Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I guess this is what they call 'homesickness'

I guess this is what they call 'homesickness'

Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:37 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I guess this is what they call 'homesickness'

Originally Posted by Mandana
We've got a slingbox so I'm able to watch British TV which is great.

What is a slingbox?
I looked on their website and it was as clear as mud. Can you watch all UK programmes or just a few?
I'm desperate for some good TV and I cannot get to grips with UKNova and all that bit torrent stuff.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

milkyjoe is just really nicemilkyjoe is just really nicemilkyjoe is just really nicemilkyjoe is just really nicemilkyjoe is just really nicemilkyjoe is just really nicemilkyjoe is just really nicemilkyjoe is just really nice

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Oooh someone from the West Country!

Whereabouts are you from?

I must warn you that it is very hot here and nowhere as beautiful as Somerset and the rednecks aren't as entertaining to me as wurzels but..... it will be nice to have you here.
very hot too here in Oklahoma and not half as pretty as Dartmoor or Exmoor or even Taunton(where I was born).I worked on a farm most my UK life in Cornwall on a farm and was lucky enough that Father-in-Law here had cows,so when I felt homesick I'd go out in the fields with the cows.They made me feel a little better.
When both my parents died last year within 6 months of each other, I went into the garden and built an aviary and put some budgies in it as mum and dad bred them.That helps too with my homesickness.I just try to do things I would have done if I was still in the UK.Guess the next thing will be to get some goats......
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:54 pm
Critical Circuits

Terminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of light

Ooo whereabouts in Herts Terminal? We're from Bucks!
Gosh, how did I miss your post?!?
Hemel Hempstead
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I understand completely. You'll start meeting people when you get out and start circulating more. Until then you can just abuse us.
Well she can abuse you...leave the rest of us out of it.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
What is a slingbox?
I looked on their website and it was as clear as mud. Can you watch all UK programmes or just a few?
I'm desperate for some good TV and I cannot get to grips with UKNova and all that bit torrent stuff.
You hook it up to a TV in the UK and you can control it from the US. You can record onto a DVR as well. It's top of my list for my UK pad...when I get one.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:59 pm
Critical Circuits

Terminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You hook it up to a TV in the UK and you can control it from the US. You can record onto a DVR as well. It's top of my list for my UK pad...when I get one.
That sounds brilliant, where can I pur-chase one of these marvelous gadgets?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Terminal
That sounds brilliant, where can I pur-chase one of these marvelous gadgets?
Internet...I don't know all the details. I haven't researched it thoroughly yet because I haven't a place in the UK.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:14 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Internet...I don't know all the details. I haven't researched it thoroughly yet because I haven't a place in the UK.
Neither have I. No slingbox for me, I'll just have to suffer the singing rabbit.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:19 pm
Critical Circuits

I might be able to pursuade my parents to install it. I've had a quick look on their website http://store.slingmedia.com but would be interested to hear from people who've successfully set it up for cross-continent viewing.

Possibly a topic for another thread.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Terminal
I might be able to pursuade my parents to install it. I've had a quick look on their website http://store.slingmedia.com but would be interested to hear from people who've successfully set it up for cross-continent viewing.

Possibly a topic for another thread.
Hang on...there is someone...I'll see if I can find his posts.

Edit: This thread should answer most of your questions.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=slingbox

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 13th 2007 at 11:43 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 12:03 am
Critical Circuits

Hang on...there is someone...I'll see if I can find his posts.

Edit: This thread should answer most of your questions.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=slingbox
You're a saint for finding that thread!
Many thanks!
Old Jun 14th 2007, 3:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
What is a slingbox?
check out the UK site...but you need someone who has broadband in blighty to hook it up to, and if they have sky, to have more than one tuner, or they might get miffed off with you changing channels on them
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm ..

Tonight I really, really felt like jacking it all in, packing my bags and getting on the first plane out of here

The game was good. The distraction helped. Just can't stop feeling sad. I hate this
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:23 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm ..

Tonight I really, really felt like jacking it all in, packing my bags and getting on the first plane out of here

The game was good. The distraction helped. Just can't stop feeling sad. I hate this
Hold your horses. Only 2 weeks where you are now - you can manage that - then see how you are in the new place.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
Hold your horses. Only 2 weeks where you are now - you can manage that - then see how you are in the new place.
You're right, I know that. That's why I'm still here! Have no intention of giving up so easily, but tonight was as tough as it's got.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.