Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I want to move to Clearwater, Tampa or Orlando Florida. Help!

I want to move to Clearwater, Tampa or Orlando Florida. Help!

Old Mar 22nd 2016, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Mai838 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I want to move to Clearwater, Tampa or Orlando Florida. Help!

Wow.. This is such good information. Things I didn't think about in to that much detail. Thank you for all making this more realistic to me. That's funny about the jungle hehehe! But very true. And the AC.. Yes, I guess it would cost a fortune in the humidity in Florida. My mother complains with the AC always breaking down in Hong Kong. I had no idea about the roof and poor quality of toilets etc. I do notice that's problem and not as good at the UK though when I'm away. Gosh, I see what you mean about the ESTA too. You explained that so clearly thank you. Yes, I'm not retired yet and I might be able to afford to live there for a number of years but I don't think I'd qualify or simply being rich!!! OMG... This really helps. Thank you everyone and I'm sorry if I said the word negative but now that you've all explained it in more depth I understand more.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 1:56 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mai838
Yes, I'm not retired yet and I might be able to afford to live there for a number of years but I don't think I'd qualify or simply being rich!!! .
You do understand that, even when you are retired, you would still not be able to live in the US full time without a visa? The best you could hope for would be a B2, allowing you six months out of any twelve, at the whim of what the officer at the PO had for breakfast that day.

Also, it sounds as if you have been in contact with the owner of a house you are interested in. Even if you decided to go ahead, please do not purchase anything sight unseen. You haven't a clue what kind of neighborhood the house might be in, or the condition of the structure. There is probably a very good reason why it is so cheap!
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have not found any m� jor issues with US toilets.

I h� ve friends with a condo in Florida, they seem to visit about 4 times a year, family and friends use it. Management comp� ny also let it out but after the fees the contribution is pretty small.

They bought it cash, might say max money, so no biggie.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 3:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
..... They bought it cash, .....
Lots of people buy for cash in Florida. They often aren't people you want to hang out with.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 3:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Lots of people buy for cash in Florida. They often aren't people you want to hang out with.
Obviously trying to finance such a purpose for a holiday home would not be easy or cheap.

I am beginning to understand however your last PM.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

I have not found any m� jor issues with US toilets.

I h� ve friends with a condo in Florida, they seem to visit about 4 times a year, family and friends use it. Management comp� ny also let it out but after the fees the contribution is pretty small.
No, only with US keyboards, it seems.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
No, only with US keyboards, it seems.
Switched, must have wanted to use the Pound sign.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 4:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously trying to finance such a purpose for a holiday home would not be easy or cheap. ....
Sometimes it's more about having to find a use for your cash.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 5:29 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Just about everyone on here has gone through the process of entering the US to live and work legitimately on one visa or another. It's not until you go through the process that you fully understand how difficult it actually is to move here legally, so what seems like negativity is just realism unfortunately.

If your long term goal is to retire to Florida, unless you are very wealthy that seems an unlikely scenario for you as you haven't given any information which would suggest that you are eligible for a visa. Unlike the EU countries, a British citizen can't up sticks and move to the US unless they qualify for one of the visas.

There's nothing to stop you buying property, of course, but as others have pointed out there are some major pitfalls involved with owning a house in another country and leaving it empty for more than half of the year, not least of which is ongoing maintenance. Without a means of moving to the US to occupy the house, I'd think very carefully about whether or not you want to take on the risks.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 5:31 pm
Account Closed

OP mentioned an O1 as an option.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 5:35 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

OP mentioned an O1 as an option.
But s/he doesn't want to live here until s/he retires, which would seem to rule out a non-immigrant worker's visa.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 5:37 pm
Account Closed

I assumed a she. Not sure why.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 5:42 pm

I assumed a she. Not sure why.
I don't know many men called "Mai", which is a common enough spelling of "May" used in the Far East. ..... The OP said her parents live in Hong Kong.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themadpooper
Out of interest, what are the rules on obtaining a green card through ownership of a company? I know someone in this boat and they're in the process of applying for a green card. Is there an income level the company needs to be bringing in or is it just the amount of employees? This individual has been living in the States for several years on a work visa but it's coming up to 7 years so can't renew
This is not relevant to the OP, you should start your own thread to ask this.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody has mentioned taxes or health insurance yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.