gets time-and-a-half overtime beyond 40hrs per week, and often double-time on Sundays/Holidays.

Most salaried workers have a clause in their contract saying that they will be expected to frequently work beyond the core 40hr work week, and that any additional hours worked will not be paid.

This is often offset slightly by having additional benefits such as unlimited sick days, flexible working hours and/or personal time allowance for salaried workers.

I'm able to work fully flexible hours so long as I work >80hrs in any two-week period, and I'm allowed unlimited sick days and, at my manager's discretion, unlimited "personal" time. For me, that all outweighs the lack of overtime payment, even though I typically work ~10hrs overtime per week.
Yes, it's the same in CA. Exempt and non-exempt, although I can never remember which way round it is.

I've never been paid overtime either in the UK and the US, and nor would I want to be. However, I've always had a job where I can work pretty much when (and now where I want) and the stock options have often been rather lucrative... if this wasn't the case, I'd almost certainly feel rather differently.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Glasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to all

OK - new take on this....

As I mentioned I spoke to the nice guy at the company on Friday and was pretty happy with the offer he made me. However I now have the full offer.....

Pros - good base salary and fair incentive plan

Cons - no vacation time, no sick days, no 401K, no health cover for first 3 months

Given that I'm going in at manager level, I expected a couple of sick days, 10 vacation days (knew it wouldn't be more than that) and some kind of 401K plan. My husband's colleague is here at the moment (US born and bred) and reckons that they are pretty poor for a US employer.

I think I'm back to my initial thoughts of declining to job - right?
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:25 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Cons - no vacation time, no sick days
Is this permanent, or for x number of months? If it's permanent, then it's negotiation time. And be tough - you were already on the fence, finding another job IS an option for you. Some people trade salary for vacation, but I wouldn't recommend it as a starting position.

BTW, looks like you've found out why they have high turnover. Suggest to them that they can help you help them lower that turnover number.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:25 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Given that I'm going in at manager level,
This means they are avoiding paying overtime. Nothing more, nothing less!
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:27 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

As I mentioned I spoke to the nice guy at the company on Friday and was pretty happy with the offer he made me. However I now have the full offer.....

Cons - no vacation time, no sick days, no 401K, no health cover for first 3 months

Given that I'm going in at manager level, I expected a couple of sick days, 10 vacation days (knew it wouldn't be more than that) and some kind of 401K plan. My husband's colleague is here at the moment (US born and bred) and reckons that they are pretty poor for a US employer.

Is that no vacation/sick days/401K & health care for 3 months or no vacation/sick days & 401K at all & no health care for first 3 months?
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Glasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Partystar
Is that no vacation/sick days/401K & health care for 3 months or no vacation/sick days & 401K at all & no health care for first 3 months?

The job is permanent. No vacation/sick days for the first year and then 10 days vacation OR sick days thereafter. No healthcare for the first 3 months. No 401K plan at all exists within the company for any employees (or so they say!)

No mention either of public holidays but to be fair I haven't questioned them on that yet.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Glasgow Girl,

The Cons are pretty much the standard in US Travel Companies......I work for one!

Are the first 3 months classed as a Probationary Period?

I had 5 days vacation for my first 5 years, which increased to 10 after that, and now I'm upto 15 (Woo-Hoo!).

I say take the job. You will make some useful connections, and, will have an opportunity to move on.....once you meet the right people

Good Luck!

Jim.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.