Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I want to move to Clearwater, Tampa or Orlando Florida. Help!

I want to move to Clearwater, Tampa or Orlando Florida. Help!

Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I want to move to Clearwater, Tampa or Orlando Florida. Help!

Originally Posted by Mai838
Ok boiler. Do you mean your friends don't make much money after the fees?
Tokenistic but helps contribute to the costs, I did mention this to them before they bought it, think they were expecting a bit more of a return.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Mai838 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there anywhere else in America with sun and beach besides California that's more easier and cheap to buy? Or is this idea just a no no...
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:59 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Is there anywhere else in America with sun and beach besides California that's more easier and cheap to buy? Or is this idea just a no no...
Anywhere along that south-eastern coast. Virginia, Georgia, the Carolinas etc.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:59 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Everywhere in the country will come with the same caveats regarding the time you can spend at the house and the maintenance of the property.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wintersong
No - it would help with moving here permanently, but if you have no intention of working here it's not going to be an option I don't think.

Basically, in order to move here permanently at any time in your life, including after retirement, you'd have to qualify for a visa through work (your option here is O1) or through family (if you have no US relatives and are not planning to marry a US citizen, you won't be able to do this) or through investment (requires a LOT of cash). If none of those pathways are suitable for you, your only option is always going to be as a visitor, not as a resident.
Oh right. I got you! Sometimes I regret not going for the visa years ago but I didn't want to live in New York at that time.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

The issues pointed out by everyone here, apply to wherever you might buy in the US, not just Florida, except possibly hurricanes and Alligators.

If you are looking for extended holidays and a relaxing hassle free lifestyle then a long term rental would be a much better option
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Tokenistic but helps contribute to the costs, I did mention this to them before they bought it, think they were expecting a bit more of a return.
I see. It would be a bonus to invest and get some return but it's not why I'm wanting it.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

If you have the money buying is not difficult.

Have you looked at North Carolina?
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

I see. It would be a bonus to invest and get some return but it's not why I'm wanting it.
It does not break even, I think they thought it might, I told them that was unlikely.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 7:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The pitfalls are the same in all states. You could probably buy for less in states to the north and northwest of Florida (Georgia, S Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana), but there is bu99er all to do, so much less tourist potential, apart from isolated beach/coast resort areas, and in many cases, less "safe".
Originally Posted by Boiler
.... Have you looked at North Carolina?
Bü99er off!

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 22nd 2016 at 7:05 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Anywhere along that south-eastern coast. Virginia, Georgia, the Carolinas etc.
I loved the North Carolina. It's super far though from UK. Georgia was nice but didn't see much of it and Virginia was too far to go at the time so I didn't get to visit but I do like those kind of places. I think the flights are for hours though right?
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 7:05 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

I loved the North Carolina. It's super far though from UK. Georgia was nice but didn't see much of it and Virginia was too far to go at the time so I didn't get to visit but I do like those kind of places. I think the flights are for hours though right?
It's closer than Florida...
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
The issues pointed out by everyone here, apply to wherever you might buy in the US, not just Florida, except possibly hurricanes and Alligators.

If you are looking for extended holidays and a relaxing hassle free lifestyle then a long term rental would be a much better option
Yes bubble. Alligators? Lots in the swamps
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The pitfalls are the same in all states. You could probably buy for less in states to the north and northwest of Florida (Georgia, S Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana), but there is bu99er all to do, so much less tourist potential, apart from isolated beach/coast resort areas, and in many cases, less "safe".

Bü99er off!
Pulaski, thank you. Your funny. Yes, I did sense there was buggery nothing to do there. Dead but massive beaches in the carolinas. I been to all those places and your right. I love them because it was quiet but I think I'd be very bored and lonely on my own
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 7:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to move to Clearwater, Tampa or Orlando Florida. Help

Welcome to BE...and kudos to you for taking the comments in this thread in good spirit.

Owning homes in different countries is extremely expensive. It's already been mentioned...whether you have a house or condo...you will need to run the air con most of the year. If you own a house you will need to pay for garden and probably pool maintence throughout the year. On top of that...there's bugs...services of a regular exterminator is also recommended. If you buy a condo...there are monthly condo fees. You will probably need to buy a car...unless you plan on renting a vehicle. You will also need to buy furniture, linens etc.

The properties you have mentioned seem very cheap...there is probably a very good reason for that...buyer beware!

When you come to sell...you will probably be paying 6% realtor fees...plus income tax on the profit.

There is also the headache of owning property that is stood empty for months on end...because of that you may not be able to get property insurance.

I know this because we have owned properties in the UK, US and Canada. We have looked into buying a winter home in Florida many times...but the cons always seem to outweigh the pros.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 22nd 2016 at 7:14 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.