Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I want to move to Clearwater, Tampa or Orlando Florida. Help!

I want to move to Clearwater, Tampa or Orlando Florida. Help!

Old Mar 22nd 2016, 5:54 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to move to Clearwater, Tampa or Orlando Florida. Help!

Originally Posted by Boiler
I assumed a she. Not sure why.
Me too, based on username and style of writing. I originally typed she, but amended it when I realised they'd never specified
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 5:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
This is not relevant to the OP, you should start your own thread to ask this.
I started one for him in the US Visa forum.

Rene
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Mai838 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, no I would definitely view the place first. thank you so much nutmeg. I didn't know that about retirement until you all told me. Now I understand.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Ok sorry guys. I'm a bit slow on here. For some reason I see messages popping up all of a sudden from different places it seems. Then it asks me to login all the time. Having to scroll up and down to make I've not missed anyone
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

I have not found any m� jor issues with US toilets.

I h� ve friends with a condo in Florida, they seem to visit about 4 times a year, family and friends use it. Management comp� ny also let it out but after the fees the contribution is pretty small.

They bought it cash, might say max money, so no biggie.

Ok boiler. Do you mean your friends don't make much money after the fees?
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mai838
Ok sorry guys. I'm a bit slow on here. For some reason I see messages popping up all of a sudden from different places it seems. Then it asks me to login all the time. Having to scroll up and down to make I've not missed anyone
You might want to go back to the start of the thread because it had been quite busy, and almost frantic at times, and you might have missed some posts, especially near the bottom of one page when posts start appearing on a new page - there are 15 posts per page.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Sometimes it's more about having to find a use for your cash.
Yes, I'm stuck with that. I just want to put the money in to good use but got no idea.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Just about everyone on here has gone through the process of entering the US to live and work legitimately on one visa or another. It's not until you go through the process that you fully understand how difficult it actually is to move here legally, so what seems like negativity is just realism unfortunately.

If your long term goal is to retire to Florida, unless you are very wealthy that seems an unlikely scenario for you as you haven't given any information which would suggest that you are eligible for a visa. Unlike the EU countries, a British citizen can't up sticks and move to the US unless they qualify for one of the visas.

There's nothing to stop you buying property, of course, but as others have pointed out there are some major pitfalls involved with owning a house in another country and leaving it empty for more than half of the year, not least of which is ongoing maintenance. Without a means of moving to the US to occupy the house, I'd think very carefully about whether or not you want to take on the risks.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Thank you Wintersong. You've all made me rethink. It is a risk and sounds like a headache I'm not prepared for. I gave up my business last year due to health and stress so I don't want a repeat episode. I thought of a calm lifestyle which I've never had before. This is what made me think of buying abroad. A safe security for my future but it doesn't seem worth it now. Very sad today but at least your all sharing your experiences with me. I'm ever so grateful to every single person here. Thank you.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

OP mentioned an O1 as an option.
Yes Boiler. I qualify for a O1 visa. A unique visa apparently because of my profession.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:47 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Boiler. I qualify for a O1 visa. A unique visa apparently because of my profession.
If you qualify, maybe it would be worth thinking about moving here a few years prior to retirement - O1 is a dual intent visa, so could lead to a green card and the ability to remain even after you've finished working. Worth looking into, at least
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You might want to go back to the start of the thread because it had been quite busy, and almost frantic at times, and you might have missed some posts, especially near the bottom of one page when posts start appearing on a new page - there are 15 posts per page.
Oh dear I don't know how to do that! I think I'm kind of reading everything now because I'm scrolling up and down.

Haha! I'm a female. My name is May but spelt Mai. I'm not sure what this OP is your all talking about?
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:50 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Oh dear I don't know how to do that! I think I'm kind of reading everything now because I'm scrolling up and down.

Haha! I'm a female. My name is May but spelt Mai. I'm not sure what this OP is your all talking about?
OP means 'original poster' i.e. the person who started the thread (in this case, you!)
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

If you qualify, maybe it would be worth thinking about moving here a few years prior to retirement - O1 is a dual intent visa, so could lead to a green card and the ability to remain even after you've finished working. Worth looking into, at least
Ah yes. I have many friends with O1 visas. I'm not looking at going back to that type of work. I don't want to work in Florida. I just wanted a holiday home. Do you mean the O1 visa would help with buying a property wintersong?
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

OP means 'original poster' i.e. the person who started the thread (in this case, you!)
Oh...hehehe! I thought it meant old people then...
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:55 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Ah yes. I have many friends with O1 visas. I'm not looking at going back to that type of work. I don't want to work in Florida. I just wanted a holiday home. Do you mean the O1 visa would help with buying a property wintersong?
No - it would help with moving here permanently, but if you have no intention of working here it's not going to be an option I don't think.

Basically, in order to move here permanently at any time in your life, including after retirement, you'd have to qualify for a visa through work (your option here is O1) or through family (if you have no US relatives and are not planning to marry a US citizen, you won't be able to do this) or through investment (requires a LOT of cash). If none of those pathways are suitable for you, your only option is always going to be as a visitor, not as a resident.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.