Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job offer - opinions please!!

Job offer - opinions please!!

Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:39 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer - opinions please!!

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I can't karma you for this, so all I'll say is... nice post
haha just cos I prove your point

I'm no feminist....I have friends who left professions to raise their kids..I hear their gripes and concerns....heck and they are lawyers / doctors...there's no bloody hope for me!

reality is women do get preggers have kids....can't we revolve work schedules around this...shouldn't society value the family unit...no wonder everything is so ****ed up...latch key kids etc etc parents slogging their guts out coming home knackerd.......to be honest i have no clue how single parents keep their heads above water....... :scared:

when is the stay- home mom gonna get the respect she deserves! I don't want to have to feel guilty for making my kids a priority

and when I want to go to work it's got to be 5 days a week from 8 til 3pm thankyouvery much WITH benefits......and don't step too close you might pop my bubble!
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:56 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel

I'm no feminist....I have friends who left professions to raise their kids..I hear their gripes and concerns....heck and they are lawyers / doctors...there's no bloody hope for me!

reality is women do get preggers have kids....can't we revolve work schedules around this...shouldn't society value the family unit...no wonder everything is so ****ed up...latch key kids etc etc parents slogging their guts out coming home knackerd.......to be honest i have no clue how single parents keep their heads above water....... :scared:

when is the stay- home mom gonna get the respect she deserves! I don't want to have to feel guilty for making my kids a priority
and when I want to go to work it's got to be 5 days a week from 8 til 3pm thankyouvery much WITH benefits......and don't step too close you might pop my bubble!
Nowt wrong with that! That's me, we chose when we wanted to have a baby & part of the plan is that I stay home with him all day. However, I do work part time from home, while I look after him. I may need to get another job to make ends meet, but that will be in the evenings & weekends, so that hubby will be home with our son. It works for us & we work damn hard to make it work too!
Old Jan 19th 2006, 8:05 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

No - i actually meant nice looking post - good use of smileys
Old Jan 19th 2006, 8:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul_TX
Hey Glasgowgirl, is it the first job you have applied for or the first interview you have had?

If it's the first job you have applied for I would say take a look around. There are some excellent travel companies out there who would jump at your experience. I work for a division of Travelocity (we're owned by Sabre) and they are always looking for good people. Here's a link to their jobs page...
http://svc.travelocity.com/about/abo...BS_LOC,00.html

Take a look at the Sabre jobs too from the same link.

Goos Luck in whatever you decide!
My daughter has worked in that field all her adult life and never has run into a company such as that. Yes, she mainly didn't take a lunch hour, rather ate at her desk, because she was the assistant director of the company and her bossed in the field a lot so she was in charge. Even so it was basically 9 to 5, Monday through Friday with some traveling to Brazil and San Paolo every few months.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 8:13 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

No - i actually meant nice looking post - good use of smileys

shouldn't you be working?
Old Jan 19th 2006, 8:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

When the stay-at-home mom stops feeling she has to be apologetic for making motherhood a career option and when the stay-at-home mom stops trying to make us for guilty for trying to do it all, whether by choice or necessity. ;-)
Old Jan 19th 2006, 8:17 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

shouldn't you be working?
I'm on a conference call - haven't said a word for 25 minutes since they started arguing over the wording of one sentance.
If I was to open my mouth I'd be afraid that I'd go off on one and get sacked
Old Jan 19th 2006, 8:24 pm
Back Again

Originally Posted by Rete
When the stay-at-home mom stops feeling she has to be apologetic for making motherhood a career option and when the stay-at-home mom stops trying to make us for guilty for trying to do it all, whether by choice or necessity. ;-)
that's a load of balls I'm talking about work places catering to a family friendly schedule....if it wasn't an issue..it wouldn't even be illegal for an interviewer to ask the question about kids
Old Jan 19th 2006, 8:46 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by britvic
Wise Man, although I love reading a good riot.
Oh please do.....*salivating at the thought of an all-outer coming up*..

I have NEVER come across a single person who is down on stay-at-home moms. The fact of the matter is that those in their late 20's/30's/early 40's are staying at home more than ever before to raise their kids, so they see no problem.

It is the older generation of women, those in their late 50's and 60's who have more of a problem due to thinking that we're 'letting the side down' so to speak.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 8:55 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by izibear
Oh please do.....*salivating at the thought of an all-outer coming up*..

I have NEVER come across a single person who is down on stay-at-home moms. The fact of the matter is that those in their late 20's/30's/early 40's are staying at home more than ever before to raise their kids, so they see no problem.

It is the older generation of women, those in their late 50's and 60's who have more of a problem due to thinking that we're 'letting the side down' so to speak.

I personally know several stay at home dads too. It's becoming the norm now and no big deal. CA, I think there is more respect for you out there than you realize. Anyone who isn't giving you the respect likely isn't anyone worth worrying about!!
Old Jan 19th 2006, 8:57 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Glasgowgirl
Seemed a pretty OK answer but he did let slip that there had been 8 people employed in the position in the last 10 years.....
That wouldn't upset me much. People in the US move for 50c/hr more. Pretty ordinary.

As to this :

Tha
t's the thing that is annoying me, if I had another offer I wouldn't even consider this company. I guess my main fear is rejecting this job and then struggling to get another offer. I have just stated looking in the last few weeks but I'm well aware how hard it can be.
I recall years ago coming back from vacation and finding the company going into liquidation in an impossible job market, major recession at the time. Went for an interview, got pestered by the boss to join the company, but it just didn't feel right. Needed the job desperately, but decided to sit it out. Went for countless interviews but only got a job a month later. The best company I've ever worked for, the people were superb, and I've worked for quite a few before we got our own biz. I say go with your gut.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 9:00 pm
Thinking about it

Stay at home mums (or stay at home parents full stop) should be revered and honoured by the rest of us.
Not only are they largely responsible for caring for the next generations, but they have been prepared to sacrifice some of their own career goals in order to do so.
Their realism, stoicism and selflessness should be applauded.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 9:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Stay at home mums (or stay at home parents full stop) should be revered and honoured by the rest of us.
Not only are they largely responsible for caring for the next generations, but they have been prepared to sacrifice some of their own career goals in order to do so.Their realism, stoicism and selflessness should be applauded.
And they get time to spend all day on this channel ..
Old Jan 19th 2006, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Not only are they largely responsible for caring for the next generations, but they have been prepared to sacrifice some of their own career goals in order to do so.
Their realism, stoicism and selflessness should be applauded.
My what a lovely Man you are Davy, thankyou for such kind words. x.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 9:05 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
My what a lovely Man you are Davy, thankyou for such kind words. x.
He is after something ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.